Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2014 05:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Having dug out my old VCR and hooked it back up I decided to take a quick trip down my old charity shop to peruse their dwindling stock of tapes and came back with these at £1.00 each.
Attachment 151187 Attachment 151188Attachment 151189 Attachment 151190
Attachment 151191

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2014 06:01 PM

Great pick-up regarding Eyes of Fire, JK. A gem of a film.

trebor8273 6th December 2014 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Preordered this lovely looking steelbook from zavvi

plasterface 6th December 2014 07:46 PM

gotg

picked up the cassette soundtrack for guardians of the galaxy £8 , hmv exclusive in uk. Going for for around £30 on ebay

Crimson Blade 6th December 2014 07:56 PM

http://i59.tinypic.com/amr579.jpg

SShaw 6th December 2014 08:02 PM

Two blu-ray pick-ups in town as a St Nicholas present to myself:

John Carpenter double bill (German Blu) of Ghosts of Mars and Starman

and 22 Jump Street (well somebody has to buy it I suppose).

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 427784)
Great pick-up regarding Eyes of Fire, JK. A gem of a film.

The blu's fantastic. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 427802)
The blu's fantastic. :nod:

:confused:

There isn't one. It hasn't even made the leap to DVD yet (unless you count the full screen grey market Thai release... which I don't!)

http://dv1.us/p1/639/056639-d0.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 427803)
:confused:

There isn't one. It hasn't even made the leap to DVD yet (unless you count the full screen grey market Thai release... which I don't!)

http://dv1.us/p1/639/056639-d0.jpg

I was going to go into rant mode regarding the number of films which have had 78 different disc releases during the last ten years, whereas something such as this, as you rightly say, is languishing in the doldrums probably never to see the light of day.

Then i decided against it. ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 427804)
I was going to go into rant mode regarding the number of films which have had 78 different disc releases during the last ten years, whereas something such as this, as you rightly say, is languishing in the doldrums probably never to see the light of day.

Then i decided against it. ;)

Rights issues/lack of decent materials will no doubt be the reason, as is the case with a lot of these obscure cult titles sadly. They're not big money-makers either what with so few people having heard of them, let alone liking them enough to purchase a copy.

Personally, I'd love an official DVD release of Eyes of Fire though.

Vipp 6th December 2014 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Zane from the forum linked to this Blu on sale for £7 so i picked it up. I like the Vipco release and lets be honest that release looks like poo so this will be like a first viewing. :)

Rik 6th December 2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 427810)
Zane from the forum linked to this Blu on sale for £7 so i picked it up. I like the Vipco release and lets be honest that release looks like poo so this will be like a first viewing. :)

It's a great release, not even slightly annoyed it ended up less than half the price I paid for it nearly a year ago.... :)

Vipp 6th December 2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 427813)
It's a great release, not even slightly annoyed it ended up less than half the price I paid for it nearly a year ago.... :)

I know what you mean Rik, to be honest i haven't seen it drop in price at all so when Black Friday came around and Zane pointed this out it was a no brainer for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 427808)
Rights issues/lack of decent materials will no doubt be the reason, as is the case with a lot of these obscure cult titles sadly. They're not big money-makers either what with so few people having heard of them, let alone liking them enough to purchase a copy.

Things like this never bothered the vhs companies.

I know it's a different world and not for the better nowadays, when it comes to what gets released. :(

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 427825)

I know it's a different world and not for the better nowadays, when it comes to what gets released. :(

All too true unfortunately.

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 427825)

Couldn't agree with you more! As much as I like various labels, (MOC, Arrow
and Shameless) they always seem to be re-releasing earlier releases. 'Metropolis' is the latest one from Eureka, nice steelbook but I'm not falling for it! Shamless did it with the Deodato pictures, putting them in a single collection with some new artwork. I'd rather not double dip unless its a upgrade to Blu and a massive improvement I'm not going to triple dip to the same format! Thousands of lesser known movies out there just waiting to see the light of day! Just seen Eyes of Fire. Although not great I did enjoy it and would certainly buy an upgraded version.

JoshuaKaitlyn 7th December 2014 09:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Car boot this morning (I don't usually do these...too early/cold). More VHS goodies

Attachment 151347Attachment 151348Attachment 151349Attachment 151350Attachment 151351

The Dracula set, although a little beat up on the back is complete with novel but is missing the pin :sad:
The Jurassic box I originally had but gave it away to my nephew when I bought the DVD.

VeZius 7th December 2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 427889)
Car boot this morning (I don't usually do these...too early/cold). More VHS goodies

Attachment 151347Attachment 151348Attachment 151349Attachment 151350Attachment 151351

The Dracula set, although a little beat up on the back is complete with novel but is missing the pin :sad:
The Jurassic box I originally had but gave it away to my nephew when I bought the DVD.

That Jurassic Park case looks amazing. :eek:

keirarts 7th December 2014 10:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 427834)
Couldn't agree with you more! As much as I like various labels, (MOC, Arrow
and Shameless) they always seem to be re-releasing earlier releases. 'Metropolis' is the latest one from Eureka, nice steelbook but I'm not falling for it! Shamless did it with the Deodato pictures, putting them in a single collection with some new artwork. I'd rather not double dip unless its a upgrade to Blu and a massive improvement I'm not going to triple dip to the same format! Thousands of lesser known movies out there just waiting to see the light of day! Just seen Eyes of Fire. Although not great I did enjoy it and would certainly buy an upgraded version.

Trouble is, most non-cult fans stream their films, sales of hard copies are plummeting. Perhaps films like this might appear on some streaming site but for how long? Not enough hits to warrant it being there and it'll vanish. Perhaps i'm a luddite (in fact i most definitely am. ) but I suspect streaming may eventually drive the final nail into the coffin of retro releases.
Sadly given the expense of releasing stuff, a dwindling market for sales so a lot of companies are playing it safe and going for major releases.
Scorpion have taken some chances and the stuff they have taken chances on seems to sell poorly. I would mention code red but lets be honest, bill olsen seems to prefer poor sales so he can have a moan.

Still.....

My desire to remain poor shows no signs of stopping, went on marketplace this morning....

Exorcist box set is currently £20 fr4om supermart USA, just hope they ship it as the swine cancelled TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT twice on me, The Jimmy Wang Yu collection is a little under £13 at time of typing.

Attachment 151359 Attachment 151360

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 427895)
Perhaps i'm a luddite (in fact i most definitely am. ) but I suspect streaming may eventually drive the final nail into the coffin of retro releases.

I don't think it will. As long as there is a market for physical media (and I believe there will be) then it will survive in one form or another. It may go the same way as vinyl with a few key companies self-releasing in limited quantities - it's already starting to go that way what with companies like Code Red, Scorpion, and Twilight Time adhering to this model where niche cult titles are concerned.

plasterface 7th December 2014 11:45 AM

blu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 427810)

nice little release , but why is there a trailer for zombie holocaust when another label is releasing it.

PaulD 7th December 2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 427899)
I don't think it will. As long as there is a market for physical media (and I believe there will be) then it will survive in one form or another. It may go the same way as vinyl with a few key companies self-releasing in limited quantities - it's already starting to go that way what with companies like Code Red, Scorpion, and Twilight Time adhering to this model where niche cult titles are concerned.

Definitely. The response to 88 Films crowdfunding campaign shows there's definitely a positive correlation between fans of physical media and cult fandom.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 11:54 AM

The increasing sales of vinyl are showing that people, and indeed younger people, want something to show for their monies spent.

Perhaps not thousands of lp's, discs etc like we have but something to keep and go back to.

keirarts 7th December 2014 11:58 AM

I hope i'm wrong, but I would point out that most of the enthusiastic fan response tends to be for well know titles such as Zombie holocaust. I wonder what sort of response eyes of fire would garner?

I've no doubt that at least the major 'nasties' and suchlike will continue to have some level of support but given the poor sales on scorpions back catalogue less well known titles may continue to be ignored.

My only suggestion to try and turn this situation around would be some kind of dedicated cult movie screening site that could in some way promote these kinds of films and give them some level of exposure. Otherwise I suspect some films may simply disappear.

Frankenhooker 7th December 2014 11:59 AM

No horror for me, but I picked up David Simon's Generation Kill in cex for £4. I loved The Wire and The Corner, hopefully this is as good.

I also popped in Poundland and they had Downfall in there, snapped that up as well as The Town and Doug Liman's Go.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 427905)
I hope i'm wrong, but I would point out that most of the enthusiastic fan response tends to be for well know titles such as Zombie holocaust. I wonder what sort of response eyes of fire would garner?

The thing is it doesn't have to have a bells and whistles blu-ray release :faint:

Just release a reasonable copy on dvd, put it on a linked four pack like Shout do for example. Even on demand like the Archive collections.

Network release tons of obscure British films as an example. All with lovely transfers. I bet some only sell 100 copies at most. Selling for £6.99, it's a price worth a blind buy. That may well be the answer, sell at a price that's worth a gamble.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 427910)
The thing is it doesn't have to have a bells and whistles blu-ray release :faint:

Just release a reasonable copy on dvd, put it on a linked four pack like Shout do for example. Even on demand like the Archive collections.

Network release tons of obscure British films as an example. All with lovely transfers. I bet some only sell 100 copies at most. Selling for £6.99, it's a price worth a blind buy. That may well be the answer, sell at a price that's worth a gamble.

I would imagine the original camera negative for Eyes of Fire doesn't exist and, if there is material, a DVD release will satisfy demand – it's bound to be a massive improvement over VHS!

I'd dearly love William Friedkin's Rampage to be released on DVD in the UK or US (why it's only been released in Poland is a mystery) and would be stunned if the materials weren't available to make it possible even in a barebones release, although a special edition-type DVD with new interviews or commentary would be even better.

As you said, it's going to be much better than these films are available on DVD with no extras than not at all, so they shouldn't cost the earth to make or buy, whether online or in HMV, or both.

Nordicdusk 7th December 2014 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 151361

JoshuaKaitlyn 7th December 2014 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 427893)
That Jurassic Park case looks amazing. :eek:

The back of the case.
Attachment 151362
Hard black plastic complete with a booklet inside:)

VeZius 7th December 2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 427917)
The back of the case.
Attachment 151362
Hard black plastic complete with a booklet inside:)

That's lovely! Wish I could get it in my collection someday.

keirarts 7th December 2014 03:17 PM

I suspect my opinions may be jaded from encounters with film fans who genuinely had no clue what my eraserhead t-shirt was about and don't bother buying anything and preferring to stream and download. I go to a tuesday night table top RPG/wargaming club and there's a whole bunch of the younger members who are like that.

Nordicdusk 7th December 2014 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 151363

Round 2 today

keirarts 7th December 2014 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 151365

£2 on the car boot this morning.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
50p in Cash Generator. Reversible cover.....with the exact same on the reverse. Very weird.

Attachment 151368

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 05:31 PM

So what side did you opt for?:lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 427937)
So what side did you opt for?:lol:

I'm going to switch it every month :lol:

trebor8273 7th December 2014 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to post this yesterday, which I'm about to start watching as in the mood for some funny and uplifting. Don't what it is just not in the mood for horror at the moment

R-T-C Tim 7th December 2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 427936)
50p in Cash Generator. Reversible cover.....with the exact same on the reverse. Very weird.

Attachment 151368

I've noticed that on some of the prism discs have that. Strange.

I've got that same set and can strongly recommend 'Armageddon' (or Redline as also known, if still no more explanatory), an excellent Rutger Hauer film in a grim futuristic setting.

My Redline review.

Not watched the other three yet.

J Harker 8th December 2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 427900)
nice little release , but why is there a trailer for zombie holocaust when another label is releasing it.

Since the Stagefright blu was put together Exposure have joined up with 88films for Zombie Holocaust and Burial Ground blu's. At least that's how I understand it.

Nordicdusk 8th December 2014 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 151374

Last purchase of my trip I can't believe I have waited this long to pick up a blu ray of this and I still don't have a blu ray of Texas chainsaw. The shame