Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

thundercrack 9th January 2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 120828)
I picked up some Studio Ghibli DVD's to try and get the collection nearer completion:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Cat Returns
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Kiki's Delivery Service
Howls Moving Castle
My Neighbour Totoro
Tales from Earthsea

Can't wait to get stuck into these, haven't seen any of them.
I also picked up Four Lions in that lovely "book" case for only £6 in HMV. Bargain!

Have you remembered to get the 2 disc editions of Spirited Away, Tales from Earthsea, Grave of the Fireflies,Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo but remember to watch them in Japanese with English subtitles as the dubbing is terrible.

Remember that Japanese voice-over work is much more respected where as American voiceover wok isn't.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th January 2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 120901)
Ponyo and Nausicaa are SPECTACULAR on blu ray! Crystal clear and extremely vibrant looking!

I've seen Ponyo on both DVD and Blu-ray and the difference is startling. I'll add Nausicaa to my collection once my pile of unwatched discs has gone down a bit as I have about 20 titles that are still in the shrinkwrap plus two seasons of True Blood and the entire Battlestar Galactica collection (about 80 hours worth of viewing) on BD!

pedromonkey 9th January 2011 07:49 PM

Nausicaa is cut by a considerable amount in the UK and US. The Japanese release is about 30-40 minutes longer but costs upwards of £80.

picked up Cabin Fever 2 and Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake today...

Sam 9th January 2011 09:15 PM

Picked up the following tat from Home Bargains for for 99p each:-

Hitcher 2
The Blackout (with Abel Ferrara's name spelt wrong on the cover :lol:)
Cold Sweat

Eurosleaze 9th January 2011 09:38 PM

Oh yes - and I just remembered I've ordered these from Italy. This will probably be my last-ever order from Kultvideo as I think I've essentially exhausted their collection of English-language friendly rare delights.

I bought:

Are We Men or Corporals? (R2 PAL Italian Cristaldi)

Don Quixote and Sancho Panza (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

Dorian Gray (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

Europa 51 (R2 PAL Italian Cristaldi) - SINGLE DISC VERSION: wasn't sure whether the second disc's extras were in English, and this being an Italian DVD I didn't want to risk an extra tenner for a second disc I wouldn't be able to understand

The Godson of the Godfather (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

A Man Called Apocalypse Joe (R2 PAL Italian IIF)

Neapolitan Turk (R2 PAL Italian Cristaldi)

A Noose for Django (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

Rulers of the City (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

The Teenage Prostitution Racket (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

Terror Express (R0 PAL Austrian Camera Obscura)

Violent City (R2 PAL Italian RHV)

antmumford 10th January 2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundercrack (Post 120903)
Have you remembered to get the 2 disc editions of Spirited Away, Tales from Earthsea, Grave of the Fireflies,Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo but remember to watch them in Japanese with English subtitles as the dubbing is terrible.

Remember that Japanese voice-over work is much more respected where as American voiceover wok isn't.

Oh yes! I made sure that I got all the 2-disc versions too. Had to compile a list from checking online just to make sure no others were 2-discs. :D

chapaqua 10th January 2011 10:56 AM

Just bought myself on Amazon, two absolute corkers. Enzo G.Castelleri's 1985action film, 'Lightblast'. And the 1987 survivalist action thriller from New Line Cinema, 'Quiet Cool'. (1987) Arrow Video could do worse than pick them up for UK DVD distribution. As far as I'm aware, they're not available anywhere on DVD.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 11:28 AM

I know I really shouldn't laugh, but this bit seemed amusing:
Quote:

Originally Posted by chapaqua (Post 121007)
Just bought myself on Amazon

How much did you cost?

BioZombie 10th January 2011 11:43 AM

Popped into CEX while I was in town and picked up:

Tiger on the Beat HKL DVD £3
Dirty Harry Warner Brothers £6

I used to own Tiger on the Beat, but sold it along with loads of other DVDs when I moved to a smaller place. It's one of the films I most regretted selling (along with my Street Fighter trilogy), so when I saw it in CEX for £3 I couldnt resist re-buying it.

Dirty Harry is a film I've been meaning to pick up on BD for ages as I got rid of my DVD intending to upgrade. Annoying thing is one of the multiple stickers CEX puts on their stuff was stuck on top of an old sticker and it's left a stick mark on the box, grrrrr!!!

Does anyone know if the New Retrospective Documentry The Long Shadow of Dirty Harry is BD exclusive or was it on the DVD?

thundercrack 10th January 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 121012)
I know I really shouldn't laugh, but this bit seemed amusing: How much did you cost?

£2.77 including p&p probably.

Secrets of Sex which arrived in today's post.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundercrack (Post 121014)
£2.77 including p&p probably.

Slavery just isn't like the good old days thanks to the Internet! Anyway, bet you're glad you bought yourself rather than some strange weirdo in a South American jungle village!

Gojirosan 10th January 2011 12:16 PM

At first I was annoyed to be woken up at 8.30 after playing a drunken gig last night, but it turned out to be the postman brandishing a large stack of packages:

North By Northwest Blu
Piranha 3D Blu
Herzog Kinski boxset (been meaning to get this for years!)
Michele Soavi's Arrivederci Amore Ciao

Hold my calls...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 12:27 PM

Nice selection, Gojirosan. I've been meaning to buy the North by Northwest Blu-ray for ages as I rented it a few months ago and thought the quality was absolutely astonishing.

Pete 10th January 2011 01:49 PM

Been watching a few blus and I'm glad I upgraded but I do not like the amount of grain that appears on many older films. It's distracting IMO.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 02:01 PM

Thank you Mr. Postman for delivering a cult Christmas film in January! :laugh: :doh: Yep, I've just recieved Santa Claus (not that one) which is an incredibly bad film including Santa, Satan, casual racism and creepy-as-hell creatures - or whatever they are.

Also got Shriek Show's British Horror film boxset including Frightmare, House Of Whipcord, The Flesh And Blood Show and Die Screaming Marianne. Gotta stick my hands up and admit I've never seen a Pete Walker film so I've very much looking forward to watching these.

Gojirosan 10th January 2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 121032)
Also got Shriek Show's British Horror film boxset including Frightmare, House Of Whipcord, The Flesh And Blood Show and Die Screaming Marianne. Gotta stick my hands up and admit I've never seen a Pete Walker film so I've very much looking forward to watching these.

That's a great box, except for Die Screaming Marianne which is awful. But Frightmare and Whipcord are superb and F&BS is fun, so just think of DSM as a freebie and you'll be sound*! Great transfers too. Enjoy!

*Some people find Susan George attractive for some reason so if that includes you, then DSM is worth having for the opening credits and the multitude of scenes of her changing her clothes!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 02:13 PM

Cheers Goj. I'll leave DSM till last then.

thundercrack 10th January 2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 121020)
At first I was annoyed to be woken up at 8.30 after playing a drunken gig last night, but it turned out to be the postman brandishing a large stack of packages:

North By Northwest Blu
Piranha 3D Blu
Herzog Kinski boxset (been meaning to get this for years!)
Michele Soavi's Arrivederci Amore Ciao

Hold my calls...

The Herzog/Kinski boxset has a film cut unless it's the other Herzog set which does.

Also you should get the Fitzcaraldo 2-disc seperately as it contains the Les Blank documentary Burden of Dreams as it's the only time there will be a making of included in a Herzog German film DVD.

Gojirosan 10th January 2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundercrack (Post 121036)
The Herzog/Kinski boxset has a film cut unless it's the other Herzog set which does.

It's the other Herzog set. Even Dwarfs Started Small is cut for animal cruelty.

Also, I think I'll have to get the Criterion release of Burden Of Dreams, I already have Fitzcarraldo on Laserdisc and single DVD and now another DVD in the boxset! I don't think I can buy yet another!

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 121029)
Been watching a few blus and I'm glad I upgraded but I do not like the amount of grain that appears on many older films. It's distracting IMO.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BioZombie 10th January 2011 05:00 PM

Dirty Harry

Had a look at this today as far as pic quality is concerned. IMO it looks great, has some grain and quite a bit of detail (I'm no expert though).

Where I thought it really shined was the audio. Lalo Schifrin 's music sounded really crisp and the bass really makes itself known.

Worth getting.

nekromantik 10th January 2011 06:05 PM

am tempted to get Last Exorcism!

strange how the studio let the extras be rated 18 when the film is 15.

oaxaca 10th January 2011 07:44 PM

Ordered:

Shogun Assassin Ltd edition Steelbook... Can't wait to receive this one :D

Bought:

Boys from Brazil Strange story about Josef Mengele, Nazi's and cloning Hitler but its a fun film and has a cast to die for; Sir Lawrence Olivier, Gregory Peck (delivering a demonic performance as Mengele!), James Mason, Denholm Elliot (briefly) and is set in at least four different countries.

Watched: Silver Saddle, Fistful of Dollers, For a Few Dollers More & The Good, Bad and the Ugly over the weekend. FAFDM would be my favourite of the four spaghetti westerns, but TGTB&TU has definitely got the best Morricone score. Gian Maria Volonte and Van Cleef are dynamite on screen! Loved Geoffrey Lewis as Snake in Lucio Fulci's SilverSaddle, the films score is pretty atrocious though :p

the blob 10th January 2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 121078)

Boys from Brazil Strange story about Josef Mengele, Nazi's and cloning Hitler but its a fun film and has a cast to die for; Sir Lawrence Olivier, Gregory Peck, James Mason, Denholm Elliot (briefly) and is set in at least four different countries.

What's the quality like on this one? I've always really liked the film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:00 PM

It ain't mind blowing mate,but is a marked improvement over the SDVD,and I agree-it's a great film!:nod:

Watched DEEP RED last night.Looked bloody sumptuous!:happy:

the blob 10th January 2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 121084)
It ain't mind blowing mate,but is a marked improvement over the SDVD,and I agree-it's a great film!:nod:

Added to the ever-growing list! :rolleyes:

oaxaca 10th January 2011 08:05 PM

I would say the transfer is superb for a film from 1978. Its sharp, colours are really strong and grain very minimal.

bdc 10th January 2011 08:06 PM

How's pic quality of Siver Saddle Oaxaca?

oaxaca 10th January 2011 08:17 PM

2 different versions of the film on the BD.... the main version is filtered to remove ALL the grain, which is the one I watched and personally thought was a very nice looking, although I have read posts on other forums saying using such heavy filtering/DNR is an atrocity because it removes fine detail.

Personally I thought the detail, colours, etc were fantastic and made the film look virtually brand new, although the image certainly looked a little 'digital', not sure how to describe it, kind of processed. The other version is available in the extras section and supposedly looks much more natural with grain present. I havn't seen this version yet so can't judge.

Here's a DVDBeaver style comparison:

Silver Saddle DVD & Blu-Ray screenshots | Spaghetti Western DVD Database

bdc 10th January 2011 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info!
Will be ordering this soon. ;)

Inspector Tanzi 10th January 2011 08:50 PM

What's the blu ray "alternative version"?

bdc 10th January 2011 08:52 PM

It's added as an extra on the bd.
It's the same version but with less filters applied.
So that should be the one to watch I guess... ;)

Inspector Tanzi 10th January 2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 121123)
It's added as an extra on the bd.
It's the same version but with less filters applied.
So that should be the one to watch I guess... ;)

I see, I thought it may have been a different cut of the film, wondered why I hadn't read anything about it.

kingofwitches666 10th January 2011 11:22 PM

My copy of Silver Saddle is winging it's way from Amazon.de as we speak.
Looking forward to watching it, especially that I now know Geoffrey Lewis is in it. :)

Can anyone tell me if the UK blu of North by Northwest: 50th Anniversay Edition is worth picking up? Defo need some decent Hitchcock on Blu-Ray.

Inspector Tanzi 10th January 2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 121172)
defo need some decent hitchcock on blu-ray.

Frenzy! Frenzy! Frenzy!

kingofwitches666 10th January 2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 121177)
Frenzy! Frenzy! Frenzy!

I hear you Inspector, thats my fav Hitchcock.

"lovely...lovely..."

the blob 11th January 2011 12:23 AM

Indeed!

Frenzy
Vertigo
The Birds
Rear Window
Dial M For Murder

That'd be my order of choice next probably..

North By Northwest is one of my top Hitchcock's and I still haven't bought it. I'd actually like the US digibook one for that and I'm waiting to find it for a good price..

kingofwitches666 11th January 2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 121185)
North By Northwest is one of my top Hitchcock's and I still haven't bought it. I'd actually like the US digibook one for that and I'm waiting to find it for a good price..

Hmmm... yeah the digibook does look nice, everything else about it looks identcal to the UK version. Do you know if it's region locked?

the blob 11th January 2011 12:46 AM

I'm pretty sure it's region free as it's Warner. I wish the UK versions would still include the 32-page notes as a separate booklet then I wouldn't mind!

kingofwitches666 11th January 2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 121191)
I'm pretty sure it's region free as it's Warner. I wish the UK versions would still include the 32-page notes as a separate booklet then I wouldn't mind!

Yeah I know what your saying blob, think I'll just get the UK version, you can pick it up for £8.99 from most places online.

Still regretting not picking up the Psycho - 50th Anniversary Special Edition Steelbook when it came out. :doh: