Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

monkeypedro 3rd January 2019 11:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
First post of 2019. Beware my Brethren was from Wowhd and the other four were Music Magpie cheapies.

Still waiting for several orders from Anime Limited's sale which were placed between the 6-12th December and an order from 101 Films sale so should have plenty of new stuff to watch in the coming weeks.

monkeypedro 3rd January 2019 12:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And my 101 Films order just arrived by courier.

J Harker 3rd January 2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 595325)
And my 101 Films order just arrived by courier.

Damn I didn't realise 101 had a sale on!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

monkeypedro 3rd January 2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 595330)
Damn I didn't realise 101 had a sale on!

It started Boxing Day and ends this Sunday. Some really good offers and also free postage.

https://101-films-store.myshopify.com/collections/sale

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd January 2019 10:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 595333)
It started Boxing Day and ends this Sunday. Some really good offers and also free postage.

Cheers for the heads-up.

Just ordered:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2019 10:41 PM

One or two there i'd like. Pleased the sale is on until Sunday night.

Blindfold is a definite purchase.

BAKA 4th January 2019 12:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Everything that arrived just prior to Christmas. An assortment of recent releases, Black Friday sale pick ups and promotions (2 for £15 & 2 for £10). Criterion's Zatoichi set is magnificent. I spotted The Dark in my local HMV yesterday for £1.99 (I paid £5 a few weeks ago) and it's a steal if you can find a copy in your local similarly priced. I saw it at Frightfest this year. An incredibly dark, subtle and effective experience. One of those films you have to be prepared to piece together, it doesn't spell everything out for the viewer.

All these Christmas / Boxing Day sales are killing me, so far hauls from Arrow, Network and 101 Films.

gag 4th January 2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 595386)
Everything that arrived just prior to Christmas. An assortment of recent releases, Black Friday sale pick ups and promotions (2 for £15 & 2 for £10). Criterion's Zatoichi set is magnificent. I spotted The Dark in my local HMV yesterday for £1.99 (I paid £5 a few weeks ago) and it's a steal if you can find a copy in your local similarly priced. I saw it at Frightfest this year. An incredibly dark, subtle and effective experience. One of those films you have to be prepared to piece together, it doesn't spell everything out for the viewer.

All these Christmas / Boxing Day sales are killing me, so far hauls from Arrow, Network and 101 Films.

Nice ,How much did the zatoichi boxset cost you ?

troggi 4th January 2019 06:15 PM

More "Doormat Droppings";
  • "Ghost in the Shell: The new Movie"
  • "Batman: Assault on Arkham"
  • "Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox"
  • "Fantastic Planet (La Planète Sauvage)"
  • "Tales of Terror"
You can probably work out that my "To Watch List" has just gone through the roof!

g053584398 4th January 2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 593877)
Ordered Criterion UK's 25 film Zatoichi blu-ray set from Amazon UK as it's currently mispriced at 21.93 pounds only. I hope Amazon honor that misprice and send it to me! Weirdly delivery is stated as 1-2 months but at that price, I can happily wait.

Did Amazon honour your order?

BAKA 4th January 2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 595401)
Nice ,How much did the zatoichi boxset cost you ?

I bought it before Amazon price collapsed it, believe it or not. I paid £149.99! Far from the £20+ some lucky people got it for. :crying: I've wanted it ever since it was announced for the US, budgeted for it when it was announced for a UK release, and don't think it's a bad price for 25 films. It's a gorgeous package, some people probably think it strange, but I don't regret paying what I did.

Justin101 4th January 2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 595414)
I bought it before Amazon price collapsed it, believe it or not. I paid £149.99! Far from the £20+ some lucky people got it for. :crying: I've wanted it ever since it was announced for the US, budgeted for it when it was announced for a UK release, and don't think it's a bad price for 25 films. It's a gorgeous package, some people probably think it strange, but I don't regret paying what I did.

Most people had their orders cancelled. The amount of entitlement over on Blu-Ray.com is ridiculous. People are genuinely annoyed that they never got an item which was mispriced by £125!!

I ordered one as a long shot never expecting it to be honoured. I got a free £5 voucher though for the inconvenience.

g053584398 4th January 2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 595414)

It is a great set I agree. I bought a second-hand dual-format copy from Ebay a few months ago, although I haven't got around to watching any of the films yet.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th January 2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 595415)
Most people had their orders cancelled. The amount of entitlement over on Blu-Ray.com is ridiculous. People are genuinely annoyed that they never got an item which was mispriced by £125!!

I ordered one as a long shot never expecting it to be honoured. I got a free £5 voucher though for the inconvenience.

I kept my pre-order at Zoom, so bought it for £134.99 with the 10% off discount. I had a 'what the hell?' moment and ordered one of the mispriced ones from Amazon as well, never expecting it to be honoured. It wasn't but, like you, I landed myself a £5 voucher, which is better than nothing.

Justin101 4th January 2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 595418)
I kept my pre-order at Zoom, so bought it for £134.99 with the 10% off discount. I had a 'what the hell?' moment and ordered one of the mispriced ones from Amazon as well, never expecting it to be honoured. It wasn't but, like you, I landed myself a £5 voucher, which is better than nothing.

I’m certainly considering it but I feel like I’ll never get around to watching them all! I haven’t even watched all of the Battles without Honour and that’s only 5 films, I haven’t even started watching Lone Wolf and Cub haha

g053584398 4th January 2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 595419)
I’m certainly considering it but I feel like I’ll never get around to watching them all! I haven’t even watched all of the Battles without Honour and that’s only 5 films, I haven’t even started watching Lone Wolf and Cub haha

I haven't got around to watching the Arrow set nor the US DVD set from a few years ago.

g053584398 4th January 2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 594423)
These arrived from music magpie.

How much did you pay for those, if you don't mind me asking?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th January 2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 595419)

I've watched both as well as the Stray Cat Rocks set! :lol:

monkeypedro 5th January 2019 11:54 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Today i traded some dvd's in Cex and picked up the 4K UHD of Meg and bought Angela's Ashes, True Blue, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the metal briefcase edition of Inception from charity shops.

Showdown in Little Tokyo was an Ebay purchase. Marlow, Battle of Algiers, Dirty Dozen and Casablanca were Facebook group purchases.

Finally had a delivery of some Anime i ordered nearly a month ago although still awaiting a few more titles to turn up.

SymbioticFunction 5th January 2019 01:46 PM

Pleased with how I spent my Amazon UK Zatoichi set 5 pounds compensation (I was one of the many who had their 21.93 order cancelled). Bought a copy of the rather old region free Deep Rising/Puppet Masters US blu-ray off a marketplace seller for pretty much half price.

It arrived today and was still sealed, it even had the adhesive title strip still attached to the top of the case so it's never been opened. Admittedly I only bought it for Deep Rising but my wife and I will also check out the previously unseen Donald Sutherland film.

Deep Rising takes up 20gb of disc space on this double bill Mill Creek disc. I know that a superior standalone Deep Rising was fairly recently released which allocated around 30gb for the film. But I'm still not region free so that was a no go for me.

Like I said, pleased with my purchase, was definitely worth having a punt on the Zatoichi misprice just to get a free fiver from Amazon. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th January 2019 05:11 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Arrivals from HMV. Except Arrow's Incident in a Ghostland which was £3 at Asda just prior to Christmas.

All the 88 releases (Except Hide and Go Shriek)are to replace budget discs from the likes of 23rd Century and VIPCO. I'm trusting 88's discs will have better prints. Thought this would be my last opportunity to get these at four quid each.

trebor8273 5th January 2019 09:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Took somethings into cex and got these.

bleakshaun 6th January 2019 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Delivered
Attachment 211667

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

markchro 6th January 2019 07:38 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 595333)

Thank you for the heads-up monkeypedro and great news that the sale was extended to the end of January.

I picked up:

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th January 2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markchro (Post 595512)
Thank you for the heads-up monkeypedro and great news that the sale was extended to the end of January.

I picked up:

In all these years i've never actually seen Alien Nation. Is it any good or is it new to you too, mark?

markchro 6th January 2019 07:47 PM

Demdike! Yeah, I still haven't seen Alien Nation and I look forward to ticking that off my ever expanding list of films that I want to see! :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th January 2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 595513)
In all these years i've never actually seen Alien Nation. Is it any good or is it new to you too, mark?

Alien Nation was one me and my brother begged my dad to record off the TV onto VHS for us one Christmas when we were kids. He obliged, and of course we never watched it... and I still haven't to this day.

Anything with Terence Stamp and to a lesser extent James Caan in it is worth a look in my book though. I must endeavour to check it out at some point.

Demoncrat 6th January 2019 09:03 PM

AN is a reasonable scifi thriller/metaphor for racism folks!! Enjoy!!!

This Miike film is also quite bloody bonkers btw. Ah ... it's quite refreshing tbh :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th January 2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 595520)
Alien Nation was one me and my brother begged my dad to record off the TV onto VHS for us one Christmas when we were kids. He obliged, and of course we never watched it... and I still haven't to this day.

Anything with Terence Stamp and to a lesser extent James Caan in it is worth a look in my book though. I must endeavour to check it out at some point.

Not worth a fiver blind buy for 101's blu for you then?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th January 2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 595536)
Not worth a fiver blind buy for 101's blu for you then?

Potentially - especially now the sale has been extended to the end of the month. I've never ordered from them before, so as long as my first order arrives okay I think I may go back in for a second bite of the cherry. :nod:

iank 7th January 2019 07:28 AM

Arrived:

https://d3fa68hw0m2vcc.cloudfront.ne...194810672.jpeg

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th January 2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 595540)
Potentially - especially now the sale has been extended to the end of the month. I've never ordered from them before, so as long as my first order arrives okay I think I may go back in for a second bite of the cherry. :nod:

Is that a hint for Cherry Falls? :D

I placed an order last night* so we'll see how quickly it arrives.

*Didn't bother with Alien Nation. :lol:

J Harker 7th January 2019 03:16 PM

I've ordered from 101 a few times. Never had any problems. Quite quick too.

Demoncrat 7th January 2019 05:19 PM

1st 4 series of The Professionals!! £4!

Those R1s btw ....

Anchor Bay Dracula: Prince Of Darkness
Rollercoaster
The Amityville Horror
Clockwise
Macbeth (Polanski)
In The Mouth Of Madness
American Madness
The Last Seduction
For Your Eyes Only
Premature Burial/ Masque Of The Red Death MGM
Leo
TBWP

and a French mediabook of The Bridge Over The River Kwai

£6!!

Justin101 7th January 2019 06:49 PM

I ordered The Case of the Scorpions Tail (never seen it before) and the Sergio Martino book from Arrow in the sale, the guys in the warehouse were very kind to accidentally throw in Billy Wilder's The Appartment gratis :lol:

It's not the first time I've got something I didn't order from Arrow, they must like me there :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th January 2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 595543)
Is that a hint for Cherry Falls? :D

I placed an order last night* so we'll see how quickly it arrives.

*Didn't bother with Alien Nation. :lol:

I'm actually tempted to pick that one up.

It's one I haven't seen since my teens that I wouldn't mind checking out again.

monkeypedro 7th January 2019 07:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today's deliveries include the Arrow limited edition of The Apartment which i bought for £15 new from the Facebook groups and The Ken Loach box set from Ebay which ordered just before Christmas.

A couple more anime titles from my Anime Limited order but now still awaiting a mystery box.

gag 7th January 2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 595567)
Today's deliveries include the Arrow limited edition of The Apartment which i bought for £15 new from the Facebook groups and The Ken Loach box set from Ebay which ordered just before Christmas.

A couple more anime titles from my Anime Limited order but now still awaiting a mystery box.

I like Ken roach films they tend to be down to earth and realistic.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th January 2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 595573)
I like Ken roach films they tend to be down to earth and realistic.

Unfortunate typo!

trebor8273 7th January 2019 10:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got these from cex.