Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

anythinggoes78 30th September 2016 10:35 AM

http://signaloneentertainment.com/wp...er-510x653.jpg

This arrived yesterday, a film i have never seen but heard many good things about

Frankenhooker 30th September 2016 12:16 PM

The Panic In Needle Park is fantastic, still Pacino's best performance for my money.

Susan Foreman 30th September 2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 506837)
Took advantage of the Arrow sale to grab what I missed in the last two sales because I was poor :/

Will use the points for either The Guyver and Driller Killer, or just save them for a later big boxset

I kept my points for something special, such as the HGL box set, but ...'Hello - slap in the face time'!

Sam 30th September 2016 12:29 PM

Picked up these from Poundland. Despite seeming a bit of a silly premise for a book the 'If you like ... Tarantino' book includes some decent content re: slashers, spaghetti westerns etc. so worth a look for a quid! 'Outcast' was picked up following Demlike's recommendation on here...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...37b450bb21.jpg

Demoncrat 30th September 2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 506856)
Picked up these from Poundland. Despite seeming a bit of a silly premise for a book the 'If you like ... Tarantino' book includes some decent content re: slashers, spaghetti westerns etc. so worth a look for a quid! 'Outcast' was picked up following Demlike's recommendation on here...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...37b450bb21.jpg

I could make a very cruel comment about that book. ;);)

Sam 30th September 2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 506859)

Don't hold back, I won't be offended ... I didn't write the thing!!! [emoji1]

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 506859)

Do tell!

fuzzymctiger 30th September 2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 506855)
I kept my points for something special, such as the HGL box set, but ...'Hello - slap in the face time'!

You and me both Susan!! Was very annoyed about how they handled that, but hasn't stopped me from putting in a preorder at Amazon for it!

Think I will go for saving for later

fuzzymctiger 30th September 2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 506843)
I got Stray Cat Rock from Arrow sale and an Iron Maiden ticket!

I also got Hex, from Amazon, I have tried watching it twice but it's difficult to get in to, it's been dubbed into Cantonese so the lips don't match the speech and the subtitles are mistimed too. It's unfortunate as it seems like a good film if you can get past all of that.

Enjoy the Maiden concert!!! It's truly a fantastic tour and Bruce sounds as good as ever. Hopefully they don't change the setlist much as that was also great. Shame the shirts were so much though, I spent $200 on 3 shirts and a bag!

Demoncrat 30th September 2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 506860)
Don't hold back, I won't be offended ... I didn't write the thing!!! [emoji1]

If You Like Quentin Tarantino.......then you will buy any shit we tell you to. See!! City On Fire and sit agasp that your idol has feet of clay. and is a barefaced thief, and his taste in music is shit....:laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 506870)
If You Like Quentin Tarantino.......then you will buy any shit we tell you to. See!! City On Fire and sit agasp that your idol has feet of clay. and is a barefaced thief, and his taste in music is shit....:laugh:

Not a big fan of QT then, D?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 506870)

I'm sure I have mentioned this before but, when I was doing my dissertation module on the International Film MA, everyone was shown a selection of previous titles, one of which was something along the lines of "Quentin Tarantino: Referencing Genius or Cinematic Plagiarist?".

There is undoubtedly a continuum because many modern directors reference the work of other filmmakers. However, it is undoubtedly a case of whether they do it subtly or overtly, doing so with a slight musical cue in one scene or take the entire story from one film, characters from another, costumes from a third, camera angles from one director, editing styles from another, and music from 10 other films.

MuckyFunster 30th September 2016 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 506878)
. However, it is undoubtedly a case of whether they do it subtly or overtly, doing so with a slight musical cue in one scene or take the entire story from one film, characters from another, costumes from a third, camera angles from one director, editing styles from another, and music from 10 other films.

Or the entire opening sequence from Django. Song and all!

I like QT movies. I think he's upfront when making films, makes no attempt to claim he's doing this kind of thing for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeypedro 30th September 2016 03:17 PM

9 Attachment(s)
This weeks deliveries and a few charity shop pick ups.

platostotal 30th September 2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 506856)
'Outcast' was picked up following Demlike's recommendation on here..

Snap, should have grabbed it first time, only £1

http://i63.tinypic.com/5d57on.jpg

tho my recommendation came from Demdike, Demlike must be his friendly clone:lol::lol:

Sam 30th September 2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 506885)
Snap, should have grabbed it first time, only £1

http://i63.tinypic.com/5d57on.jpg

tho my recommendation came from Demdike, Demlike must be his friendly clone[emoji38][emoji38]

Oops, not sure why I thought it was Demlike! My Poundland purchase post is fast turning into my most provocative yet!! [emoji38]

Nordicdusk 30th September 2016 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 183161

Finally getting my hands on this glad i didnt import the R1 release now the postage alone was what i paid for the film in the Arrow sale.

Nordicdusk 30th September 2016 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This just came in the post

Attachment 183162

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 04:39 PM

@Sam & Plato

Hope you two like Outcast.

I suppose if you don't you haven't exactly broke the bank.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 04:41 PM

I haven't just bought them, but HMV shipped their exclusive (Premium Collection) BDs of The Shining, Soylent Green, The Omega Man, Them! & Logan's Run. I'll try and post photos when they arrive tomorrow.

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 506897)
I haven't just bought them, but HMV shipped their exclusive (Premium Collection) BDs of The Shining, Soylent Green, The Omega Man, Them! & Logan's Run. I'll try and post photos when they arrive tomorrow.

Please do! I need to see if these are normal amaray cases in the slipcovers. If they're digipaks, they can keep them.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 506899)
Please do! I need to see if these are normal amaray cases in the slipcovers. If they're digipaks, they can keep them.

I'll try and post as many as I can so you get a good idea of the artwork, box and sleeve design (if they are Amaray) and if there are any slipcovers.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 04:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Poundland purchases. Mexican Day of the Dead tea light holder skull included.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 506905)

I didn't think much of the Quarantine movie – I hold [REC] (and the sequels) in very high esteem – but haven't seen the sequel. Is it any good or was it a blind buy?

Despite its flaws, I actually quite enjoyed House at the End of the Street.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 506907)
I didn't think much of the Quarantine movie – I hold [REC] (and the sequels) in very high esteem – but haven't seen the sequel. Is it any good or was it a blind buy?

Despite its flaws, I actually quite enjoyed House at the End of the Street.

All blind buys. If one or two are worth keeping it will have been £6 well spent. Plus the skull of course...that's brilliantly effective.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 506911)
All blind buys. If one or two are worth keeping it will have been £6 well spent. Plus the skull of course...that's brilliantly effective.

Just going by the ones I have seen (House at the End of the Street, Sharknado 2) and the option to watch all the others by the light of a novelty skull, it looks like a very successful spending spree.

Nordicdusk 30th September 2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 506905)

Might have to take a drive in a while and pick up some of these.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 506915)

Same here.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 506915)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 506917)
Same here.

I'll have another look next Friday.

I want to get another skull as well. It's made of pot and £1 is a bit ridiculously cheap as a selling price.

J Harker 30th September 2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 506897)

They look really nice. I look forward to the piccies Nos. Does anyone know if they'll be available instore?

Nordicdusk 30th September 2016 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just back from €1.50 land three blind buys.

Attachment 183172

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 506931)
Just back from €1.50 land three blind buys.

Attachment 183172

Nice one, Nordy. Stoker is excellent.

platostotal 30th September 2016 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 506918)

I want to get another skull as well. It's made of pot and £1

Made of pot eh? should make Halloween viewing enjoyable...:lol::lol::lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 506947)
Made of pot eh? should make Halloween viewing enjoyable...:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2016 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Poundland skull welcomes in October.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st October 2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 506933)
Nice one, Nordy. Stoker is excellent.

Agreed – a magnificent film. :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st October 2016 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A thing of beauty.

Attachment 183193

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st October 2016 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my answer courtesy of Instagram. [emoji38]

Attachment 183196

monkeypedro 1st October 2016 10:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This morning i took a journey into Oxford and visit Fopp to pick up the 3 remaining Shameless titles missing from my collection from the current promotion instore and ended up spending £51.

The BFI flipside discs were needed to complete the set although i already have the Mondo Macabro release of Symptoms so had to double dip and Metrodome discs were only £2 each and good movies that i had previously seen at festivals. Saturday Night & Sunday Morning and The Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner were blind buys.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st October 2016 12:20 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 506958)
Got my answer courtesy of Instagram. [emoji38]

Attachment 183196

I have taken some photos of Them! – #1 in the collection. I didn't realise they were numbered, so I have bought numbers 1, 3, 4, 6 and 7! I can't find anywhere with a list of the spine numbers, so will probably double dip on some of them in order to have all 10.