Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree919Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2016, 04:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Never seen that film. Sounds good though.
Old 26th March 2016, 04:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Never seen that film. Sounds good though.
I heard about it when, in reference to crime films in Boston, it was mentioned in a review of Black Mass, so it's on my 'to watch' list as well.
Old 26th March 2016, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I heard about it when, in reference to crime films in Boston, it was mentioned in a review of Black Mass, so it's on my 'to watch' list as well.
Have you seen The Town, Nos.

I really like that. There's quite a lot filmed at Fenway Park and the streets surrounding.
Old 26th March 2016, 05:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Have you seen The Town, Nos.

I really like that. There's quite a lot filmed at Fenway Park and the streets surrounding.
Yeah – top film. With directing that, Gone Baby Gone and Argo, plus producing, writing highly regarded screenplays (including winning an Oscar for Good Will Hunting), Ben Affleck has really established himself as a man of many talents.

Needless to say, I have high expectations for Live by Night, another Boston-based crime drama based on a novel by Dennis Lehane, which Affleck is producing, writing, directing, and is playing the lead.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th March 2016, 05:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah – top film. With directing that, Gone Baby Gone and Argo, plus producing, writing highly regarded screenplays (including winning an Oscar for Good Will Hunting), Ben Affleck has really established himself as a man of many talents.

Needless to say, I have high expectations for Live by Night, another Boston-based crime drama based on a novel by Dennis Lehane, which Affleck is producing, writing, directing, and is playing the lead.
I didn't know about that. Look forward to seeing it.
Old 26th March 2016, 05:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I didn't know about that. Look forward to seeing it.
According to Wikipedia, it's currently being filmed in Georgia (strangely no mention of location shooting in Boston) for release next year.

Edit: actually, according to the IMDb, the film has been shot in various towns in Massachusetts, including Boston.
Old 26th March 2016, 05:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Nice review of Eddie Coyle, Inspector. One I've got my eye on for in a future MOC sale.

As for The Town, I found it a little underwhelming myself.
Old 28th March 2016, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Big Heat (1953)

Wow! What a tremendous film! I'm sure the good Inspector has reviewed this earlier on the thread so i won't go into the who's, what's, how's and why's of the plot. Needless to say it's a gripper from the opening seconds and a tight script, crackling dialogue, Oscar baiting performances, strong violence and stunning direction from Fritz Lang, guarantee to keep you glued to the screen.

I would just like to pause and say how brilliant Gloria Grahame came over. Not usually a favourite of mine but here she practically steals the film from under Glenn Ford's nose. Not an easy feat as he was as tough and calculated as they come and his performance surely was a precursor to the classic crime films of the 60's and 70's. In fact the whole film seemed to have sequences that would influence film makers for years to come. Grahame however gave a multi-faceted performance. At times extremely funny and at others a dame to kill for or indeed be killed by. She was an absolute joy to behold. In fact everyone was on top of their game here. From nasty Lee Marvin to smaller roles for Dorothy Green, Jeanette Nolan and Alexander Scourby, each and everyone just so memorable.

The Big Heat is the best 'new to me' noir since i saw Rififi last year.

Old 28th March 2016, 10:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The Big Heat (1953)

Wow! What a tremendous film! I'm sure the good Inspector has reviewed this earlier on the thread so i won't go into the who's, what's, how's and why's of the plot. Needless to say it's a gripper from the opening seconds and a tight script, crackling dialogue, Oscar baiting performances, strong violence and stunning direction from Fritz Lang, guarantee to keep you glued to the screen.

I would just like to pause and say how brilliant Gloria Grahame came over. Not usually a favourite of mine but here she practically steals the film from under Glenn Ford's nose. Not an easy feat as he was as tough and calculated as they come and his performance surely was a precursor to the classic crime films of the 60's and 70's. In fact the whole film seemed to have sequences that would influence film makers for years to come. Grahame however gave a multi-faceted performance. At times extremely funny and at others a dame to kill for or indeed be killed by. She was an absolute joy to behold. In fact everyone was on top of their game here. From nasty Lee Marvin to smaller roles for Dorothy Green, Jeanette Nolan and Alexander Scourby, each and everyone just so memorable.

The Big Heat is the best 'new to me' noir since i saw Rififi last year.

Tis a brilliant film nasty Lee Marvin gets what he deserved in it to.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 28th March 2016, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Tis a brilliant film nasty Lee Marvin gets what he deserved in it to.
Most definitely. Although it was off screen it was still quite shocking what he did to Grahame. As was what happened to Ford's wife.

Like this? Share it using the links below!