Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 508222)
And yet got a like from Kierarts anyway! [emoji38]
Duly amended Nos.

That sums up kierarts propensity to 'like' things well!

I'll have a look at the amended post now.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 01:24 PM

I received these from Music Magpie today, part of a big order I placed of DVDs and BDs in the 2 for £5 section of their website – more are on their way.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8617/3...9ba76a93_z.jpg

trebor8273 14th October 2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 508220)
Hmmmm, I see Amazon lists more extras than the Arrow site. Strange.

with how arrow have been of late it could be true!

first you dont get stuff on time and now you get less extras if you order direct

keirarts 14th October 2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 508227)
That sums up kierarts propensity to 'like' things well!

I'll have a look at the amended post now.

I'm just a friendly guy! masks all the bodies in the basement. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 508231)
I'm just a friendly guy! masks all the bodies in the basement. ;)

There was no slight or offence intended – your 'likes' are always welcome and appreciated. :)

keirarts 14th October 2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 508232)
There was no slight or offence intended – your 'likes' are always welcome and appreciated. :)

Non taken. :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 508229)
with how arrow have been of late it could be true!

first you dont get stuff on time and now you get less extras if you order direct

Hahaha, they'd never live something like that down.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 03:53 PM

@ Baka

You're right i picked up The Final Girls a few weeks back. Thought i'd save it for Christmas though as i didn't have much in the way of modern slashers to watch.

I look forward to your thoughts on Lost After Dark. It's one i've been contemplating since Nordy gave it a good review months ago.

platostotal 14th October 2016 05:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've been really lucky this Halloween Poundland wise, grabbed quite a few flicks so far, including these today (yep, that really is the 5 disc set of Poltergeist Legacy series 1 for £1:woot:)

MacBlayne 14th October 2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 508283)
that really is the 5 disc set of Poltergeist Legacy series 1 for £1:woot:

I remember liking that show when it came out. I wonder how it holds up.

BAKA 15th October 2016 10:48 AM

Very nearly up to date (finally!):

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ps66s8suog.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...pshlf7quqw.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...psuqwbbg8q.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0zrzkcin.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...psbgnkvka5.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...psytmdeukx.jpg

What a load of great releases we've had recently! Psychomania and Satan's Blood (awful cover), the VS Richard Casey duo (Horror House On Highway 5 has to be seen to be believed! I hope Hellbent is equally as random.), Chopping Mall (one of my most anticipated releases of the year), Black Candles from Code Red, Arrow's gorgeous looking The Hills Have Eyes set, the three recent Stephen King releases (of course we only seemed to get It in the UK so I had to import the rest; can't wait to watch Salem's Lot again), When Marnie Was There, and two recent releases from 88 Films.

Thought it might be relevant to mention, after the discussion yesterday about Tales Of Halloween, that the Arrow release has dropped to £9.99 on Amazon (which I imagine is probably an HMV price match).

sjconstable 15th October 2016 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After much waiting for both items:

Justin101 15th October 2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 508362)
Very nearly up to date (finally!):

I'm sorry to potentially spoil your day but When Marnie Was There is faulty and has been recalled by all retailers. It's getting re-issued on 7th November.

Basically the feature skips and locks at worst, and at best will play, but not smoothly, while the laser constantly re-seeks which could damage your player.

I've just contacted Amazon today and they are asking for it back and have refunded me already.

BAKA 15th October 2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 508364)
I'm sorry to potentially spoil your day but When Marnie Was There is faulty and has been recalled by all retailers. It's getting re-issued on 7th November.

Basically the feature skips and locks at worst, and at best will play, but not smoothly, while the laser constantly re-seeks which could damage your player.

I've just contacted Amazon today and they are asking for it back and have refunded me already.

Yeah, I've been reading about it since release. I'm going to wait for the announcement from Studio Canal. I'm hoping when they get their logistics sorted it'll just be a case of a simple disc replacement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 508363)
After much waiting for both items:

I ordered What Have They Done To Your Daughters last night from Strange Vice. Where did you order yours from? I've been looking for an alternative to DTM when I just want the odd lone title.

sjconstable 15th October 2016 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 508365)
I ordered What Have They Done To Your Daughters last night from Strange Vice. Where did you order yours from? I've been looking for an alternative to DTM when I just want the odd lone title.

I use Medienversand (Index) for Camera Obscura releases.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 12:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This week's new arrivals.

Krampus has a lovely slip case, really nice texture to the touch. I was surprised to find Maggie in a holographic slip case in a charity shop for 50p.

Practical Magic was one of the first dvd's i bought. From a small shop in Manchester Arndale which sold region 1 discs for about £20 - 30 each, way back at the dawn of dvd. I watched it, liked it and sold it for a pretty penny soon after though. :skull:

Looking forward to Dickensian. Amazon were selling it for a tenner which was a decent price in comparison to everywhere else. Required viewing in the run up to Christmas i feel.

plasterface 15th October 2016 12:47 PM

purchases

inherent vice blu £1.50 from a charity shop, south park series 14 dvd £2:99 from a different charity shop. From sainsburys with some vouchers i had left , hellraiser blu boxset £20, kill list and the fog blus fiver each.

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508390)

Krampus has a lovely slip case, really nice texture to the touch. I was surprised to find Maggie in a holographic slip case in a charity shop for 50p.

Practical Magic was one of the first dvd's i bought. From a small shop in Manchester Arndale which sold region 1 discs for about £20 - 30 each, way back at the dawn of dvd. I watched it, liked it and sold it for a pretty penny soon after though. :skull:

Looking forward to Dickensian. Amazon were selling it for a tenner which was a decent price in comparison to everywhere else. Required viewing in the run up to Christmas i feel.

Ahhhhh, Undercover, starring the lovely Athena Massey, Meg Foster, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan in a small role.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 12:58 PM

Some more of my 2 for £5 order from Music Magpie.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7770/3...93bc31d1_z.jpg

I'm really looking forward to re-watching the first (and best) three seasons of Arrested Development again and reappraising Inglourious Basterds, which I haven't seen since I was underwhelmed at the cinema.

MacBlayne 15th October 2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 508396)
I'm really looking forward to re-watching the first (and best) three seasons of Arrested Development again

Another Arrested Development fan? This calls for a celebratory dance...

Frankenhooker 15th October 2016 01:04 PM

Arrested Development is aces, I even loved the fourth season.

Justin101 15th October 2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508398)
Another Arrested Development fan? This calls for a celebratory dance...

I love it too, but I'm one of those who likes to pretend that season 4 never happened... I never even made it all of the way through. Lucille Bluth is one of the best TV mums ever.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 508399)
Arrested Development is aces, I even loved the fourth season.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't a patch on the first three.

MacBlayne 15th October 2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 508400)
I love it too, but I'm one of those who likes to pretend that season 4 never happened... I never even made it all of the way through. Lucille Bluth is one of the best TV mums ever.

I really like the fourth season but I concede that it was not as good as the first three (and was probably unnecessary). It suffered a lot from an extended running time (episodes could now run for 40 minutes instead of the brisk 22 minutes it used to have). But, it's story-telling ambitions really impressed. All episodes took place at the same time but from different perspectives. This allowed the whole story to gradually unfurl.

Also, the Tobias and the Buster episodes were pure gold. As was seeing powerhouse-producer Brian Glazer trying to desperately climb into a faulty elevator.

plasterface 15th October 2016 01:12 PM

arrested develoment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 508401)
I enjoyed it, but it wasn't a patch on the first three.

i thought it was'nt as good on first watch, but watch it again its much better on a second watch.

Justin101 15th October 2016 01:18 PM

I'm going to give it a second chance I think!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 508403)
i thought it was'nt as good on first watch, but watch it again its much better on a second watch.

I'll probably do that after going through the boxset, watching all four seasons in one go.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 508395)
Ahhhhh, Undercover, starring the lovely Athena Massey, Meg Foster, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan in a small role.

It's the first time i've seen it at a bargain price. I don't trust the label - Pegasus - when it comes to transfers to pay much for them.

We need more 80's/90's erotic thrillers to be released.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 508396)
Some more of my 2 for £5 order from Music Magpie.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7770/3...93bc31d1_z.jpg

I really enjoyed Abraham Lincoln. I went into it cold expecting the worst in a way (I' Frankenstein, Dracula Untold, that kind of worst) but ended up loving it.

I'm sure you've seen Iron Man 2 previously, i thought that way better than reports had led me to believe.

BAKA 15th October 2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508390)

It didn't take The Windmill Massacre long to get a DVD release. I didn't care for Frankenstein's Army, aside from some of the awesome creature designs, but when I cycled through this year's FrightFest trailers The Windmill Massacre looked like something I might enjoy.

J Harker 15th October 2016 03:20 PM

Arrived this morning
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...fa5c786727.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508409)
I really enjoyed Abraham Lincoln. I went into it cold expecting the worst in a way (I' Frankenstein, Dracula Untold, that kind of worst) but ended up loving it.

I'm sure you've seen Iron Man 2 previously, i thought that way better than reports had led me to believe.

In terms of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, I haven't seen it in years, and previously only owned The Asylum rip-off/cash in version Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies, so it will be interesting to see the 'original' again.

Similarly, I haven't seen Iron Man 2 since I was sorely disappointed at the cinema. However, for £2.50, I wanted to fill the gap in my collection between the first and third films and see whether I was overly critical on my first viewing.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 06:19 PM

Bought EXTERMINATOR 2 last night in HMV.

NICE looking package for a bargain £8.99.

Wonder if the 'uncut' version differs any from the Japanese BD.....

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 508438)
Bought EXTERMINATOR 2 last night in HMV.

NICE looking package for a bargain £8.99.

Wonder if the 'uncut' version differs any from the Japanese BD.....

You turned the cover around to that amazing reverse art? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 508225)
There're more features on the press release from Arrow. For some reason their site is only listing the Special Features that appear on both DVD & Blu-ray. Some of the features are exclusive to the blu-ray:

Nothing about the fun facts on this review of the UK disc, or the 60 minutes of production diaries. The German disc only has 30 mins of them, as opposed to the 60 on the US 4-disc set.

http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk/revi...hallowarr.html

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 508462)
Nothing about the fun facts on this review of the UK disc, or the 60 minutes of production diaries. The German disc only has 30 mins of them, as opposed to the 60 on the US 4-disc set.

TALES OF HALLOWEEN

I notice Axelle Carolyn's film is The Halloween Kid. That's an extra on the Soulmate dvd which she directed.

Andra Jai 16th October 2016 02:54 PM

Just bought a Lenovo N22 Chromebook on amazon for £109, this is the first time I've ever used one and after giving it a good run through this afternoon I'll never buy another laptop again.

With start up taking seconds and online browsing almost instant giving up windows now seems like an easy choice for my intended usage

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th October 2016 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to be done. And please, no hating just because I have better taste than the rest of you. [emoji23]

Attachment 183624

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 508498)
Had to be done. And please, no hating just because I have better taste than the rest of you. [emoji23]

Attachment 183624

Never seen it. I would also have bought it. :pumpkin:

MacBlayne 16th October 2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 508498)

Attachment 183624