Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Gigantor 9th December 2009 12:33 PM

Nice you getting in the reviewing game BS?

Kyle 9th December 2009 12:48 PM

nah, i don't think im that good at reviewing but he said he would do me a screener as long as i let him know my thoughts on it so far, he still needs to do some final touches to it before he can release it

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 02:14 PM

I just filled a couple of gaps in my collection courtesy of the late, great Mr Naschy :rip:

7 Murders for Scotland Yard

http://www.boulevardmovies.com/image...tland-yard.jpg

Rojo Sangre

http://murderlegendre.files.wordpres...ojo-sangre.jpg

I had been meaning to pick these up for a while now.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 52384)
nah, i don't think im that good at reviewing but he said he would do me a screener as long as i let him know my thoughts on it so far, he still needs to do some final touches to it before he can release it

Sounds interesting BS - let me know if it's any good! :nod:

Pete 9th December 2009 02:19 PM

What release of Seven Murders is that BE?

Kyle 9th December 2009 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 52401)
Sounds interesting BS - let me know if it's any good! :nod:

will do mate!

i just won this for £2.50 on ebay

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 52404)
What release of Seven Murders is that BE?

It's the US Televista release mate.

Pete 9th December 2009 02:28 PM

Is it good quality?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 52411)
Is it good quality?

Haven't seen it before mate, but as far as I am aware Televista are the only company to have released this film legitimately on DVD - even though it does look suspiciously grey market to me! :biggrin:

There are some reviews scattered around on the net with some stills which look okay. I'm anticipating above a Troma but below an AWE quality - about a Redemption, methinks! :pound:

I have been waiting on getting this for a few years now - just in case anyone else brought it out (I was hoping for a BCI SE before they liquidated... :(), but aside from some of the scathing reviews it gets, I'm really looking forward to this one arriving! :nod:

vincenzo 9th December 2009 02:48 PM

Deal of the week. Just picked up all 4 Anchor Bay coffin boxes (again) for a tenner. :dance:

Pete 9th December 2009 02:49 PM

Televista are a bootleg outfit i think.

Redemption quality isn't too bad - certainly better than troma.

I might pick up a copy myself.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 52422)
Deal of the week. Just picked up all 4 Anchor Bay coffin boxes (again) for a tenner. :dance:

That's is an amazing deal Vince! :shocked: :faint:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 52424)
Televista are a bootleg outfit i think.

Redemption quality isn't too bad - certainly better than troma.

I might pick up a copy myself.

Yeah they do look a bit suspect. Xploited Cinema used to sell a few of their titles (not that they released many :tongue1:) before they packed in.

Also, I think it's one of those releases that is teetering on the cliff edge of being OOP. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them about, and they're not too cheap either. I'd suggest getting one before it's too late... :eek: :eek: :eek: !

Pete 9th December 2009 02:58 PM

Yeah, knowing what amazon sellers are like i'll prboably end up having to pay £100 for it.

Apparently Televista are releasing Joe D'Amato's Pleasure Shop on 7th Avenue (soft version).

Philleh 9th December 2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 52422)

How, and where, the fluff did you scoop that deal?! Ha :party:

vincenzo 9th December 2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 52430)
How, and where, the fluff did you scoop that deal?!

Right place, right time. :bunny:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 52429)
Yeah, knowing what amazon sellers are like i'll prboably end up having to pay £100 for it.

Apparently Televista are releasing Joe D'Amato's Pleasure Shop on 7th Avenue (soft version).

You can get it for about £12 on Amazon at the moment.

Televista are still going! :shocked: Thought they'd packed in. I know they released a series of these er... gems:

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/images/EARLYGV1W.jpg

Pete 9th December 2009 03:09 PM

Well, its Jef Films who are releasing it but apparently they are just another name for Televista.

Daemonia 9th December 2009 04:31 PM

Watched the BD of Bram Stoker's Dracula the other night and it looked and sounded amazing. A top-notch transfer of a guilty pleasure. :)

DVD Trash 9th December 2009 04:41 PM

Watched this recently as well and it looked pretty good in Blu-Ray, a film with some really good moments but also some real bad acting from Keanu, but I also thought Winona Ryder was diabolical in this as well!

vipco 9th December 2009 04:44 PM

I picked up Night of the Living Dead BR disc today in GameStop for £11.99.

Rob Strange 9th December 2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 52470)
Watched the BD of Bram Stoker's Dracula the other night and it looked and sounded amazing. A top-notch transfer of a guilty pleasure. :)

It's not a bad film at all. Maybe disappointing for a Coppola flick - but still well worth the watch - not least for Monica Bellucci. ;)

vincenzo 9th December 2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 52470)

Out of curiosity what did you think of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 10:34 PM

I enjoyed that one as well Vince.

That's good to hear about BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA Dae,it's sitting on my to watch pile and I must admit,I'm a big fan of this film.
I thought Oldman made a cunning Count and Hopkins made a great Van Helsing.Perhaps he based his perf on Cushing's previous outings....
The way he kills vamps with zest!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 52474)
I picked up Night of the Living Dead BR disc today in GameStop for £11.99.

Which label Vips?
Hopefully it was the Optimum disc,as the Network version is apparently awful!

vipco 9th December 2009 11:04 PM

Yeah mate, Optimum Home, but it aint great for extras, just a doc on George.
I picked the Hardgore release of this in Poundland and you got the B/W & Colourised prints plus extras for a quid.

Lands (fav Dead movie) next once I get HMV to order it in, but I think i'll skip Dairy.

They had the STARZ 'Dawn of the Dead' as well for £11.99 but there was no region on the cover. (I got ARROW's anyway)

Does anyone know if Last House on the Left remake is good PO,? as you get the Theatrical and Extended cut in the one set....... Im tempted.
A shop I go has it 4 for £30 BluRay's.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th December 2009 11:07 PM

LAST HOUSE remake on BR is great Vips.
A good film as well.As good as,if not better than Craven's original.
Recommended

vipco 9th December 2009 11:25 PM

Thanks mate, you've never steered me wrong so far ,so i'll pick it up when im in town on Monday.

Can anyone recommend Dead Space, movie ways.?

Daemonia 10th December 2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 52516)
Out of curiosity what did you think of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein?

I thought it was decent enough, if nothing really outstanding. The only downside is that they play up the costume melodrama side of things a bit too much. That is to say, not quite enough horror. Then again, what did we expect from Branagh, he is a Shakespearean actor, after all. ;)

Some nice set pieces though and the set design is terrific. Not sure about De Niro as the creature though, he never seemed very comfortable in the role. And even at the time, in interviews, De Niro didn't seem to quite grasp the concept of the story - it's a uniquely gothic/European story, and I think that was lost on him. Not that De Niro is stupid, but Americans have a totally different sensibility to Europeans and don't have a history and heritage like Europe does. Which does help in appreciating gothic horror IMO.

Pete 10th December 2009 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this off e-bay:

Attachment 3718

I already have the Argent and AWE discs but i wanted this one for Castellari's commentary.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th December 2009 05:24 PM

Bought The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) from HMV when I was in glasgow yesterday.Almost all the extras from the 3 disc dvd have been ported over (the poster gallery isn't there).The film looks the best it has ever looked and probably the best it ever will.It's definately not something you would use to show the superior quality of blu-ray and is pretty grainy but definately worth buying if you're a fan.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1336/tcm.jpg

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th December 2009 06:58 PM

I got that back in October from HMV Steve,I think it was an exclusive back then....
So the super-transfer doesn't detract from the 'grittiness' of the film then?

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th December 2009 07:11 PM

I take it you haven't got around to watching it then Reaper? One online review I saw said it looked like shit.They meant it in a good way though.Like I said,if you want to impress someone with the quality of blu-ray,this isn't the disc to do it with,but as a true representation of how the film is supposed to look,you can't fault it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th December 2009 07:17 PM

Nah,I ain't got round to it mate....soon....:biggrin:

pedromonkey 11th December 2009 11:35 PM

as a christmas pressie from my dear old ma, ive just ordered the ultimate fly collection from play.com for 14.99 (rrp 69.99) woohooo

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th December 2009 06:50 AM

If like me you love A CLOCKWORK ORANGE,get it!
The best it has ever looked and sounded.Superb!

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th December 2009 08:15 AM

Yeah i've got A Clockwork Orange.One of my favourite films and looks incredible on blu-ray.

Marc Morris 12th December 2009 11:15 AM

Ted Kotcheff's Wake in Fright (aka Outback, 1971). Australian Blu-ray.

Pete 12th December 2009 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this:

Attachment 3740

Heard its pretty good.

BioZombie 12th December 2009 07:24 PM

Just got an early xmas present of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (seriously ultimate edition) and Inglourious Basterds on blu-ray. Cant decide which I want to watch. :pop2::confused: