Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree22Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2011, 07:31 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I don't think anyone can make a comment on this until we actually know what the film is going to look like in this new cut though. Calling it a 'revisionist' version seems a bit unfair at the minute - it might not turn out like the re-released versions of the original Star Wars trilogy!
Revisionist (adjective); attempting to reevaluate and restate the past based on newly acquired standards.

When Ruggero Deodato made Cannibal Holocaust, it was basically common practice for "mondo" style movies to include non-simulated footage of animals being killed or abused. That certainly doesn't make it right or good, but it's a part of the history of these types of movies - and along with the "documentary" footage it shows of executions, helps give the film's violence a level of authenticity that ended with it being labeled a snuff movie, and the director himself tried for murder.

With that in mind, absolutely a 2011 Director's Cut would be "revisionist". That doesn't by default mean that it'll make the film worse, but it will be a new cut for a new era, and as such it fits the definition.

Ruggero Deodato defended the inclusion of the "animal" footage in interviews from about 10 years ago, back when he was doing the convention circuit. He changed his tune only when he showed up to do the commentary track with Jack Kerman for the Grindhouse Releasing DVD for the 25th anniversary DVD release.

The film released in 1980 and the version of the film Shameless and Deodato are preparing now aren't quite the same thing. I don't mind, though; I'm sure some people will prefer this version, and it's not as if anyone who wants the uncut version can't buy any number of Uncensored imports if they so choose*. I tend to think that anyone with an interest in the film's history and legacy should try to see the uncut version, since that's really what all the fuss is about, but if they'd rather watch a new version I guess that's their prerogative.

It's certainly a smart move on Shameless' part, since there's no way in hell the BBFC would ever let the original cut through without cuts. Calling it a "Brand New Director's Cut!" has a nicer ring to it than "Cut by the BBFC", doesn't it?

That said, I'll be... curious. If Deodato just removes the animal cruelty and that's the end of it, then it's almost a non-event. If he goes crazy and starts re-cutting the film or adding special effects or who knows what else, I'll be curious to know what else is changing in a film I've watched more times than I can remember. It could be a "Warriors" scenario, but it could also be more of a "Blade Runner: Final Cut" sort of thing, couldn't it? Guess we'll have to wait and find out.

*(...well, technically UK customs could always make that difficult - but what can you do?)
Old 30th March 2011, 03:42 PM
Cult Rookie

I've got the uncut Grindhouse release of this so probably wonb't invest. I am, however, excited to see what Shameless do with the packaging!
Old 30th March 2011, 08:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,any word on that yet Sarah?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsashewolf View Post
I've got the uncut Grindhouse release of this so probably wonb't invest. I am, however, excited to see what Shameless do with the packaging!
Allow me to be the first to reveal the all-new artwork for the forthcoming Shameless release of Cannibal Holocaust. Sorry if I'm going over anyones head here by revealing this so soon :

Colin654 likes this.
Old 30th March 2011, 11:13 PM
Active Cultist

that got a big laugh out of me, thanks man
Old 31st March 2011, 12:59 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Deodato will be retitling it to Carnival Holocaust and it will feature vegetarian natives. All sight of death and gore will be replaced with funfair rides. The turtle will be CGI'd into a giant candy floss and the girl on a pole will be transformed into a giant leak, as Deodato was watching Twin Town recently. It has already been confirmed that the adultery punishment scene will be replaced with bumper cars.

There you have it. A revised special edition for 2011!

Old 31st March 2011, 07:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Deodato will be retitling it to Carnival Holocaust and it will feature vegetarian natives. All sight of death and gore will be replaced with funfair rides. The turtle will be CGI'd into a giant candy floss and the girl on a pole will be transformed into a giant leak, as Deodato was watching Twin Town recently. It has already been confirmed that the adultery punishment scene will be replaced with bumper cars.

There you have it. A revised special edition for 2011!

A giant leak? I don't suppose they have plumbers in the depths of the Amazon Basin!

Back on topic, I imagine whatever changes Deodato makes to Cannibal Holocaust, it will still be a really tough watch.
Old 31st March 2011, 11:33 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Allow me to be the first to reveal the all-new artwork for the forthcoming Shameless release of Cannibal Holocaust. Sorry if I'm going over anyones head here by revealing this so soon :

LOL!

Love the added touch of a '12' rating
Old 1st April 2011, 09:58 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You do realise that people would complain that the cannibal munching on that huge carrot is too sexual for a dvd cover.
Old 1st April 2011, 12:27 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
You do realise that people would complain that the cannibal munching on that huge carrot is too sexual for a dvd cover.
That would surely be classed as 'sexualised violence' by the BBFC? Not even vegetables are safe from the censor!

Like this? Share it using the links below!