Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

plasterface 30th October 2016 03:44 PM

they live

happy birthday Dem

went to John Carpenter meet and greet/gig in manchester last night, got my they live dvd cover signed (already has Roddy's signature on it) and my halloween steelbook blu signed. Bought a pair of they live sunglasses .

Jani 30th October 2016 05:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some recent stuff.

Sam 30th October 2016 06:21 PM

I was at the Festival of Fantastic films yesterday and picked up 'Alien 2' and the Krimi double bill for £7 at the auction. I also got Jorg Buttgereit to sign the postcards from my 'Nekromantik' box sets, which are also pictured.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...8831ef5f6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th October 2016 07:21 PM

Very cool. What was Jörg Buttgereit like?

Sam 30th October 2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 509909)
Very cool. What was Jörg Buttgereit like?

I could only go for 1 day so missed his talk on the Friday but he was really friendly and amiable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th October 2016 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 509912)
I could only go for 1 day so missed his talk on the Friday but he was really friendly and amiable.

That's good to hear. I did plan on going but, once the guests were finally announced and I decided I definitely wanted to go, there wasn't enough time to make the necessary arrangements. Maybe next year.

Sam 30th October 2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 509917)
That's good to hear. I did plan on going but, once the guests were finally announced and I decided I definitely wanted to go, there wasn't enough time to make the necessary arrangements. Maybe next year.

There was a lot of talk of this being the last festival due to a number of the organisers pulling out for various reasons. To be honest, whilst I did enjoy the day, it did feel a little subdued compared to previous years (eg. 2 screening rooms instead of 3/4 in previous years, a noticeably shorter auction etc). I really hope it does continue though as it does have a nice, relaxed feel, where you can chat to the guests in the bar etc.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th October 2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 509926)
There was a lot of talk of this being the last festival due to a number of the organisers pulling out for various reasons. To be honest, whilst I did enjoy the day, it did feel a little subdued compared to previous years (eg. 2 screening rooms instead of 3/4 in previous years, a noticeably shorter auction etc). I really hope it does continue though as it does have a nice, relaxed feel, where you can chat to the guests in the bar etc.

It would be a real shame if that is the case because I have very much enjoyed the ones I have attended (three, I think) for the reasons you mention.

trebor8273 31st October 2016 11:19 AM

6 Attachment(s)
today's delivery's

Justin101 31st October 2016 11:40 AM

I've just got Dekalog arriving today, I'm trying to curb my spending coming up to Christmas.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 509948)
I've just got Dekalog arriving today, I'm trying to curb my spending coming up to Christmas.

I'm not. I just want to get back to Fopp in Manchester. :cry:

The Neon Demon turned up today. Damn you postman who refuses to deliver parcels on a Saturday.

Justin101 31st October 2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509950)
The Neon Demon turned up today. Damn you postman who refuses to deliver parcels on a Saturday.

I cancelled my Neon Demon order because it'll be 3 for £20 before the end of the year and I can wait.
Funny enough Dekalog is my first online order with the New HMV website, I was hoping for a Saturday delivery but nothing.

Demoncrat 31st October 2016 12:59 PM

Viv Albertine's book. Not typing out that title haha. Should be a hoot.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 509954)
I cancelled my Neon Demon order because it'll be 3 for £20 before the end of the year and I can wait.
Funny enough Dekalog is my first online order with the New HMV website, I was hoping for a Saturday delivery but nothing.

I was hoping to watch it on Saturday night, the last Saturday in October kind of thing. However, Christmas Eve here we come. :glitter:

Justin101 31st October 2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 509957)
Viv Albertine's book. Not typing out that title haha. Should be a hoot.

Oh you mean... Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.

Yes I've got it, I picked up a signed copy but not got around to reading it yet :lol: but only because I'd read a whole load of memoirs in a short space of time and I needed a scene change :lol:

Justin101 31st October 2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509958)
I was hoping to watch it on Saturday night, the last Saturday in October kind of thing. However, Christmas Eve here we come. :glitter:

It seems they have changed their standard post service to Royal Mail 48 and now charge a fiver for 1st class tracked. No more next day packages.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 509964)
It seems they have changed their standard post service to Royal Mail 48 and now charge a fiver for 1st class tracked. No more next day packages.

How has the site changed? Doesn't seem any different to me.

Justin101 31st October 2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509965)
How has the site changed? Doesn't seem any different to me.

They just added this to their FAQ apparently

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMV
Can I change my delivery method?

All items will ship via Second Class Royal Mail unless the option for Royal Mail Tracked 24 is selected. You can choose this option during the checkout process.

And someone on bluray.com confirmed that their packages came with a Royal Mail 48 label on them and last week they came as 1st Class.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 509966)
They just added this to their FAQ apparently

And someone on bluray.com confirmed that their packages came with a Royal Mail 48 label on them and last week they came as 1st Class.

My last parcel also took two days to arrive and that was a fortnight ago so i'm guessing they changed it then and felt the need to mention it now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509967)
My last parcel also took two days to arrive and that was a fortnight ago so i'm guessing they changed it then and felt the need to mention it now.

No matter, it's still going to be quicker than the week it takes Amazon to ship things for non-prime members.

Justin101 31st October 2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 509948)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...709bfb1637.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...0aae66e5ea.jpg

Looks lovely, I can't wait to get into these, even though it's hallowe'en I might watch one tonight!

platostotal 2nd November 2016 05:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Local Cash Solutions had a promo, 3 BD for £5, surprised to find these three so it's action overload time...

keirarts 3rd November 2016 08:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Couldn't resist putting in an order for Bring me the head.... hopefully Arrows shambolic delivery service will have bucked their ideas up. These days I only go direct for the points. Heads up as well, Neon Demon blu-ray is £8 on amazon and free delivery for prime customers.

Attachment 184086 Attachment 184087

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neon-Demon-B...rds=neon+demon

Justin101 3rd November 2016 05:28 PM

Had £40 of CEX voucher left from trading in my old phone and put it towards this, £50 in all and apart from a tiny crush it's in excellent condition!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...99fb72b270.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...20a3b04b48.jpg

plasterface 3rd November 2016 06:57 PM

fright night

more copies of the zavvi fright night steelbook are up on site on sunday

keirarts 4th November 2016 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 510237)
Had £40 of CEX voucher left from trading in my old phone and put it towards this, £50 in all and apart from a tiny crush it's in excellent condition!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...99fb72b270.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...20a3b04b48.jpg

Love this set, one of my favorite releases from Arrow.

Deadite 4th November 2016 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this for just under a tenner. Haven't seen it for years, but was always a fan.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th November 2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 510283)
Got this for just under a tenner. Haven't seen it for years, but was always a fan.

Such a great film, and one which doesn't seem to lose anything with repeated viewing.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th November 2016 12:28 PM

What Have You Bought Recently?

1 Attachment(s)
Cherry Falls from Germany. Need to slap their quality control person though, they forgot to put Romper Stomper under the "from the director of" at the top (it's on the front cover though [emoji57]), plus you have to love their simplifying the original tagline of Lose your innocence or lose your life, to Sex or die.

Attachment 184100

J Harker 4th November 2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 510298)
Cherry Falls from Germany. Need to slap their quality control person though, they forgot to put Romper Stomper under the "from the director of" at the top (it's on the front cover though [emoji57]), plus you have to love their simplifying the original tagline of Lose your innocence or lose your life, to Sex or die.

Attachment 184100

Being in German what difference does it make?? [emoji57]

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th November 2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 510300)
Being in German what difference does it make?? [emoji57]

I really wish you wouldn't comment like this eveytime I post something about a cover with foreign writing on it. You honestly make me not want to post at all.

Justin101 4th November 2016 04:15 PM

I quite fancy that Cherry Falls disc, it's an enjoyable film. Does it have English friendly special features?

J Harker 4th November 2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 510302)
I really wish you wouldn't comment like this eveytime I post something about a cover with foreign writing on it. You honestly make me not want to post at all.

You jest surely?

Deadite 4th November 2016 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Has most of the stuff i like (Love and Death being my favourite) and as it was available for a measly £8 i decided to buy it.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th November 2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 510310)
You jest surely?

lol, of course!

trebor8273 4th November 2016 06:27 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Today's delivery's

Susan Foreman 4th November 2016 06:47 PM

Various charity shops in Croydon and Purley. All blind buys apart from the first one:

The Boy In The Dress - David Walliams television adaptation - £1:00
Phantom Of Death - Shameless - £3:00
Goal Of The Dead - French zombie football film - tagline: 'The only thing worse than a hooligan...is an undead hooligan' - £1:00
The Walking Deceased - zombie spoof - £1:00
Dead Mary - £1:00
The Mist - 2 disc - £1:00
Young And Dangerous trilogy - 3 discs - Japanese gangster films - £0.99
Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark - £0.49
Brighton Rock - 2010 version - £0.49
The Inbetweeners Movie 1 & 2 - 2 disc box set - £0.99

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th November 2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 510325)
Various charity shops in Croydon and Purley. All blind buys apart from the first one:

The Mist - 2 disc - £1:00
Brighton Rock - 2010 version - £0.49

Both excellent films. When you watch The Mist, you might find it surprising how different the colour, or lack thereof, makes to the feel. I much the monochrome version, which almost seems like a film from a different era. It is similar to the 1956 and 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers films, although with identical content.

Frankenhooker 4th November 2016 07:32 PM

I also prefer the monochrome version for two reasons, the first Nos already mentioned. The second reason is that the black and white helps mask some of the dodgy CGI effects.

It's a cracking little film.

MuckyFunster 4th November 2016 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 510325)

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark - £0.49

I bought this recently too, from my local Oxfam. It was a four disc complete collection, £4.

Ended up giving it away as a birthday present to my sister in law. I'll need to get a borrow of it sometime...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk