Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nemesis 15th October 2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Just popped in the new The Innocents blu and have terrible pixellation issues starting in the menu (pieces of film) and also in the film itself.
First time I'm experiencing this and all other BFI blus seem to play fine...
I may have a faulty disc...
bdc, I'm truly sorry to hear about this as my copy works perfectly and this is a truly fabulous release by the BFI - its an absolute tragedy that one of the best blu releases of the year could be overlooked by either a bad batch or some other technical issue.

I notice you've been working your way through Flipside - Have you seen Man of Violence yet?

bdc 15th October 2010 11:13 AM

The Innocents has terrible pixellation problems on some LG/Philips/Sony and JVC players.
I'm hoping a new firmware for my JVC will fix this but the BFI keep silent about anything that's been done.
They are aware of the problem though.
Amazon UK stopped selling it for a while (item under review) but it's available again now.

Yes,been picking up quiet a few of those BFI blu-rays,I like the titles and the discs are very nice.
Last one I picked up was Mulberry Bush (no problems,very nice release).

I haven't seen Man Of Violence yet,maybe if the price drops a bit. ;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th October 2010 11:17 AM

Postman delivered my Dutch dvd of John Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness this morning. Being from Universal and having been released by them in other countries, I expected the same disc to be used, but nooooooooooooo, they had to have their own release complete with unremovable Dutch subtitles. :mmph:

Pete 15th October 2010 11:18 AM

Should have got the UK disc from Momentum.

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th October 2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 108232)
Should have got the UK disc from Momentum.

True, if only it had a better cover and not a big picture of Alice Cooper on it.

I just sent away for a copy on ebay of the version from the Optimum JC collection that someone is selling individually. I'll just pop the disc in the cover along with the Dutch one and hey presto, a copy of the film with JC commentary and a subtilte free version. Sorted!

Pete 15th October 2010 11:25 AM

Has it been confirmed that the optimum version contain's the commentary? Because I remember reading a review of the box in DVD Monthly (or Review, forget which) that said it had been dropped.

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th October 2010 11:28 AM

No commentary on the Optimum disc but I'm still fairly happy as the Dutch dvd has it :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2010 11:45 AM

It's been a while since I reviewed the Optimum collection but, if memory serves me right, I seem to remember that most of them were pretty barebones discs.

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th October 2010 02:48 PM

Hunt To Kill starring Steve Austin (how he decided on the name Stone Cold over the obvious Six Million Dollar Man/ The Bionic Man or even The Colonel is beyond me! :D)

Pete 16th October 2010 12:55 AM

Just bought 2 dvds of e-bay:

A Candle for the Devil £3.50 - I forgot all about this until Mr Make Them Die Slowly mentioned it the other day.
Pancho Villa £1.99 (Spaghetti Western)