Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

platostotal 14th December 2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 382971)
I can honestly say i've never seen a Basket Case film.

Are they of their time and popular due to people loving them when they first came out or are they still relevant horror films in 2013?

Yes, of their time but the first is still good fun today and the others are good enough as sequels but kinda over rated, so the first should have a place on the shelf I would argue.

Jinx_Barkman 14th December 2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 382971)
I can honestly say i've never seen a Basket Case film.

Are they of their time and popular due to people loving them when they first came out or are they still relevant horror films in 2013?

I'm a big fan of the first, I love the atmosphere that NYC provided back then. If you like lower rent, sort of sleazy, sometimes funny horror films then I would recommend giving it a look. The sequels are entertaining but certainly a step down from the original.

monkeypedro 14th December 2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 383003)
Emailed zavvi yesterday about tenebrea steel book and got reply saying that they haven't got it in stock yet, is anyone's been shipped or is it a case that they haven't received stock fom arrow yet?

On the Zavvi website the release date is now listed as 23rd December so it has been delayed by a week.

SShaw 14th December 2013 06:28 AM

Odd Thomas which I saw at Fantasy Film Fest in August and New World (US Blu) which I haven't seen before.

Mother of Tears (blu) seems to have been pushed back by a couple of months - I am not sure whether that is a good thin or not, but as a completist I have to have it.

keirarts 14th December 2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 382991)
I love Golgo 13, wonderful pulp action from Osamu Dezaki, I highly recommend importing the Space Adventure Cobra movie by him. His work is often overlooked. :)

I have the UK edition of Space adventure cobra, It is indeed excellent. The real trick is getting the original series which is out in France but I have no idea if the discs are English friendly. They also did a new(er) series of cobra a while back. I watched fansubbed versions but I have no idea if there is a legit release of them either.

bdc 14th December 2013 09:28 AM

Is the US dvd of the film better than the UK dvd?
Like uncut/cut?

The French discs of the original series only seem to carry Japanese/French language options.
The new series was also released in France,even on blu.
Again no English options.

keirarts 14th December 2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 383043)
Is the US dvd of the film better than the UK dvd?
Like uncut/cut?

The French discs of the original series only seem to carry Japanese/French language options.
The new series was also released in France,even on blu.
Again no English options.

It's uncut but I think the exact same print as the US disc. Just checked and had no idea how horribly expensive the uk release has become. It was only a couple of quid when I bought it. The french release is understandable as there is a lot of french cinema influence in the Cobra series but a UK release would be appreciated. Cobra is a fantastic character and the film is astonishing.

SCM 14th December 2013 10:12 AM

Picked up Django Unchained for £5 at Asda after work.

Demoncrat 14th December 2013 10:14 AM

Last of the xmas presents wrapped today.

Phew! :woot:

Susan Foreman 14th December 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 382968)
Bought these two today:

The 'Basket Case' triple set is £15:00 in the Tamworth CEX!