Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

BAKA 30th June 2014 03:41 PM

Just splurged at the B&N Criterion 50% off sale.

Yojimbo & Sanjuro: Two Films by Akira Kurosawa
Shock Corridor
Beauty and the Beast
The Phantom Carriage
Bigger Than Life
Orpheus

I think I made some good choices, if I say so myself. I'm slightly concerned at the MoC tease for this week though, the plastic can't take much more this week. Annoyingly Zavvi, who I try to avoid sent me a 15% discount code, which turns those exclusive Arrow Steels to £12.50 each, but I'm still trying to resist.

dynel 30th June 2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 408981)

Shock Corridor
Beauty and the Beast
The Phantom Carriage
Bigger Than Life
Orpheus

I think I made some good choices, if I say so myself. I'm slightly concerned at the MoC tease for this week though, the plastic can't take much more this week. Annoyingly Zavvi, who I try to avoid sent me a 15% discount code, which turns those exclusive Arrow Steels to £12.50 each, but I'm still trying to resist.

Awesome selection! What are your experiences with B&N concerning shipping? Do they usually pass the customs test?

sjconstable 30th June 2014 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HMV had a copy of Re-animator at last, it was saved for either a customer or a member of staff but they gave me it anyway, teehee!

I bought Spirits of the Dead just for Toby Dammit, the Arrow store clearly pictures the slipcase version though so a bit disappointed they've sent me the clear case edition.

sjconstable 30th June 2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 408981)

Shock Corridor
Beauty and the Beast
The Phantom Carriage
Bigger Than Life
Orpheus

Did you order them all separately? I was starting to order earlier but they end up over 17 quid each so it's hardly even worth it, I usually use coupon codes whenever I can find them but no luck so far, anyone know of any?

BAKA 30th June 2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynel (Post 408983)
Awesome selection! What are your experiences with B&N concerning shipping? Do they usually pass the customs test?

Everything I have ordered has gone undetected by customs so far *touch wood*, but they do declare the full value and correctly label the contents, so you could well be stung. But at these prices even being hit by customs it's still a bargain, as far as I'm concerned.

I am wondering though if anyone has tried ticking the gift option when ordering to see if B&N label the package as a gift instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 408986)
Did you order them all separately? I was starting to order earlier but they end up over 17 quid each so it's hardly even worth it, I usually use coupon codes whenever I can find them but no luck so far, anyone know of any?

No I ordered them all together. Worked out around £12.15 per title (counting the Kurosawa set as 2 releases) if I don't get stung, or £15.70 if I get stung. Which is pretty decent, as far as I'm concerned. Last time most of my packages were shipped first into Germany and then shipped into the UK, so I was lucky not to get stung, so I'm hoping the same will happen, but as far as I can tell it's completely random. Several people seemed to get hit last year on the Blu-ray.com forums from the UK.

dynel 30th June 2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 408987)
Everything I have ordered has gone undetected by customs so far *touch wood*, but they do declare the full value and correctly label the contents, so you could well be stung. But at these prices even being hit by customs it's still a bargain, as far as I'm concerned.

I am wondering though if anyone has tried ticking the gift option when ordering to see if B&N label the package as a gift instead.

I wish you all the luck then! Sadly I can't participate in the sale since I bought 2 Crit titles from BIOH

Fear and loathing in Las vegas
Videodrome

sjconstable 30th June 2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 408987)
No I ordered them all together. Worked out around £12.15 per title (counting the Kurosawa set as 2 releases) if I don't get stung, or £15.70 if I get stung. Which is pretty decent, as far as I'm concerned. Last time most of my packages were shipped first into Germany and then shipped into the UK, so I was lucky not to get stung, so I'm hoping the same will happen, but as far as I can tell it's completely random. Several people seemed to get hit last year on the Blu-ray.com forums from the UK.

How do you work out how much it'd be for each item if you got stung? I hadn't really thought about it being cheaper even with customs charges, I will have to consider that.

J Harker 30th June 2014 04:34 PM

Is anyone else finding that at least half the pics posted on this new version of tapatalk aren't actually showing?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th June 2014 04:38 PM

From eBay, I ordered the Criterion Collection BDs of Wild Strawberries, Safety Last! and Seconds. With postage, they cost about $24.50 which, according to Google, is £14.32.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th June 2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 408991)
From eBay, I ordered the Criterion Collection BDs of Wild Strawberries, Safety Last! and Seconds. With postage, they cost about $24.50 which, according to Google, is £14.32.

From BIOH I trust? They have many Criterion Blus for under £12 (ex. shipping).