Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th August 2014 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They should've changed this too....

Attachment 141982

Susan Foreman 8th August 2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 413632)
They should've changed this too....

Attachment 141982

That I agree with - your comment, that is!

BAKA 8th August 2014 01:11 PM

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6736ff9.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ps314891ef.jpg

The last of my B&N Criterion haul arrived this week. Once again, hugely fortunate to avoid customs. Also recent arrivals from the Masters Of Cinema collection. A lot of the DVDs seem to be approaching OOP status, so I'm trying to get the ones I want prior to them all shooting up in value. A bit of a classy few weeks. I have a fair bit of trash piling up ready to even that out soon enough though.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th August 2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 413620)
Arrow's BOUND arrived today. Honestly don't why they had to put "commentary by The Wachowski's" on it. They were the Wachowski Brothers when the did it.

Attachment 141980

I sympathise with both sides of this argument as, on the credits, it is written and directed by either Andy and Larry Wachowski or 'The Wachowski Brothers', but Arrow are reflecting the current gender of the filmmaker formerly known as Larry Wachowski and being sensitive to her wishes.

The credits on the back of the box. No doubt reflect those at the beginning and end of the film.

ArgentoFan1987 8th August 2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 413637)
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6736ff9.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ps314891ef.jpg

The last of my B&N Criterion haul arrived this week. Once again, hugely fortunate to avoid customs. Also recent arrivals from the Masters Of Cinema collection. A lot of the DVDs seem to be approaching OOP status, so I'm trying to get the ones I want prior to them all shooting up in value. A bit of a classy few weeks. I have a fair bit of trash piling up ready to even that out soon enough though.

Faust is excellent!!!

ArgentoFan1987 8th August 2014 02:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Recent purchases! All Blu-Ray's.

***not seen

Attachment 141985*** (includes DVD)

Attachment 141986***

Attachment 141987***

sjconstable 8th August 2014 02:52 PM

'The Wachowskis' doesn't suggest any gender so I don't see what the problem is, in fact that's exactly what I refer to them as.

Demoncrat 8th August 2014 02:56 PM

New remote for me dvd player from eBum. Had put cheapish batteries in the last one, and they leaked :mmph::rant::eek:

As we say in the north...you buy cheap, you buy dear.....

SShaw 8th August 2014 06:47 PM

Three more titles for the collection this weekend:

Eternal Love Haven't seen this one before.
Non-Stop Some brainless action to watch with a couple of cold beers.
Detention of the Dead Teenage Comedy Horror that screened at one of the Frightfest events last year. It's now available on German blu under the title School of the Living Dead so I thought I would give it a second chance.

Did think about taking Across the River, but it is not English friendly - although if I recall correctly there is very little dialogue in this atmospheric slow burner.

Sobral 8th August 2014 07:25 PM

http://s15.postimg.org/ihf5aa5x7/DSCF3441.jpg

4€ for the two, not bad.

keirarts 8th August 2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 413645)
Recent purchases! All Blu-Ray's.

***not seen

Attachment 141985*** (includes DVD)

Attachment 141986***

Attachment 141987***

If you havent seen any of these then get them watched. I love all three films.

King of new york is one of abel Ferrarers best films, certainly up there with ms.45 and Bad lieutenant for me.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th August 2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 413690)
If you havent seen any of these then get them watched. I love all three films.

I agree on two of them, but didn't think much of You're Next. Over-hyped and no way near as fresh or original as touted around the web.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 413690)
King of new york is one of abel Ferrarers best films, certainly up there with ms.45 and Bad lieutenant for me.

I'll echo this. :nod:

Frankenhooker 8th August 2014 09:14 PM

Picked up the Re-Animator Steelbook, and I'm really looking forward to watching it, it's been far too long, tempted to let my daughter have a peek after I caught her watching Evil Dead the other day, God bless her twelve year old heart.

I also bought Arrow's Slaughter High, which I'm kind of meh about, never liked it much in the 80s, but it was cheap enough. I also found the Synergy copy of The Exterminator in a charity shop for 25p, I own the Arrow Bluray, but I can't leave a film like The Exterminator languishing in a charity shop, regardless of the DVD quality.

monkeypedro 8th August 2014 10:57 PM

6 Attachment(s)
This weeks deliveries.

keirarts 8th August 2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 413692)
I agree on two of them, but didn't think much of You're Next. Over-hyped and no way near as fresh or original as touted around the web.

Agree to disagree on that, I've watched the film four or five times so far and still enjoy it. While I enjoy the purge I thought YN was the better film that year.

ArgentoFan1987 9th August 2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 413702)
Picked up the Re-Animator Steelbook, and I'm really looking forward to watching it, it's been far too long, tempted to let my daughter have a peek after I caught her watching Evil Dead the other day, God bless her twelve year old heart.

I also bought Arrow's Slaughter High, which I'm kind of meh about, never liked it much in the 80s, but it was cheap enough. I also found the Synergy copy of The Exterminator in a charity shop for 25p, I own the Arrow Bluray, but I can't leave a film like The Exterminator languishing in a charity shop, regardless of the DVD quality.

I loved Slaughrer High! There's just something about it I love! It's one of my favourite 80's slasher!

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 08:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the German blu-ray of Slither today. Yes Koch Media, telling me it's from the director of Guardians Of The Galaxy would definitely get me to buy it (he says sarcastically).

Attachment 142136 Attachment 142137

monkeyscreams 9th August 2014 09:43 AM

Now 15% discount on everything at the new eureka website. Only this weekend afaik.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/uverabav.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 413734)
Agree to disagree on that, I've watched the film four or five times so far and still enjoy it. While I enjoy the purge I thought YN was the better film that year.

I have yet to see The Purge or its sequel, but just didn't connect with You're Next. The characters were unlikeable, to the extent where I couldn't care less whether any of them lived or died - in fact most of them I wanted to exit stage right as soon as possible - and the plot twist came as no surprise, or perhaps I'd just given up caring by then anyway... I quite liked the gimmicky animal masks but that was about it. :D

I haven't seen too many of the horror offerings from 2013 (I'd rather curl up with some '70s/'80s schlock or a '60s gothic curio from my ridiculously large watch list where horror is concerned, than invest my time in some of these modern conveyor belt monstrosities), but I did prefer You're Next to the terrible and yawn inspiring The Conjuring and Mama, plus the annoyingly pointless Evil Dead remake/reboot/rehash. Oh, and Ghost Shark too, but that can be forgiven slightly in as much as it wasn't meant to be good in the first place and fully understands this.

However, looking at my 2013 ratings, I did enjoy Frankenstein's Army, Home Sweet Home, and VHS 2 more than You're Next... take from this what you will!

Rondadoronron 9th August 2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 413746)
I have yet to see The Purge or its sequel, but just didn't connect with You're Next. The characters were unlikeable, to the extent where I couldn't care less whether any of them lived or died - in fact most of them I wanted to exit stage right as soon as possible - and the plot twist came as no surprise, or perhaps I'd just given up caring by then anyway... I quite liked the gimmicky animal masks but that was about it. :D

I haven't seen too many of the horror offerings from 2013 (I'd rather curl up with some '70s/'80s schlock or a '60s gothic curio from my ridiculously large watch list where horror is concerned, than invest my time in some of these modern conveyor belt monstrosities), but I did prefer You're Next to the terrible and yawn inspiring The Conjuring and Mama, plus the annoyingly pointless Evil Dead remake/reboot/rehash. Oh, and Ghost Shark too, but that can be forgiven slightly in as much as it wasn't meant to be good in the first place and fully understands this.

However, looking at my 2013 ratings, I did enjoy Frankenstein's Army, Home Sweet Home, and VHS 2 more than You're Next... take from this what you will!

Nicely put Mr B.E. well written etc,can i just add that I thought You're Next sucked also,not a patch on Al Adamson.:behindsofa: christ I spelt You're Next wrong,got there before the spellin nazi arrived.

VeZius 9th August 2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 413741)
Got the German blu-ray of Slither today. Yes Koch Media, telling me it's from the director of Guardians Of The Galaxy would definitely get me to buy it (he says sarcastically).

Attachment 142136 Attachment 142137

Is that a good release? I've been wanting to get that film for ages.

monkeypedro 9th August 2014 02:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The postman just delivered my steel books of The Raid 2 and Anchorman.

sjconstable 9th August 2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 413745)
Now 15% discount on everything at the new eureka website. Only this weekend afaik.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/uverabav.jpg

Except the one title that I want to buy isn't even on there still (City of Women), they're showing real incompetence with this new store I'm afraid. Well, the old one too to be fair.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 04:13 PM

What Have You Bought Recently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 413759)
Is that a good release? I've been wanting to get that film for ages.

Haven't had a chance to check the disc out yet, but I hear it's pretty good.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 04:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This week's new arrivals.

Pete 9th August 2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 413783)
This week's new arrivals.

What's The Tormentor? Looks like a giallo.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 413785)
What's The Tormentor? Looks like a giallo.

It's Death Carries a Cane.

It's on the Full Moon label. The picture quality isn't perfect but it's very watchable with no subs but a nice clear dub track.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow night and then post some stills.

Pete 9th August 2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 413786)
It's Death Carries a Cane.

It's on the Full Moon label. The picture quality isn't perfect but it's very watchable with no subs but a nice clear dub track.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow night and then post some stills.

Ah, thank you :)

I used to have the X-Rated Kult edition of that film and it had one of the worst dvd transfers I've ever seen. It was almost unwatchable.

There's a remastered edition which I've been meaning to pick up for a while now.

trebor8273 9th August 2014 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked these up for £5 each from British hart foundation

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 413794)
Picked these up for £5 each from British hart foundation

Haven't seen Forever Knight since they first aired on Sky many moons ago. Even longer since I saw the first version of the pilot, Nick Knight, starring Rick Springfield.

trebor8273 9th August 2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 413799)
Haven't seen Forever Knight since they first aired on Sky many moons ago. Even longer since I saw the first version of the pilot, Nick Knight, starring Rick Springfield.

Same here,but I remember I really enjoyed it when it aired. So for £5 each I thought I would see how they have aged. Watching the pilot now and has aged quite well(better that a lot of stuff around the same time). Can see the character must of been a great influence on angel, as there both very similar.

Buboven 9th August 2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

I agree with everything you said in this post. I really didn't why Frankensteins Army had to be found footage though. i think i would have liked it a bit better if it wasn't.

bdc 9th August 2014 08:32 PM

Been buying loads,all kinds of stuff which I won't bore you with,all mostly (very) cheap and from sales. Mostly things I need or will need in the near future but also some fun stuff. ;)

Some examples of recent buys and arrivals:

Anvil on dvd like new: 0.75 cents

http://oi58.tinypic.com/28jhemf.jpg

New Pierre Cardin polo on sale: 5.40 Euro

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2liufzo.jpg

2 more new Cardin "logo polos" on sale: 7.80 Euro each

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2v2fn8i.jpg http://oi60.tinypic.com/hskrao.jpg

One For All universal remote: 25 cents complete with manual and batteries.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2db9cig.jpg

4 x Senseo cups new boxed including a pop art one: 12.5 cents each.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/11m7pmr.jpg

Etc,etc,etc! :loco:

keirarts 9th August 2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

In fairness, the characters were all ment to be unlikeable. But as always with film no one is going to like every film released. Just like my dislike of jean pierre jounet , I like modern output as much as 60s 70s stuff.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 413813)
In fairness, the characters were all ment to be unlikeable. But as always with film no one is going to like every film released. Just like my dislike of jean pierre jounet , I like modern output as much as 60s 70s stuff.

If this is indeed the case, then the film was flawed from the start. If I don't like any of the characters then why should I care what happens to them? I do enjoy lots of modern offerings too, just not these bland soulless rehashes that seem to be the norm nowadays. A generalisation certainly, but if given the choice to delve through some '70s weirdness that I hadn't seen before or watch the latest horror sensation, then the former would would win out - my cinematic heart belongs to the '60s/'70s/'80s, but of course there are gems and awfulness in every decade.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 413814)
If this is indeed the case, then the film was flawed from the start. If I don't like any of the characters then why should I care what happens to them? I do enjoy lots of modern offerings too, just not these bland soulless rehashes that seem to be the norm nowadays. A generalisation certainly, but if given the choice to delve through some '70s weirdness that I hadn't seen before or watch the latest horror sensation, then the former would would win out - my cinematic heart belongs to the '60s/'70s/'80s, but of course there are gems and awfulness in every decade.

This is always a big issue with me, especially in modern blockbusters.

Make Them Die Slowly 9th August 2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 413815)
This is always a big issue with me, especially in modern blockbusters.

There is too much characterisation in modern blockbusters for me, I like them dumb and full of CGI. This is a recent thing and I have no idea why. My ideal film presently would be THE RAID but featuring Transformers instead of people!

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 413818)
There is too much characterisation in modern blockbusters for me, I like them dumb and full of CGI. This is a recent thing and I have no idea why. My ideal film presently would be THE RAID but featuring Transformers instead of people!

The stuff of nightmares if you ask me.

keirarts 10th August 2014 06:35 AM

I don't really see modern films being any better or worse than older films.
I think there is a tendency with people to see what came before as in some way superior to whats being released now but i've never bought in to that notion at all.

Lets take films like Sinister, the conjuring and insidious. What I like to call 'ghost train movies' essentially designed to offer jumps and scares to the audience. I re-watched Legend of hell house and the haunting recently and honestly its the same tricks used in all of them, perhaps modern film makers have more to work with but essentially there is little difference.

I think if a film has characters that inspire no passion either way then that is a flaw. I do reject the notion that films should have characters you like. I really like Henry portrait of a serial killer. Frankly non of the characters in that film are remotely sympathetic in any way. Closest is perhaps Otis's sister but even shes not really likable.

Same with You're next. The family is full of self interested creeps and it takes the final girl till near the end to realise this, the killers despite looking fearsome turn out to be idiots and the whole scheme is a poorly realised get rich quick scheme concocted on behalf of the bratty spoiled kids. For me this actually made a nice chage from a lot of slashers that try reeeeeaaal hard to offer up likeable characters and often fail to deliver.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th August 2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 413818)

I wouldn't say it's a recent thing at all; there is loads of characterisation and character development in the likes of The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure. Also, films like the Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Jaws would easily be classified as blockbusters.

I agree with Demdike that The Raid with Transformers instead of people sounds like cinematic hell!