All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2013, 04:50 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
I know there may be film adaptations of both Portal and Half-Life. I believe JJ Abrams is currently in talks with Gabe Newell about it. However the question is would it work?

I love the Half Life series so a film would worry me. But i trust Valve not to sell it short and only allow a film of the highest quality be made. Half Life is up there with GTA for me as the two greatest video game series we have ever and maybe ever will see so i would be very very nervous about any film about anyone of thses.

Half Life film would have to pull off the action and in equal measure the love story between Alex and Gordon. Both elements need to co exist to create the tension of the game series.
SCM likes this.
Old 15th May 2013, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I love the Half Life series so a film would worry me. But i trust Valve not to sell it short and only allow a film of the highest quality be made. Half Life is up there with GTA for me as the two greatest video game series we have ever and maybe ever will see so i would be very very nervous about any film about anyone of thses.

Half Life film would have to pull off the action and in equal measure the love story between Alex and Gordon. Both elements need to co exist to create the tension of the game series.
That's why it seems like Abrams is the right man for the job
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 15th May 2013, 07:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Hitman GOOD
Max Payne BAD
Resident Evil GOOD
Silent Hill GOOD
Doom BAD
Alone in the Dark BAD
House of the Dead BAD
Dead or Alive BAD
Super Mario BAD
Tekken BAD
Far Cry BAD
Street Fighter BAD
Street Fighter Chun-Li BAD
Double Dragon BAD
The King of Fighters BAD
Prince of Persia GOOD
Mortal Kombat GOOD
Of all of those that I've seen, I would label every single one bad, including Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat. I haven't seen a good film of a game yet. And many of those I wouldn't even bother with.

I'm almost intrigued by the upcoming Warcraft movie, because Duncan Jones is directing. Moon was superb, and Source Code was a pretty smart follow up too.

I kind of wish he was tackling something more meaty like Bioshock though, as I've never had the slightest bit of interest in World of Warcraft. Fantasy bores me. I don't even like the Lord of the Rings films.
Old 15th May 2013, 09:10 PM
Cult Master

Not a Bioshock fan?
Old 15th May 2013, 09:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I've always quite liked the film of Dead Or Alive.

It is what it is an adaptation of a video game, filled with gorgeous girls, exotic locales, over the top action and completed by tons of sfx.

I've never been sure why people didn't like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215px-DOA.jpg (24.8 KB, 4 views)
Demoncrat, SCM and 6566329 like this.
Old 15th May 2013, 10:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Not a Bioshock fan?
?

Yeah, I love Bioshock! That's why I said I wish Duncan Jones was tackling something like that instead of Warcraft, because that I would be interested in. It was on the cards once. And it's based on the works of Ayn Rand, so could have some substance.
SCM likes this.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:00 PM
Cult Master

Sorry i took that up wrong
Old 6th July 2015, 10:03 AM
Cultist in Training

Default Last of us

Sam Raimi is currently producing a 'Last of Us' movie so I have very high hopes for that one. Neil Druckmann, who wrote the video game script is being allowed to convert his story into film format, hopefully this one won't have the stench of hollywood cash in all over it, seems they actually care about making a good movie for the fans.
Old 9th May 2016, 04:05 PM
Cult Master

Five Horror Movie Atari Games That Are So Bad It's Good

All I can say is...computer game graphics have come on a long way!
Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th May 2016, 05:35 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've always quite liked the film of Dead Or Alive.

It is what it is an adaptation of a video game, filled with gorgeous girls, exotic locales, over the top action and completed by tons of sfx.

I've never been sure why people didn't like it.
Totally with you on this one. A video game adaptation is kind of its own thing where normal film rules don't apply. The ones that suck, that really destroy me, are the ones that take themselves far too seriously, such as Silent Hill. The exception, I'd say, is Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, because that was amazing (and possibly very dated now). Probably doesn't count, mind, because it wasn't specifically based on a game, unlike FF7: Advent Children which was (and was terrible).

Bad (but secretly amazing): Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Resident Evil, DOA, Doom and Street Fighter: The Movie.

Bad (but just bad, man): Silent Hill, Super Mario Bros, Double Dragon, Tomb Raider, FF7: Advent Children, Hitman 1 and 2, Resident Evil: Apocalypse.

Good (but, you know, still not amazing): Prince of Persia (had enough fun stuff and star power, including Gemma Arteton in all her glory, to make it worthwhile) and Need for Speed (got some legitimately ace car chases).

There's absolutely nothing interesting in the World of Warcraft trailer for me, which is a shame because Moon and Source Code are the bee's knees.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!