Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2009, 12:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

There is no doubt the Jess Franco movies Awful Dr Orloff, Female Vampire and Virgin Among the Living Dead would pass uncut.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 8th July 2009, 02:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I've been contemplating my navel. Even better I've been contemplating some of the AB/Vipco/Hardgore releases from the past 10 years that experienced BBFC problems, and wondered how they would fare now.......

Maniac - Would pass uncut
Toolbox Murders - Would pass uncut
Night Of The Demon - Would pass uncut
Pranks - Would pass uncut (probably a 15 now)
Mark Of The Devil - Would pass uncut
The Mutilator - Would pass uncut
Tombs Of The Blind Dead - May pass uncut
Island Of Death - Would restore most previous cuts though I could still see problems with the rape/urination scenes. The cuts would be minimal today.
House On The Edge Of The Park - Again quite a few cuts could be restored to this though the razor scene would have extreme difficulties. Far less cuts than Island Of Death but certainly edited nonetheless.
Cannibal Holocaust - Would restore most of the human violence (not sure about the mudball/dildo scene) though the animal killings would still be cut.
Cannibal Ferox - All the human violence would be restored though the closeups of the hook insertions would be cut. Animal killings would also be cut.
Last Cannibal World - I can't see this being treated any different than before. It's vaguely possible that the rape of Me Me Lai could be restored though very unlikely. Who knows with this one. The crocodile scene would however be cut.
Eaten Alive - All the human violence would be restored (and would have last time if Vipco had submitted the uncut print). The initiation rape in the camp would probably pass but I'm not sure about the other two (one of which is reused footage of the Me Me Lai rape above). The animal fights/killings would not.
Mountain Of The Cannibal God - Can't see anything being waived to this. The additional footage in the overseas print (orgy & pig scene) would probably pass.
Haven't seen Last Cannibal World, would be interested in seeing it now. Yes doesn't sound to me that the rape cuts would be waived.

The Mutilator, Toolbox Murders, Pranks, Night of the Demon would pass easily now. Maniac I think would be slightly more problematic but should pass. It would be interesting to see what would happen regarding Tombs of the Blind Dead. Not 100% sure it would pass although I know everyone else thinks it will. Island of Death still going to have a few problems but as mentioned the cuts should be fairly minimal now. The lengthy scene showing a woman having her face burnt would easily pass. House on the Edge of the Park would suffer the most cuts of the ones listed. The scenes showing David Hess torturing Cindy including tracing the knife across her naked body (similar to Satan's Slave) will still have to be cut. Also some of the rapes made it look like the women were enjoying it (eg the bedroom rape). I think the cuts could be reduced to about 4m. Perhaps less.

Last edited by vincenzo; 30th July 2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 8th July 2009, 02:43 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yes I agree there, Angel. House On The Edge would be the most problematic even today. I can't see them cutting Maniac now though. In the two currently cut scenes no rape, binding or sexually graphic footage is involved. I have to be honest (prepare for the arrows) and say I prefer the edited version, simply because the strangulation scene sends me to sleep.

I think Tombs would pass for a similar reason. It isn't a pleasure rape or a graphic one in terms of gore/torture. It's also quite a pointless scene but there we go.

Last Cannibal World is one of my favourites of this genre (apart from that obligatory repulsive crocodile scene) . Simply because of the excellent acting of Massimo Foschi. I normally despise rape scenes but I wouldn't have cut this one because it was important to the character's 'dehumanisation'. The fact that Me Me Lai is anally raped by Foschi (in the cut version he simply punches her and the scene ends) would understandably be a BBFC problem though.
Old 8th July 2009, 02:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Haven't seen the uncut Sadomania but if the shot is explicit then it's unlikely to pass. The BBFC wouldn't normally pass scenes like that.

The Torturer contains a few scenes like that and this is a film I have seen.
Would the BBFC pass this film uncut? No.

Yes I don't see how they could justify the cuts to Maniac now. There is no explicit nudity which would always be the main problem.

Last edited by Angel; 8th July 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 8th July 2009, 02:48 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I hope the uncut Ichi The Killer is resubmitted for regular DVD release. This is another one which should show us how far the BBFC will go today.
Old 8th July 2009, 02:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes it will be interesting to see re ICHI. It's an extremely tough film. I just hope it is submitted uncut. Much stronger than Maniac.
Old 8th July 2009, 05:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Never seen an uncut ICHI yet.It's brutal then?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th July 2009, 05:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

You may not have to wait long for Ichi. It has a proposed re-release date of 19/10 this year to co-incide with the Blu release. Let's hope they try and submit an uncut print...
Old 8th July 2009, 06:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's very brutal, Reaps, with some very strong scenes of violence and torture.

For the BBFC though it was the several sequences showing women being mercilessly beaten/raped that was the main concern for them. But that was 2002. Fast forward 7 years and I doubt very much they will be quite as strict now. The scenes are brutal but there is very little in the way of nudity. The only cut guaranteed today would be to the infamous sexualised torture sequence where a blade is used against a woman's breasts. No chance of this ever getting through.

The film was passed uncut in Australia.
Old 9th July 2009, 09:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Haven't seen the uncut Sadomania but if the shot is explicit then it's unlikely to pass. The BBFC wouldn't normally pass scenes like that.
The shot in Sadomania is silly, you can tell she is not pushing the needle into her nipple.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 9th July 2009 at 12:05 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!