Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bdc 7th January 2011 12:30 PM

The artwork submitted (also on Amazon UK) seems to be wrong.
Mine has a PG certificate.

Pete 7th January 2011 12:37 PM

Today I bought Shogun Assassin, Dirty Harry and The Wedding Singer.

bdc 7th January 2011 12:39 PM

Nice ones (well not that certain about The Wedding Singer ;)) Pete!
I've added the PG version to the dvdaf database,they seem unsure which one is correct so there's 2 pics to choose from now.
Play also lists the "15".

http://a.dv1.us/p1/154/156154-d1.jpg?tm=1294407477.6966

Pete 7th January 2011 12:49 PM

Today I bought: Ator The Fighting Eagle (Joe D'amato - DVD), Family Guy - Season 9 (DVD), Dirty Harry (BD), Shogun Assassin (BD), The Wedding Singer (BD).

pedromonkey 7th January 2011 03:09 PM

mr postman brought me these today...

THE STREET FIGHTER
THE RETURN OF THE STREET FIGHTER
STREET FIGHTER'S LAST REVENGE
THE BURROWERS
GOLGO 13

CRIME BOSS COLLECTION

- Crime Boss
- Street Law
- Revolver
- Confessions Of A Police Captain
- Death Rage

Gojirosan 7th January 2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 120502)
Ator The Fighting Eagle (Joe D'amato - DVD)

Is that out again or did you find the old one? Want.

Sam 7th January 2011 07:29 PM

Recent purchases:

Killer Inside Me (blu ray)
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (blu ray)
Long Weekend (original)
Brain Damage
From Beyond the Grave

oaxaca 7th January 2011 11:15 PM

Ordered:

Deep Red (arrow)
The Leopard (BFI)

Off to buy Dr. Zhivago tomorrow also...

Concertina 8th January 2011 04:14 AM

Is The Thing on blu-Ray? If so I need it...I have been dying to watch it lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th January 2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concertina (Post 120633)
Is The Thing on blu-Ray? If so I need it...I have been dying to watch it lately.

It is. If you can, try and import a copy. The US blu-ray has the 80 min documentary, The Thing: Terror Takes Shape, as part of the U-Control function and plays it in small pieces In a tiny window at the top of the screen. Releases from other countries have the documentary in full.

bdc 8th January 2011 08:53 AM

Now why would you want to watch that in a tiny window?
US residents hunted down the UK releases because of that.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2011 08:54 AM

Arrived today:

http://c.dv1.us/p1/827/141827-d1.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2011 08:55 AM

Arrived today:

http://c.dv1.us/p1/827/141827-d1.jpg

bdc 8th January 2011 08:58 AM

Nice ones Oaxaca and BE! :thumb:

bdc 8th January 2011 08:59 AM

:thumb:

BioZombie 8th January 2011 09:36 AM

Got Shogun Assassin and Battle Royale Limited Edition as last Xmas gifts from my GF the other day. The BR[ collection is instantly the favourite part of my collection.

DVD Trash 8th January 2011 09:44 AM

Gone Region A - can see my Credit Card taking a pounding now! Vampire Circus and Criterions here we come!

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th January 2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVD Trash (Post 120657)
Gone Region A - can see my Credit Card taking a pounding now! Vampire Circus and Criterions here we come!

Congratulations. Let the BD hunt begin!

Gojirosan 8th January 2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVD Trash (Post 120657)

Hahaha! That is the main reason I am avoiding going region free!

:lol:

Gojirosan 8th January 2011 10:25 AM

I love it when things I forgot ordering turn up!

Mr Postman just brought this double bill of René Cardona incompetence:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...B%2BS68geL.jpg

And yesterday, from Mr Unuuk of this forum:

http://www.tomkarr.com/images/movie/...eb-Preview.jpg

:cool:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th January 2011 11:53 AM

Love that Deranged set, very cool.

Concertina, if it's any use, my review of The Thing UK Blu-ray is here.

bdc 8th January 2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 120675)
I love it when things I forgot ordering turn up!

Mr Postman just brought this double bill of René Cardona incompetence:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...B%2BS68geL.jpg

And yesterday, from Mr Unuuk of this forum:

http://www.tomkarr.com/images/movie/...eb-Preview.jpg

Very nice haul Goji! :thumb:

KPWNINJA 8th January 2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken (Post 119668)
Cool buys there Roto, I really must buy myself Children of the corn. I was meant to chase this up last year and did'nt bother, There definately on my soon to buy list. :nod:

I'm the same. I was after Children of the Corn ever since Anchor Bay released the set but just never got around to purchasing it until now. :)

Just bought myself Creepshow 2, Creepshow 3, Hard Revenge Milly: Bloody Battle and Meatball Machine! :nod:

mercury 8th January 2011 02:14 PM

Bought X-men season 1 volume 1+2 from poundstretcher. £2.99 each which is the cheapest I've seen them.

Sargento 8th January 2011 04:12 PM

Yipeee! My copy of

Video Nasties - Def Guide

Just arrived. Looks lovely! Number 2605.

I would have liked to have see some booklet in it with some kinda listing.

Will check out later chaps

Mojo 8th January 2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 120647)

I have this too, be. My Blu ray player is multiregion for standard dvds but not BD ( as yet ) so I watched the standard dvd in this set and it looks wonderful. I can imagine the BD will look incredible.

Great set of extras here, too - and lovely use of the original artwork.

Concertina 8th January 2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 120634)
It is. If you can, try and import a copy. The US blu-ray has the 80 min documentary, The Thing: Terror Takes Shape, as part of the U-Control function and plays it in small pieces In a tiny window at the top of the screen. Releases from other countries have the documentary in full.

I found it...it was cheap so I picked up that and Stargate for less than $20. I can live without the documentary as I'm sure I can find it elsewhere. I only have a PS3 to play it on and I'm sure that imported disks won't work. But I can always get it later after I watch it and remember how much it rocked.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 120755)
I have this too, be. My Blu ray player is multiregion for standard dvds but not BD ( as yet ) so I watched the standard dvd in this set and it looks wonderful. I can imagine the BD will look incredible.

Great set of extras here, too - and lovely use of the original artwork.

I watched the Blu-Ray today and the transfer is incredible - Synapse seem to have an amazing gift when it comes to making a film look as good as it can be, and I'm really looking forward to more Blu-rays from them - I will definitely be getting The Dorm That Dripped Blood, which is released in March.

As for the extras, I haven't checked them out yet, with the exception of the motion comic - out of curiosity. It is a 6 minute or so take on the story told in comic book artwork form overlapped by the film's soundtrack score - a nice touch! :nod:

the blob 9th January 2011 01:12 AM

Just bought this on ebay for just over $7 inc shipping. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Region free too apparently...

bdc 9th January 2011 08:57 AM

Nice one!

antmumford 9th January 2011 09:42 AM

I picked up some Studio Ghibli DVD's to try and get the collection nearer completion:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Cat Returns
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Kiki's Delivery Service
Howls Moving Castle
My Neighbour Totoro
Tales from Earthsea

Can't wait to get stuck into these, haven't seen any of them.
I also picked up Four Lions in that lovely "book" case for only £6 in HMV. Bargain!

BioZombie 9th January 2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford
I picked up some Studio Ghibli DVD's to try and get the collection nearer completion

My GF suggested we watch Graveyard of the Fireflies last night. It's a Studio Ghibli film about a teenage boy and his little sister in World War II Japan. Obviously a really great film, but I dont think I've ever been quite so upset by anything. It really sticks with you for a long time after watching.

antmumford 9th January 2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 120829)
My GF suggested we watch Graveyard of the Fireflies last night. It's a Studio Ghibli film about a teenage boy and his little sister in World War II Japan. Obviously a really great film, but I dont think I've ever been quite so upset by anything. It really sticks with you for a long time after watching.

Yeah I've got that one too, in fact it was the first one I bought. Loved it, and to be honest there was definitely a tear in my eye at the end :(

oaxaca 9th January 2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Good buys Ant; Ghibli films are incredible. I thought Grave of the Fireflies was a very sad film, beautifully made but quite a brutal depiction of war! Its amazing that anime has the power to stir such feelings. I think it hits home more than many other war films.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th January 2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Graveyard of the Fireflies is one of the finest animated films I have ever seen and that includes everything by Pixar, Walt Disney and Hayao Miyazaki. It is such a clever and deep film that does not oversimplify things or go for a 'happy' entering just for the sake of it, telling the story of children in war-torn Japan as it probably was. I really must dig out and watch it again soon.

I also want to buy Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind and every other Studio Ghibli film that is released on Blu-ray as I don't have all of them and would like a complete collection.

Gojirosan 9th January 2011 11:04 AM

I cannot stand anime for the most part and I especially dislike the Ghibli stuff*...but Grave Of The Fireflies is an exceptional film. So powerful.

*It's the art style. I find it repulsive and ugly. So much so that - to my shame and regret, I admit - it means I cannot connect with the stories and characters, no matter how well crafted these may be. I especially dislike the emotionless faces with big eyes and few other features *shudder*...yet I loved Marine Boy when I was very little! *sigh* This makes Grave Of The Fireflies even more exceptional in my book...

Argentofan 9th January 2011 01:40 PM

Wanted
Bad Inclination
Delirium (Bava)
Daylight
Frozen

antmumford 9th January 2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 120847)
Graveyard of the Fireflies is one of the finest animated films I have ever seen and that includes everything by Pixar, Walt Disney and Hayao Miyazaki. It is such a clever and deep film that does not oversimplify things or go for a 'happy' entering just for the sake of it, telling the story of children in war-torn Japan as it probably was. I really must dig out and watch it again soon.

I also want to buy Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind and every other Studio Ghibli film that is released on Blu-ray as I don't have all of them and would like a complete collection.

I just went to town and bought a few more of them, only 4 more to get to complete the collection:

Whisper of the Heart
Ocean Waves
Only Yesterday
Princess Mononoke

I also picked up Black books Series 1,2 and 3 for only £10.

I'd like to get all the Blu-rays too Nosferatu, They've only released a couple though so far haven't they? Ponyo and Nausicaa. Spirited Away is in the pipeline.

oaxaca 9th January 2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 120847)

Ponyo and Nausicaa are SPECTACULAR on blu ray! Crystal clear and extremely vibrant looking!

thundercrack 9th January 2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 120899)
I just went to town and bought a few more of them, only 4 more to get to complete the collection:

Whisper of the Heart
Ocean Waves
Only Yesterday
Princess Mononoke

I also picked up Black books Series 1,2 and 3 for only £10.

I'd like to get all the Blu-rays too Nosferatu, They've only released a couple though so far haven't they? Ponyo and Nausicaa. Spirited Away is in the pipeline.

You can sign up to be notified by email for Princess Mononoke Blu-ray.