Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

42ndStreetFreak 3rd November 2009 06:22 PM

Enjoy "Bad Lt"! :angel:

Kyle 3rd November 2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 46616)
I really enjoyed 13 Game of Death mate - even if I am still a little undecided about that ending... :decision: !

yeah i know what you mean, rest of the film was great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 46617)

i hope so, ill try to wat5ch it this week:woot:

LineSix 3rd November 2009 08:28 PM

Yeah, Bad Lt. is great, make sure you let us know what you thought of it after you watch it.

bdc 3rd November 2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 46608)
TBH, it's mainly the gialli releases I would be interested in, which I'm guessing, would be Italian language with French subs, or both Italian and French language... :ohwell:

I have all the Neo giallo discs and only one has an English track,My Dear Killer.
Unfortunately it has forced French subs.
Normally I don't mind the subs if it's an Italian track (my Italian is not bad but not perfect so they are handy since my French is very good) but I can't stand French subs with an English track... ;)

EDIT Short Night Of The Glass Dolls also has an English track (may have forced subs/haven't watched that one yet).

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th November 2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 46617)

You've never seen Keitel like this before BS.:shocked:
Make sure your jaw is firmly propped up mate....:laugh:

Daemonia 4th November 2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 46098)
Halloween and The Thing both look fantastic and they can be got a a pretty decent price plus Army Of Darkness is amazing too.

I just picked up the Halloween Blu-ray from HMV online - and it was a snip at £6.99.

kevxxx1 4th November 2009 08:43 AM

I was thinking of picking up Halloween until I read the review on highdefdigest which states the picture has serious problems - http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/966/halloween1978.html

This is a review of the US release, I assume the UK release uses the same master.

Can anyone verify this?

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th November 2009 12:09 PM

The French Connection debacle could have been easily avoided if Fox had slipped in another disc with the original unaltered version.Oh yeah,apparently the Exorcist is going through the same process for it's blu-ray release but I have heard that the original version will be included.

Daemonia 4th November 2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevxxx1 (Post 46722)
I was thinking of picking up Halloween until I read the review on highdefdigest which states the picture has serious problems - http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/966/halloween1978.html

This is a review of the US release, I assume the UK release uses the same master.

Can anyone verify this?

Yes, I was aware of these issues. However, if I took the time to analyze every review of every DVD/Blu-ray that I wanted to pick up, there'll always be, somewhere, a negative review and I'd end up not buying anything. I'd rather judge for myself. If I dislike the Blu-ray transfer, I still have the ABUK DVD to fall back on. There's been instances where there's been damning reviews of DVDs which I subsequently bought and thought they were fantastic.

For instance, this review of the Halloween Blu-ray states that it's the best the film has ever looked. So who do you believe?

I've also never read about Carpenter 'disowning' the Blu-ray transfer, is there a link for this?

Daemonia 4th November 2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 46742)
The French Connection debacle could have been easily avoided if Fox had slipped in another disc with the original unaltered version.Oh yeah,apparently the Exorcist is going through the same process for it's blu-ray release but I have heard that the original version will be included.

Ha! That's like Da Vinci going back to the Cistene Chapel 20 years later and asking if he can repaint and recolour the entire thing. Leave it the **** alone, Friedkin. I'm horrified that he's tinkering with The Exorcist again, the Version I Never Want To Ever See Again was bad enough! The original, as originally released, is one of my all time favourite films - even the 25th Anniversary edition had some minor retouching (yes, I did notice, Willy Boy - I noticed the dissolve from priest to demon had been 'altered' when Karras is possessed at the climax).

Friedkin should be ordered by law to keep away from his old films. And that goes for Lucas too! Although, when you dig a bit deeper with Lucas, you'll learn the real reason why he altered Star Wars. ;)