Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Cannibal Holocaust (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   SHAM031/201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The Artwork (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cannibal-holocaust/6458-sham031-201-cannibal-holocaust-artwork.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 10:21 AM

SHAM031/201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The Artwork

So the time has come to reveal Panel A of Shameless' forthcoming Cannibal Holocaust! It's a modern twist on a classic image from the film and I personally like it very much.

I'm using the BD image but the DVD image will be the same.

So what do you all think?

PaulD 11th August 2011 10:26 AM

I like the minimalism of it although I suspect that very reason will divide people. It looks a bit empty on the fight hand side mind. Still, I dig!

Colin654 11th August 2011 10:31 AM

That's awesome! Will there be an alternate flipside because the old Go Video artwork would rock! C:)

Sarah@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin654 (Post 173206)
That's awesome! Will there be an alternate flipside because the old Go Video artwork would rock! C:)

Yep, there will be reverse artwork too. Can't reveal it for a little while though!

BioZombie 11th August 2011 10:34 AM

I like the minimalistic look, but maybe it's just a tad too minimalistic. It could do with something to fill up a bit of the space.

robertzombie 11th August 2011 10:34 AM

Looks awesome!! The flip sid HAS to be the Go artwork though :)

Beyond72 11th August 2011 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Reminds me of this

mr 420 11th August 2011 10:37 AM

Very classy!

Sarah@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 10:39 AM

Here's what the artwork will look like in stores complete with sticker:

Gojirosan 11th August 2011 10:41 AM

I like it. As classy as something depicting a woman impaled on a spike can look!

I may be the only person who does not like the Go artwork!

platostotal 11th August 2011 10:57 AM

I think it looks cool, it will be easy to spot(tho back to the old retailers "my god, is that a spike" shock horror) a few of the more 'fleshy' Shameless cover/titles seem to have gone walkies from my HMV. Flavia, Goddess are nowhere to be seen. As has the Blu of NYR.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 11:36 AM

Looking good! :thumb:

nekromantik 11th August 2011 11:42 AM

I also think its a little too minimalistic for a flick like CH :lol:
bit bland tbh so hope the reverse is better but hey thats just my 2 cents :)

antmumford 11th August 2011 12:06 PM

It looks better with the sticker but the problem is the sticker will be on the cellophane wrap so once it's off it does look a little too bare in my opinion.

Oh and I don't like that 'Blu-ray disc' logo, looks out of place and a bit unnecessary to be honest

Beyond72 11th August 2011 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 173230)
I also think its a little too minimalistic for a flick like CH :lol:

This Japanese designer obviously felt the same! :laugh:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 12:47 PM

Although it seems strange Shameless haven't gone for a really exploitative cover, this rather classy and minimalist piece of artwork fits really well. Most of the more recent releases have just had a black front cover with the title and this one is a little more revealing.

I look forward to seeing what the reverse artwork will be.

nekromantik 11th August 2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 173239)
This Japanese designer obviously felt the same! :laugh:

ha ha very in your face :P

silverferox 11th August 2011 01:01 PM

The green/graphic Japanese lp cover posted earlier was surely the inspiration for this Arrow cover and rightly so - it's a great design.
The reason it works is largely due to the placement of the shadow and the fact that the white of the 'paper' is not entirely covered and instead utilized, allowing it to create a 'fourth' colour. Without these two aspects, the Arrow cover is lacking dimension and balance IMO. This design looks super cheap and not a stand up representation of the movie at this stage.
Kudos, however, going down this route - it's always challenging to maintain the simplicity and crassness of the 80s video cover designs yet inject them with enough sophistication to satisfy today's media/design savvy audience.

Beyond72 11th August 2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverferox (Post 173256)
The green/graphic Japanese lp cover posted earlier was surely the inspiration for this Arrow cover and rightly so - it's a great design.
The reason it works is largely due to the placement of the shadow and the fact that the white of the 'paper' is not entirely covered and instead utilized, allowing it to create a 'fourth' colour. Without these two aspects, the Arrow cover is lacking dimension and balance IMO. This design looks super cheap and not a stand up representation of the movie at this stage.
Kudos, however, going down this route - it's always challenging to maintain the simplicity and crassness of the 80s video cover designs yet inject them with enough sophistication to satisfy today's media/design savvy audience.

Yeah I was going to say that.

:tongue1:

antmumford 11th August 2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 173270)
Yeah I was going to say that.

:tongue1:

Yeah me too, you beat me to it :rolleyes:

Calum 11th August 2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverferox (Post 173256)

Arrow had nothing to do with this release.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 07:26 PM

Not thrilled about this artwork. Didn't like it much on the EC dvd either.... but that's what we have a reverse for.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 07:48 PM

Probably wise to use this for the public eye....don't want the Tories starting up a witchhunt again do we?;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 173369)
Probably wise to use this for the public eye....don't want the Tories starting up a witchhunt again do we?;)

I was wondering about that earlier too.

With CH being such a controversially well known film, have Shameless purposefully down-played the artwork?

Most likely not, but it did cross my mind!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 08:19 PM

And as Stephen said....there's always the reverse.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Compared to the uncut Australian version, the cover is replete with information!

silverferox 11th August 2011 08:30 PM

I meant SHAMELESS and not ARROW! :o

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wrong cover, it should be this one:

Attachment 18542

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 08:34 PM

Yeah the guy that worked for Vipco's Screamtime went to work for them.....:happy:

nekromantik 11th August 2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 173407)

Attachment 18542

yeah thats the dvd I own.
its a great package!

Gojirosan 11th August 2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 173407)

Attachment 18542

I like that cover a lot.

Baseball Fury 11th August 2011 09:10 PM

Me too, but I'm a fan of black print on Matt.black, it can look incredible.

antmumford 12th August 2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 173420)
I like that cover a lot.

Me too, looks classy and expensive

Prince_Vajda 12th August 2011 11:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
:decision:

Greetings!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2011 11:55 AM

I think it works better without the face there as it makes the notorious image of the woman on a spike stand out more, along with the fantastic tagline. Maybe Shameless thought the same?

antmumford 12th August 2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 173552)
:decision:

Greetings!

The second one is perfect, that's what was bugging me, the text needs to be moved to the botoom right corner. BINGO!! Please Shameless change it, you know you want to :tongue1:

nekromantik 12th August 2011 12:14 PM

imo it just looks cheap!! like something someone would do as a quickie on photoshop!
no offence :lol:

I may use my Aussy dvd box for the Shameless blu :)

Daemonia 12th August 2011 01:25 PM

I like it. Shocking but classy. Let's hope this is a good seller for Shameless. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2011 02:27 PM

I really like this cover.

It actually reminds me of the recent UK Suspiria cover.

It doesn't need to be full of graphic images. The film is called CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST for heavens sake, if that makes you think its a rom com or Adam Sandler flick then thats your problem.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2011 03:25 PM

Good point, with the title Cannibal Holocaust and the tagline The Most Controversial Film Ever Made, I think the BD/DVD would pretty much sell itself!