LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2016, 09:38 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen the original version of The Postman Always Rings Twice, Inspector. It's been in my wishlist for several years though.

I have seen the remake when i was a lot younger. It was one of those sexy romps that used to be on tv in the mid 80's. I haven't seen it since.
You should remedy that post-haste – it is a bona fide film noir classic.
Old 30th August 2016, 07:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981 )

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981 )

As remakes goes The Postman Always Rings Twice is not particularly bad,but neither is it particularly exceptional either.It has a good cast with its two leads Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange and with a script by David Mamet and directed Bob Rafelson you be thinking it could of be a minor classic.Its well made and the diner looks suitably grubby and run down a bit like the Bates Motel but with better room service,although they both have bathrooms with questionable health and safety.One of the main problems being that most of its noir like qualities that was in the 1946 version are played down drastically and remake just feels like a melodrama.The remake looses a lot of its tension and suspense because certain parts of the story are not in the remake,in fact everything at first seems far to easy for the pair of lovers.Lange and Nicholson while being great in there roles,do not have the screen chemistry of Garfield and Turner,the screen does not sizzle with sexual tension like it does in the earlier version,in fact Lange and Nicholson's kitchen table love making seems particularly grubby and voyeuristic and watching Nicholson grope at Lange's ( or body double?) panties does nothing but make you feel a little uneasy as Nicholson courtship pretty much starts out as rape,with Lange eventually giving in to Nicholson attentions,( not a great way to start a romance) The other problem being is that John Colicos as Nick Papadakis gives the most stereotypical portrayal of a Greek since Harry Enfield,and you can not but sympathise with the poor devil for getting stuck with Lange's Cora. Nicholson is ok but seems oddly lacking in his usual mannerisms and antics,and could of livened the film up no end with a bit of scenery chewing,and it certainly is no where near as good as his performance in Chinatown.It is worth re-watching just to see how good the original is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postman_always_rings_twice_xlg.jpg (95.0 KB, 3 views)

Old 1st September 2016, 08:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Big Sleep (1946)

The Big Sleep (1946)

It’s hard for me to decide which is my favourite Bogart movie, it’s even harder still trying to decide which of the two films, The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon (1941) I think is the better. In fact, its darned impossible both are well made and both have great stories, and both of course have Bogart at his peak. Bogarts Philip Marlowe, is fast talking quick witted and most of all very mischievous, when he goes to get information from Geiger’s Rare bookshop, he effects a mildly camp and geekish persona which shows that Bogart could do comedy just as easily as he could punch out a bad guy. He also does a rather nice double take when his DEA friend Bernie jokingly accuses him of killing the chauffeur, who they have just fished out of the docks. There is so many great little ticks and mannerisms from Bogart throughout the movie, and some nice little moments littered throughout also. When Bacall goes to see Marlowe she perches on the edge of his desk, trying not to scratch her knee, until Marlowe notice’s her discomfort and casual says “go ahead and scratch” it is a nice moment that shows that there is some great chemistry going on between the two of them. In fact, the pair look so good on the screen together and act really well with each other it is no surprise they would romantically involve with each other off screen. Mind you Marlowe does a lot of flirting in this film, book assistant across the road from Geiger shop, the female taxi cab driver and also fending off the affections of Bacall screen sister. I very much doubt whether I can choose between this film of The Maltese Falcon seeing as there both pretty perfect, one thing you tend to notice more now than ever is that boy did people smoke a lot back then.

Old 1st September 2016, 08:10 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Nice review, Inspector.

Falcon just edges it over Big Sleep for me.
Old 1st September 2016, 08:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Nice review, Inspector.

Im torn,have to also say the Blu of Big sleep is pretty damn good,picture is a little soft in some scenes,but hey its 60 odd years old so give it a break.

Old 1st September 2016, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Nice review, Inspector.

I'm also really enjoying reading your reviews.

In terms of the Bogart films noir, I don't know which is the better film, but The Maltese Falcon is my favourite. There is something about the level of unknown details in The Big Sleep, something famously reflected in the exchange with Raymond Chandler who didn't know who killed the chauffeur either, which makes it more of a challenge than the John Houston movie. Every time I watched The Big Sleep, I try and figure out whether it was Brody, Lundgren, or death by suicide.
Old 1st September 2016, 08:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Im torn,have to also say the Blu of Big sleep is pretty damn good,picture is a little soft in some scenes,but hey its 60 odd years old so give it a break.
Good to hear it looks nice. It's on my wish-list so I will definitely picking it up at some point. To my shame I have yet to pick up a single Warner Archive Blu release despite wanting a fair few of their titles released so far.
Old 1st September 2016, 08:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Good to hear it looks nice. It's on my wish-list so I will definitely picking it up at some point. To my shame I have yet to pick up a single Warner Archive Blu release despite wanting a fair few of their titles released so far.
I picked up the polish blu from Amazon prime for 13 inc post,and apart from the cover its the Warner disc with english on the disc cover region free.As Maltese Falcon,I picked up the French blu ridiculously cheap ,again apart from the cover its a Warner disc region free.

Old 1st September 2016, 09:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
I picked up the polish blu from Amazon prime for 13 inc post,and apart from the cover its the Warner disc with english on the disc cover region free.As Maltese Falcon,I picked up the French blu ridiculously cheap ,again apart from the cover its a Warner disc region free.
You can usually get the US disc of The Big Sleep for around £12. I have the fancy UK steelbook of The Maltese Falcon and have owned it for a while now. I'm not sure how much I paid for it but it must have been about £15.
Old 1st September 2016, 09:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
You can usually get the US disc of The Big Sleep for around £12. I've have the fancy UK steelbook of The Maltese Falcon and have owned it for a while now. I'm not sure how much I paid for it but it must have been about £15.
yeah that steel-book is going for £ 32 on Amazon,buy why no ordinary blu release in UK?

Like this? Share it using the links below!