Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

g053584398 13th January 2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 595884)
Today's buy

Where did you buy those? Great prices from what I can see!

gag 13th January 2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 595900)
Where did you buy those? Great prices from what I can see!

Cex in Blackburn .

I'm in cex at Blackpool often with only living round corner , and Blackburn I'm in there often due to going once a week to visit my mum in Darwen (next town )

gag 13th January 2019 06:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just bought some film cell, Spartacus and Life of Brian for 99p each and 99p pp

Justin101 13th January 2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markchro (Post 595878)
Arrived today! Now I just need to get rid of this stinking cold to enjoy it!

And the promo card included was great to see! I want that!!! :)

Cheers,

Mark

That looks amazing! Ugh I want to buy it, but I can't really be splashing out on a special edition of a film I bought on release day (last time) and still haven't watched the disc, I only saw the film once at the cinema :lol: I did really like it though.

SymbioticFunction 14th January 2019 03:59 AM

Ordered a Monster Dog blu-ray from Spanish Amazon, I've got my fingers crossed that it's a pressed disc and not a BDR. Yep, I know that it's a poor film but it's still good fun to watch if you like Alice Cooper. Having him play the lead role makes a massive difference to the flick. :) Won't watch it for a while as it's my birthday present.

monkeypedro 14th January 2019 09:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Deliveries from Saturday and today include Queen of Spades and The Guardian from the Facebook groups. Pacific Banana was from Music Magpie and Jungle Holocaust from Diabolik and delivered in less than 5 days.

All the Presidents Men, Munich and The Children's Hour were from Fopp.

Justin101 14th January 2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 595917)
Deliveries from Saturday and today include Queen of Spades and The Guardian from the Facebook groups. Pacific Banana was from Music Magpie and Jungle Holocaust from Diabolik and delivered in less than 5 days.

All the Presidents Men, Munich and The Children's Hour were from Fopp.

Have you seen Ouran High School Host Club before? I really struggled with that one, I think I was expecting it to be a bit more BL and a bit less Harem and I wasn't taken by any of the characters either :lol:

monkeypedro 14th January 2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 595919)
Have you seen Ouran High School Host Club before? I really struggled with that one, I think I was expecting it to be a bit more BL and a bit less Harem and I wasn't taken by any of the characters either :lol:

I haven't seen it before. It was part of one of the Anime Limited mystery boxes and if i don't like it i can trade it for £28 at Cex which is good considering it cost me £8.

Justin101 14th January 2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 595920)
I haven't seen it before. It was part of one of the Anime Limited mystery boxes and if i don't like it i can trade it for £28 at Cex which is good considering it cost me £8.

It's got a really good score on Myanimelist so it might have just been me being in a funny mood at the time :lol:

monkeypedro 14th January 2019 12:11 PM

Going to be a while before i watch it as on a movie watching spree at t he moment (41 movies so far this year) and the only anime i have completely watched this year is Prison School which i thoroughly enjoyed as watched in two sittings and have just started watching Testament of Sister Devil.

platostotal 14th January 2019 05:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
a bit of a post Xmas splurge in HMV, and one of the Poundland shops closed down so got a 90% discount on the J Edgar DVD so just 10p

The Alan Parsons CD was in HMV for £5.99 so replaced my damaged one

Justin101 14th January 2019 05:36 PM

I 'accidentally' bought myself the William Castle part 2 box set 4 days before payday :lol: (thanks credit card) for context, I went in to HMV about 3 weeks ago specifically to buy this and they didn't have it, and I went in today for a browse and it was there on the shelf so I grabbed it before it was too late :D

https://i.ibb.co/JtJ6ZC1/IMG-0793.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 595950)
I 'accidentally' bought myself the William Castle part 2 box set 4 days before payday :lol: (thanks credit card) for context, I went in to HMV about 3 weeks ago specifically to buy this and they didn't have it, and I went in today for a browse and it was there on the shelf so I grabbed it before it was too late :D

I presumed when something went out of stock, especially online that that would be it. Clearly it isn't the case.

However i asked them for an email update when they got The Dark Element album in and was surprised to get said email on Friday that it had come into stock after several weeks being unavailable so i immediately ordered it.

monkeypedro 14th January 2019 06:07 PM

Had a conversation with the staff in Fopp on Saturday and he confirmed the news passed onto them the day before that Hmv will continue to receive stock from the main suppliers.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 595954)
Had a conversation with the staff in Fopp on Saturday and he confirmed the news passed onto them the day before that Hmv will continue to receive stock from the main suppliers.

That's good to hear.

Justin101 14th January 2019 06:38 PM

The horror and world cinema sections in Liverpool were all fully stocked up, I was half expecting to see a ghost town but was pleasantly surprised.

gag 14th January 2019 06:47 PM

I come across this OK if a book reader and into films ,

A book mark used from one film cell

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Film-Cell...edirect=mobile

Justin101 14th January 2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 595957)
I come across this OK if a book reader and into films ,

A book mark used from one film cell

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Film-Cell...edirect=mobile

I have some Studio Ghibli ones I picked up in Japan, but they are done better than that one.

gag 14th January 2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 595962)
I have some Studio Ghibli ones I picked up in Japan, but they are done better than that one.

A good idea tho , ive bought Sam Taken one when receive it I'll take a pic and see how good it really is .

trebor8273 14th January 2019 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived from musicMagpie.

monkeypedro 15th January 2019 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today's post courtesy of Music Magpie. The Transformers box set was only £6 and M.A.S.K. was only £3

gag 16th January 2019 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some film cells , say cells not like a strip of 5 there about 20 separate pieces all different .
hellraiser
Soldier blue
Scanners

Cost me around £8 for them all inc pp

Classic TV series chocky, & chocky challenge just waiting on the other chocky all cost about £4 each .

bleakshaun 16th January 2019 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought these in Cex
Attachment 211923

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

J Harker 16th January 2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 596025)
Bought these in Cex
Attachment 211923

Streets of Fire! Got one of my all time favourites there bs.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

bleakshaun 16th January 2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 596027)
Streets of Fire! Got one of my all time favourites there bs.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think I saw it years ago, but I ain't sure

Nordicdusk 16th January 2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 595981)
Today's post courtesy of Music Magpie. The Transformers box set was only £6 and M.A.S.K. was only £3

Is that Mask set the complete series I'm using my phone can't see it properly.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th January 2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 596033)

It says "The Series Volume 1&2".

monkeypedro 16th January 2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 596033)

Yes it has 75 episodes in total and is the complete series. The first season has 65 episodes and the second season has 10 episodes.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th January 2019 03:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few things I bought from the 101 Films sale and (yesterday) from HMV. It's an interesting mix of exploitation, cult, trash, recent mainstream blockbusters and classic Swedish cinema, with the limited edition Bergman collection with 31 films 'only' costing £59.99. There are many that boxset I haven't seen, and You Were Never Really Here was a blind buy because of many positive reviews.

J Harker 16th January 2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 595842)
Six from the 101 sale, three from the Network sale and a British sci-fi film (Journey to the Far Side of the Sun) from Music Magpie.

Are you familiar with any of the films in those 101 western sets Dem?

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th January 2019 04:08 PM

Red Sparrow is cut for a 15 certificate in case you didn't know, Nos.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th January 2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 596053)

Yes. I already have two of them - Whispering Smith and The Spikes Gang. The Spikes Gang is really good. I don't actually remember Whispering Smith but i have it on a region one set.

I wanted the sets mainly for The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid on the first set and The Way West on set three. The other films were bonuses, i bought set two to complete the set.

I watched Man in the Shadow on Friday night and that was pretty good.

iank 17th January 2019 12:58 AM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...575_medium.jpg

gag 17th January 2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 596054)
Red Sparrow is cut for a 15 certificate in case you didn't know, Nos.

The amount of time and money it must cost just to cut a few seconds and in some cases in some films a second or two , a second it hardly noticeable and at times the scene they've cut out isn't really anything worth bothering about , eg might just be a pool of blood .
Yes I'm aware that's how censorship works but at times is it really worth the bother for so little , I can understand if it was a rape scene to a child but not something like a drop of blood or something similar .

g053584398 17th January 2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 596052)
A few things I bought from the 101 Films sale and (yesterday) from HMV. It's an interesting mix of exploitation, cult, trash, recent mainstream blockbusters and classic Swedish cinema, with the limited edition Bergman collection with 31 films 'only' costing £59.99. There are many that boxset I haven't seen, and You Were Never Really Here was a blind buy because of many positive reviews.

Be aware that Truck Turner looks like crap in comparison with the Kino Blu-ray, but it does appear to feature the original score at least.

g053584398 17th January 2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 596053)

I have all three box sets and you get a mixture of academy ratio, widescreen anamorphic and widescreen non-anamorphic transfers. For the money in the sale though they are solid buys.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th January 2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 596124)
The amount of time and money it must cost just to cut a few seconds and in some cases in some films a second or two , a second it hardly noticeable and at times the scene they've cut out isn't really anything worth bothering about , eg might just be a pool of blood .
Yes I'm aware that's how censorship works but at times is it really worth the bother for so little , I can understand if it was a rape scene to a child but not something like a drop of blood or something similar .

12 seconds were cut, gag, not just a drop of blood.

Justin101 17th January 2019 11:58 AM

I still don't count this is a censorship as an uncut 18 is offered but the studio decides that more money would be made by targeting middle teens. It's elective editing. Sometimes done in a way that looks silly (Avengers Assemble) and other times you can't even notice the difference.

However, I'm sure that the couple of thousand pounds it costs the distributor to submit 'for advice' then make the edits and submit for certification, are a drop in the ocean compared to the box office receipts!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th January 2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 596129)
I still don't count this is a censorship as an uncut 18 is offered but the studio decides that more money would be made by targeting middle teens. It's elective editing. Sometimes done in a way that looks silly (Avengers Assemble) and other times you can't even notice the difference.

However, I'm sure that the couple of thousand pounds it costs the distributor to submit 'for advice' then make the edits and submit for certification, are a drop in the ocean compared to the box office receipts!

I never said it was censorship, only gag said that. It's all about getting as many people as possible to see the film and an 18 certificate in theory narrows that audience down somewhat.

I read the book last year and the scene in question is a lot more harrowing in print than it is on either 15 or 'R' rated version.

Justin101 17th January 2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 596130)
I never said it was censorship, only gag said that. It's all about getting as many people as possible to see the film and an 18 certificate in theory narrows that audience down somewhat.

I read the book last year and the scene in question is a lot more harrowing in print than it is on either 15 or 'R' rated version.

Sorry I know, I wasn't responding to you directly, I've only just seen the conversation and weighing in :lol: It's just what American distributors have been doing it for years with the whole 'cinemas won't take an NC-17 film' thing because it seriously reduces their income. I'm surprised it's taken so long for the UK to get involved with it.

:whip: