Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th December 2009 08:06 PM

I watched TCM massacre last night :thumb::thumb:

Daemonia 12th December 2009 08:07 PM

My copy of Texas Chain Saw Massacre on Blu-ray arrived today from HMV online. Good to know it's a good disc. I'll watch it tomorrow evening - tonight I'm going to give the Close Encounters Blu-ray a spin. :thumb:

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th December 2009 08:09 PM

Which version of CE are you going to watch?

Daemonia 12th December 2009 08:35 PM

I'm not sure, I'll probably plump for the Special Edition version, as that's the version I grew up with. :)

Splatterdragon73 13th December 2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 52973)
My copy of Texas Chain Saw Massacre on Blu-ray arrived today from HMV online.

Did this release come shrinkwrapped as none of the copies in HMV's high street stores are and i'm always a bit suspicious of Blu-Ray or DVD titles that aren't fully factory sealed.:mmph:

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th December 2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 53014)
Did this release come shrinkwrapped as none of the copies in HMV's high street stores are and i'm always a bit suspicious of Blu-Ray or DVD titles that aren't fully factory sealed.:mmph:

Apparently Secondsight don't shrinkwrap their blu-rays :eek:

Daemonia 13th December 2009 12:23 PM

No, my TCM wasn't shrink-wrapped. Glad to know all their releases are like that, because I get suspicious too!

Kyle 13th December 2009 02:16 PM

i got amusement from HEAD for £3

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...nt-197x300.jpg

and i just won the CUBE trilogy for £8 from ebay

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...FCL_SS500_.jpg

Daemonia 13th December 2009 02:28 PM

Watched the Director's Cut of Close Encounters last night. All I can say is...wow! It looked utterly amazing - a faultless HD transfer. Recommended.

Kyle 13th December 2009 07:26 PM

i just won this for £2.50

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...mentia-DVD.jpg

and this for £4.46

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...69/sheitan.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th December 2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 52957)
Just got this:

Attachment 3740

Heard its pretty good.

I quite liked this loops. Fairly slow in places, but an interesting watch. :nod:

You get the OOP ABUS release mate?

I have the BU version which is just a port of that release. Pretty good pq it has too.

Pete 13th December 2009 07:30 PM

Yes, its the AB release. I got it for a decent price.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th December 2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 53072)
Yes, its the AB release. I got it for a decent price.

Nice one loops - I've seen these go for a hefty sum on occasions... :nod:

Pete 13th December 2009 07:45 PM

Yes, alot of those AB discs go for a lot of money, even though you can get the identical BU editions for less.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th December 2009 10:50 PM

Just picked this up:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

Egg-cellent! :thumb: :biggrin:

Kyle 13th December 2009 11:08 PM

how much did you pay BE? last year i managed to order one for $12 and then it got lost in the post :mad:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th December 2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 53114)
how much did you pay BE? last year i managed to order one for $12 and then it got lost in the post :mad:

That's the kicker: the 3 disc release looks like it has just gone OOP... It was about £12 on Amazon marketplace a couple of weeks ago. When I came to buy it last night: £70 quid brand new! :eek: I managed to find one for £30 on eBay though (new and sealed) The 2 disc and 1 disc versions are still very cheap; but I had to go for the collector's edition! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :dance:

Kyle 14th December 2009 07:28 AM

yeah thats the version im after, i wish i had ordered it a while back after the first time

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th December 2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 53147)
yeah thats the version im after, i wish i had ordered it a while back after the first time

Check eBay mate. The guy I bought it off had one more... couldn't see it anywhere else that cheap. :(

Kyle 14th December 2009 07:36 AM

thanx BE im going to save it to my watched until i sell these bloody cd's, this place costs me a fortune :dizzy:

BioZombie 14th December 2009 11:28 AM

Its been a while since I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre so I've been looking forward to seeing my blu-ray copy. I think I've owned 4 different incarnations of TCM over the years. A suitably terrible looking bootleg when the film was first banned, an official VHS, the special edition DVD and now this blu-ray, and its never looked better. Ok so there’s a lot of grain and its got its fair share of dust scratches (less wear that I'd have thought) but it's still pretty detailed. You can clearly see blisters on Franklins arms from his wheel chair, every blood vessel in Sally's eye is visible on the close ups. This transfer shows off the excellent lighting that really sells The Family as creepy as hell. Where this film really shines though is in the few scenes that are set at sunset, the oranges and yellows in the sky give a glow to everything and make the final iconic shot of Leatherface wielding his chainsaw (I think this is my favourite cinema image) even more exhilarating. For TCM fans with a BD player this is a must own.(I've yet to fully explore the wealth of bonus material).

I watched TCM with the original mono sound track, it has 5.1 and stereo tracks but the mono was effective enough for me.

It was also good to know the film still creeps me out, I love going back to an old film you think you know really well and being surprised by the stuff you'd forgotten.

Now please, please, please, please can someone give TCM 2 the same fantastic treatment.

:chainsaw::rockon:

I also watched Inglourious Basterds on blu-ray the other evening. It was as excellent as it was in the cinema and the transfer and sound are what you'd expect from a new release (ie top notch). Also highly recommended.

DeadAlive 14th December 2009 12:30 PM

Just ordered Timecrimes and Let The Right One In from Amazon. My last treat to myself this year/decade. :dance:

Daemonia 14th December 2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 53153)
Now please, please, please, please can someone give TCM 2 the same fantastic treatment.

:chainsaw::rockon:

I agree totally. Sadly it might be a while - TCM2 is an MGM property and they're being very slow in bringing out Blu-ray releases. For some reason they seem to dislike Blu-ray intensely. When they do release a Blu-ray it's always bare-bones, never bothering to port over the features from their DVD Special Edition counterparts. Fox are another one who are showing great reluctance in throwing their wieght behind Blu-ray.

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th December 2009 01:13 PM

I think If TCM 2 comes out on blu-ray it could be around halloween next year like MGM did with Child's Play.They've been releasing catalogue blu-rays recently as 2 disc editions with the already available dvds bundled in there with all the special features as a 2nd disc instead of putting them on the blu-ray so I would expect them to do the same with TCM 2.I only hope they would change the artwork because that SAW inspired art on the Gruesome editiion dvd is horrendous.They should use the classic Breakfast Club pose art or the one that Elite used on the laserdisc.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/9...76ae48de5b.jpg http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/764...763ed44322.jpg

Daemonia 14th December 2009 03:09 PM

Watched TCM on Blu-ray last night and it was knock-out. This is definitely the best it has ever looked on home video. Absolutely stunning. Not Hollywood stunning - that is to say, some might say what's all the fuss about. But this transfer really gives it that gritty, low-budget look that it so deserves. It certainly doesn't detract, in fact, it looks more Grindhouse than ever before. If this is what can be done with low-budget 70's exploitation fare, then more please!

bon43 14th December 2009 03:22 PM

dawn of the dead

dawn of the dead looks great for such an old movie plus you get every version of the film there is but only the theatrical is on blu ray

bon43 14th December 2009 03:30 PM

recent purchases

night of the creeps blu-ray from play.com international section
it was 13.99 and is packed with extras classic zombie movie great dialog and great zombie make up

42ndStreetFreak 14th December 2009 07:38 PM

"Dante 01" - £1. 'Poundland' find.

"Poultrygeist" is lots of disgusting fun. I picked up the 3 disc last year from 'Amazon' for £13

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th December 2009 09:18 PM

I've just ordered DIRTY HARRY BOXSET-£17.99-PLAY
and THE BOURNE TRILOGY-£17.98-AMAZON.:dance:

Rob Strange 15th December 2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 53169)
Watched TCM on Blu-ray last night and it was knock-out. This is definitely the best it has ever looked on home video. Absolutely stunning. Not Hollywood stunning - that is to say, some might say what's all the fuss about. But this transfer really gives it that gritty, low-budget look that it so deserves. It certainly doesn't detract, in fact, it looks more Grindhouse than ever before. If this is what can be done with low-budget 70's exploitation fare, then more please!

Yeah, I agree. The blu ray actually looks more down 'n dirty than the recent dvd version - the enhanced grain gives the film extra character - this is the way to watch TCM.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th December 2009 08:50 PM

Bought Orphan today on Blu-Ray.

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th December 2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 53228)
I've just ordered DIRTY HARRY BOXSET-£17.99-PLAY and THE BOURNE TRILOGY-£17.98-AMAZON.:dance:

Money well spent on both of those I'd say.The Dirty Harry films look great in hi-def.

BioZombie 16th December 2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 53169)

Agreed TCM shows that its worth taking the effort to do the best restoration of stuff thats been shot in 16mm. Evil Dead next please.

Daemonia 16th December 2009 11:07 AM

I watched the BD of Poltergeist the other night and it looked stunning. When compared with the smudgy, fuzzy DVD this looks brand new. You can really see how much better it looks when you watch the accompanying documentary which uses shots from the standard definition version of the film and you realise just how bad the DVD looked compared to the Blu-ray!

The Lost Boys arrived today (I have fond memories, which is why I have a soft spot for the film) and I'm looking forward to checking it out later. The Matrix trilogy on BD arrived yesterday, but was promptly whisked away by the missus who declared it a Xmas present. So I'll have to wait to see those!

Just waiting for Heat and Creepshow to arrive now.

I've bought more BD's this past month than I have DVDs over the last year! No wonder Mrs D is looking annoyed. Hehehehehe. ;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th December 2009 11:12 AM

Buying blu-rays (and dvds for that matter) is like opening a tube of Pringles.............once you pop,you can't stop.

Kyle 16th December 2009 02:54 PM

i just had an awesome delivery from abortion bin productions! 1st dvd was their film black ice but the best thing was the screener of the film tapeworm due to be released in march 2010, it has come with a custom made cover which looks great !

hope these pics do it justice

limited to 5
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...9/CIMG6339.jpg

vipco 16th December 2009 02:56 PM

Your right Steve.

I was outta luck today as everything I went out for bar 2 were outta stock.

The only BluRay on my list I could get was the last Resi Evil film , so I got that for £9 and the Necro Butcher dvd , but I left wanting more. Like a junkie. LOL

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th December 2009 03:20 PM

Thing of beauty BS :nod:

Kyle 16th December 2009 04:34 PM

it is i love it! hope the film is good :biggrin:

Pete 16th December 2009 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thats quality that BS. Me want one!

I just won another X-Rated Kult on ebay:

Attachment 3754