Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd February 2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 318569)
A few steelbooks arrived this week.

I was going to get the Bogart steelbooks too, but other stuff had to be bought, so the pre-orders for those ones had to go.

SShaw 2nd February 2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 318549)
Isn't the Stakeland two disc dvd good enough? :lol:

I liked Stakeland but hated Mulberry Street. Just for the record. :lol:

Interesting, I loved Mulberry Street and hated Stakeland.

I found Stakeland to be completely derivative, cliched and without an original idea to call its own. I was at the world premiere and I recall in the introduction the director told us he was only drawn to the material because it had something new to say about the genre - my conclusion is that he was either talking out of his arse or hasn't seen a genre film from the past 30 years. The directors comments may have helped form my extreme aversion to the film.

SharonLynette 2nd February 2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 318570)
I was going to get the Bogart steelbooks too, but other stuff had to be bought, so the pre-orders for those ones had to go.

I was trying to save money but in the end I buckled when I could get them for £10.62. Knowing my luck they will go below a tenner within a month.

djvaso 2nd February 2013 10:09 PM

Amazon.ca (€31,68):
http://imageshack.us/a/img228/2979/p1010325red.th.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd February 2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 318574)
I was trying to save money but in the end I buckled when I could get them for £10.62. Knowing my luck they will go below a tenner within a month.

Are the Bogey steelbooks limited editions?

I can't play BD's yet but i may have to buy the Casablanca one if its limited.

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd February 2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 318588)
Are the Bogey steelbooks limited editions?

I can't play BD's yet but i may have to buy the Casablanca one if its limited.

They're available everywhere. They might be limited, but not exclusive to any retailer.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd February 2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 318590)
They're available everywhere. They might be limited, but not exclusive to any retailer.

Thanks Stephen. :)

Where are they on sale at £10.62 i wonder?

fuzzymctiger 2nd February 2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 318478)
If anyone has seen Martin, Macabre or Surf Nazis Must Die, can you please tell me if they are good or not.

Martin is fantastic.

Surf Nazis is a quality slice of cheese :cool:

Buboven 2nd February 2013 10:51 PM

I was gonna grab Class of Nuke Em High at HMV today but they said the last copy had been bought last Monday. :mmph:

SharonLynette 2nd February 2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 318592)
Thanks Stephen. :)

Where are they on sale at £10.62 i wonder?

It was WOW HD UK but they had a 15% off at the time, I think zavvi has them fairly cheap.

trebor8273 3rd February 2013 08:14 AM

Was going to buy Star Trek the next generation blu ray from amazon until I saw the price

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Ge...d_ys_qtk_fr_23

£77.20 what hell is going on at amazon with this and the stupid prices of the new arrow releases!! For anyone interested in season three its £52 at sainburys

Justin101 3rd February 2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 318614)
Was going to buy Star Trek the next generation blu ray from amazon until I saw the price

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Ge...d_ys_qtk_fr_23

£77.20 what hell is going on at amazon with this and the stupid prices of the new arrow releases!! For anyone interested in season three its £52 at sainburys

Amazon will always price-match so an early pre-order is always key as you only pay the lowest price it goes to, even if they dip it for 1 day. I reckon this will be £45 on release day.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd February 2013 09:29 AM

I thought the MGM Steelbook of Grand Hotel was so good, I've just ordered another three of them: The Maltese Falcon, The Jazz Singer and A Streetcar Named Desire. WOW HD currently has £1 of everything so they were £11.49 each.

trebor8273 3rd February 2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 318623)
Amazon will always price-match so an early pre-order is always key as you only pay the lowest price it goes to, even if they dip it for 1 day. I reckon this will be £45 on release day.

I would agree but the new arrow release as I posted in earlier have increased and not decreased since they put them up, now £19.95 and steel books are
£25.50.

This is not the only prices increase I have seen on amazon, since hmv went into adminstartion its gotten worse, if it continues I will find someplace else to shop.

Justin101 3rd February 2013 09:37 AM

I'm going to pre-order my Star Trek but keep an eye on it, it might be cancelled 2 days before release!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd February 2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 318602)
It was WOW HD UK but they had a 15% off at the time, I think zavvi has them fairly cheap.

As WOW HD currently has £1 off every item, the Steelbooks are £11.49 which is cheaper than Zavvi so I've ordered The Maltese Falcon, A Streetcar Named Desire and The Jazz Singer.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd February 2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 318627)
I'm going to pre-order my Star Trek but keep an eye on it, it might be cancelled 2 days before release!

I'm the same with the Arrow discs I have pre-ordered on Amazon. No way will I even be paying the £21 I ordered the steelbooks at. They don't come down, they'll be cancelled.

keirarts 3rd February 2013 09:56 AM

I'm not surprised amazon are jacking up the prices. They sold stuff as cheap as possible to kill the competition and now their thinking their the last man standing they can jack the charges up. But I supect it wont last too long what with arrow selling directly and some other smaller places still going. Basically I suspect they are simply seeing how much they can get away with charging.

Rik 3rd February 2013 12:24 PM

My BD of Hotel Transylvania has shipped from Amazon, can't wait to watch it again, funniest film I've seen in the cinema in a long time. That's right, a film starring Adam Sandler that's funny! :shocked:

Justin101 3rd February 2013 12:37 PM

Felt sick seeing the price, but pre-ordered Star Trek TNG Season 3 and 'Best of Both Worlds' coming to a whopping £88.00!!!

Made a Google calendar entry to check the prices on the Friday before release as Amazon wont ship until Saturday/Sunday. It had better go down or I can imagine that in 2013 I wont be buying much unless it's preowned :lol:

trebor8273 3rd February 2013 12:51 PM

really is something strange going on at amazon at the moment cheers boxset is now over £80 and about a week ago got it for £44, complete Miami vice which other places are selling for around £40-60 is £120 at amazon:loco:

Nemesis 3rd February 2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 318631)
I'm not surprised amazon are jacking up the prices. They sold stuff as cheap as possible to kill the competition and now their thinking their the last man standing they can jack the charges up. But I supect it wont last too long what with arrow selling directly and some other smaller places still going. Basically I suspect they are simply seeing how much they can get away with charging.

Not necessarily - in the US, Raro were selling their titles directly for very reasonable prices; Amazon US apparently pressured them to sell closer to RRP.

If labels sell direct, this is one of those cases where it's best not to ask Amazon to price match because they then may very well pressure them.

It's still a bit high, but Moviemail is selling Black Sabbath for £16.99 and the Brass titles for £13.99.

Ken 3rd February 2013 02:16 PM

Hi all, just thought i would post some pics of my latest buys from the last week and a bit. Enjoy...:dance:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps386b9ed2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps3355d5b9.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps0451e7c3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps06d865b8.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps294e2253.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...psec213f7b.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps2f032585.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps45f881fb.jpg

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd February 2013 02:18 PM

Very nice Ken. I've been thinking of getting Runaway myself.

keirarts 3rd February 2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 318653)
Not necessarily - in the US, Raro were selling their titles directly for very reasonable prices; Amazon US apparently pressured them to sell closer to RRP.

If labels sell direct, this is one of those cases where it's best not to ask Amazon to price match because they then may very well pressure them.

It's still a bit high, but Moviemail is selling Black Sabbath for £16.99 and the Brass titles for £13.99.

Perhaps then, amazon is a beast that should be no longer fed?

I Know i'm contemplating switching as many orders as possible to direct from source or sainsburys in future, but as a marketplace seller its going to be hard to stop giving them some of my money.

trebor8273 3rd February 2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 318673)

I Know i'm contemplating switching as many orders as possible to direct from source or sainsburys in future, but as a marketplace seller its going to be hard to stop giving them some of my money.

Really think I will start using sainsburys as well, do they take money straight away or on dispatch? It looks like the same type of stupidity that got hmv in the state it's is, has reared its ugly head at amazon, with what's happened to hmv and play they now think that they can charge what they want, as already said this is the type of thinking that caused some of hmv problems!

BAKA 3rd February 2013 02:54 PM

I've started ordering a few things from Sainsburys too. The difference in price for a few things I've had my eye on is crazy.

Tabu (Blu-ray) - £12.99 @ Sainsburys - £17.00 @ Amazon
From Beyond (Blu-ray) - £12.99 @ Sainsburys - £17.50 @ Amazon

I didn't realise how much Amazon's price matching their two biggest competitors aided me, but now that they're both gone, even with their amazing service, the prices are getting silly.

Nemesis 3rd February 2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

I totally agree - although Amazon has never let me down so far, I think it's important that there are alternatives, particularly the labels themselves, and that they should be supported. Yet the marketplace is one reason why I cannot stop using them entirely.

Mind you, if HMV returns online, I'm not sure I'll be using them again in a hurry - to reach the stage where couriers allegedly hold onto goods already paid for because of an unpaid bill is unforgiveable.

Rik 3rd February 2013 02:56 PM

I've been using Sainsbury's for a couple of years now, they always seem to be the cheapest for most stuff and their delivery time is usually pretty good too.
They take the money on dispatch BTW :)

BAKA 3rd February 2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 318437)
My Doctor Zhivago steelbook is scratch/dent free. Yay! (pissed off at these multi-disc sets only including the 1st (or 1st & 2nd discs only) when they're re-released in steelbooks though!

I had wondered why my copy of Gone With The Wind had a number '1' on. I even took it out looking for the other disc wondering if it was one of those stacking cases.

Criterion7 3rd February 2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to take my buying completely offline and only buying from local shops unless its something super interesting or rare. I'll support an online seller rather than a company.

Nemesis 3rd February 2013 03:03 PM

Another thing that I have noticed is that Zavvi/Sendit have reduced their back catalogue quite a bit - they only seem to list things that are in stock, meaning you cannot order anything in. I tried looking for Mummy's Shroud and Quai des brumes - no dice.

Edit - by the way, if anyone is going to or has bought Criterion's Ballad of Narayama BD, there appears to be an encoding error. No word yet on replacement schemes or anything.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd February 2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 318689)
I had wondered why my copy of Gone With The Wind had a number '1' on. I even took it out looking for the other disc wondering if it was one of those stacking cases.

Yeah, I would've gladly paid a little more for it if they had included the other discs.

trebor8273 3rd February 2013 03:48 PM

Just preordered season one of enterprise and season 3 of next gen on blu ray from sainburys can't see amazon beating these prices. £50.99 each.

keirarts 3rd February 2013 04:12 PM

I've ordered FROM BEYOND.

Ordered a nectar card to try and start earning points as well.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

If we stop visiting Amazon then you won't earn anything. :)

Susan Foreman 3rd February 2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 318721)
Ordered a nectar card to try and start earning points as well.

I've got one, and it's got hundreds of points on it. All those bottles of vodka I've bought over the year

Trouble is...I have no idea how to 'cash them in'!

Rik 3rd February 2013 05:52 PM

Does anyone know what's happened to DVDCOMPARE.NET, the domain has expired?

dvdcompare.net

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd February 2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 318756)
Does anyone know what's happened to DVDCOMPARE.NET, the domain has expired?

dvdcompare.net

Not sure, but the guy who runs it said on Twitter that it should be back up by the 6th at the latest.

Rik 3rd February 2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 318757)
Not sure, but the guy who runs it said on Twitter that it should be back up by the 6th at the latest.

Ah right, good stuff, cheers Stephen