Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2009, 10:44 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Loops, that Cruel Camera documentary is incredible! Sooo interesting! Thanks for that
Old 14th November 2009, 10:51 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
Certainly makes me feel better watching it now, Mark. Just registered on the worldwide forum too. That'll be more hours lost when I should be working
Account activated, Scribbler. Welcome to WWDVD too.

Quote:
P.S. Now if anyone can convince me the animal deaths in Cannibal Holocaust were faked too, I might finally get around to watching it! (joke)
I wish!
Old 14th November 2009, 11:18 AM
Cultist in Training

Much obliged, Vincenzo. Marks screencaps clearly show the dogs muzzled. Something that probably wouldn't have shown up on VHS or TV.

Re Holocaust, I always hoped that the animal-cruelty-free version would be released separately (was it the Grindhouse release?), but I believe it's only available as an extra with the full uncut version. I know all the animal cruelty is cut from all UK prints, but so is all the cannibalism apparently, which makes it a pretty pointless purchase.

I know what you're all thinking... he's worried about a couple of dogs biting each other, but quite happy to watch human beings stab, chop, & dismember one another

SORRY, DOUBLE POSTED. I haven't even started on the Stella's yet either!
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Last edited by scribbler; 14th November 2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Double posted
Old 14th November 2009, 11:26 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
I know all the animal cruelty is cut from all UK prints, but so is all the cannibalism apparently, which makes it a pretty pointless purchase.
The UK Vipco contains nearly all of the cannibalism but the rape scenes and animal killings are basically missing. It would be interesting to see how the BBFC would handle this today, as some (not all) of the rape footage could be waived.

Vipco's Cannibal Ferox is pre-edited and pretty much misses everything. Including cannibals.

Quote:
I know what you're all thinking... he's worried about a couple of dogs biting each other, but quite happy to watch human beings stab, chop, & dismember one another
Quite a few people feel the same way, Scribbler. At the end of the day the violence and gore is simply makeup. Animal cruelty is very much real alas, though thankfully Death Hunt is definitely faked.
Old 14th November 2009, 05:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I agree Mark. Absolutely atrocious. Most horsefalls are bad but they must be among the worst.

I don't have any problem with the BBFC removing shots like this, but I wish the editors would do a better job. The ones in Ulzana's Raid and Conan The Destroyer look ridiculous.
It would be preferable if films in times past hadn't used techniques like this, but unfortunately they did. So I'm kind of torn between wanting the film preserved in the form it was intended and at the same time not wanting the material present in the films. That's a bit like wanting the nude children painted out of the old masters bacause it's a bit paedophilic, it all seems rather pointless. Personally, I think films should be restored, preserved and presented as the director intended, even if we find the methods of executing that material somewhat horrific. To remove those scenes tends to almost prove apologist and lets the director off the hook. I say keep the scenes in and let's not rewrite cinema history and whitewash what some of the old directors got up to.

But, like you say, clumsy editing sometimes make the cuts rather obvious and jarring. Smoother editing would be welcome.
Old 14th November 2009, 06:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
It would be preferable if films in times past hadn't used techniques like this, but unfortunately they did. So I'm kind of torn between wanting the film preserved in the form it was intended and at the same time not wanting the material present in the films. That's a bit like wanting the nude children painted out of the old masters bacause it's a bit paedophilic, it all seems rather pointless. Personally, I think films should be restored, preserved and presented as the director intended, even if we find the methods of executing that material somewhat horrific. To remove those scenes tends to almost prove apologist and lets the director off the hook. I say keep the scenes in and let's not rewrite cinema history and whitewash what some of the old directors got up to.
Yep, I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old 14th November 2009, 06:30 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I agree too, D. Under current BBFC policy they have no choice but to cut footage like this though. However, the Animals Act appears to be becoming slowly 'restructured' (even Pink Flamingos had its infamous chicken scene passed intact recently though the actual DVD release was cancelled), so who knows how long this policy will continue to be maintained.
Old 14th November 2009, 06:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In an interview with DVD World, the guys from Severin said the BBFC have no legal basis fo cutting animal cruelty.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 14th November 2009, 06:45 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Cinematograph Films
(Animals) Act 1937

Severin can say what they like. If the BBFC 'have no legal basis for cutting animal cruelty' then they could be sued and defeated. They haven't been.
Old 14th November 2009, 07:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

If anything the addition of the Cruel Cinema documentary especially to the westerns that the BBFC had to cut would've been a good idea.it would highlight the cruel techniques used (even today in China & India) at the time & explain they have no place in a civilised society.As mentioned by removing the cruelty they are letting directors & producers off the hook.These things went on for years whether people like it or not & still do in many countries.

Like this? Share it using the links below!