All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2016, 12:14 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
If I had to pick my all time favourite movie it would probably be this. I enjoy it more everytime I see it and at this point I've lost track of how many times I've seen it. I've read the manga over so many times pages are starting to fall out.

Any list this fits in, it would instantly end up at number 1 for me.
I still remember the first time I saw Akira it blew my mind still does today.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It was probably about number 12 on my list and I really struggled to delete it. It was in my top 20 and top 15, but I was determined to reduce the list to 10 as per the thread title.
I'm very interested to see the 10 other films you thought were better

But really, it's a movie I fully understand others not feeling quite the same about, I'm not as defensive or obsesseive as say, someone who says Donnie Darko doesn't make sense (don't even get me started on it's meaning though, requires pretty much an essay and some serious mapping out). In fact if anything I'm happy to hear it was a struggle to have it not make the top 10.

How's this for a list idea? Top 10 movies EVER in your opinion
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 5th April 2016, 12:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It was designed as a dystopian future sci-fi thriller/horror but, as with many films set in the future such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, Back to the Future and Blade Runner, natural progression has overtaken fictional events making the future the past! Therefore, I am going by the author's intention.
With The Terminator being set in 1984 the year it was made it's not exactly a dystopian future though, nor post apocalypse.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I still remember the first time I saw Akira it blew my mind still does today.
Same here, I first saw it fairly young when I first got into anime, maybe 10 or 11, and knew nothing about it except that it was a classic.

It goes to say I came out completely shocked and amazed and blown away, and despite going quite off anime, this, Cowboy Bebop and its movie, and anything Ghost in the Shell thoroughly left their mark on me and I still love them all to this day.

Since seeing Akira I've picked up 4 different copies of the movie, including a steelbook and a tin, all 6 manga in English, the first volume in Japanese, the poster, 3D printed Kaneda's bike, seen the movie in cinemas nearly any time it's been shown near me in 35mm or 2K, and even read up to date in Bartkira, which i only recommend if you have quite an open mind.
Justin101 and Nordicdusk like this.

Old 5th April 2016, 12:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

If we ever do an Anime top 10 you can count me out straight away. I've never sat through one of them fully.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
With The Terminator being set in 1984 the year it was made it's not exactly a dystopian future though, nor post apocalypse.
Terminator, Terminator 2 and 2001 A Space Odyssey appeared on a lot of the lists on IMDB I used to work out which I'd seen, but I'm not quite sure I'd personally consider any post-apocalyptic or dystopian. Salvation would fit in I'd say but not sure about the rest.

Old 5th April 2016, 12:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Terminator, Terminator 2 and 2001 A Space Odyssey appeared on a lot of the lists on IMDB I used to work out which I'd seen, but I'm not quite sure I'd personally consider any post-apocalyptic or dystopian. Salvation would fit in I'd say but not sure about the rest.
Exactly, none of the are post apocalyptic except Salvation but that wouldn't get in anybodies top 10 surely.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It is set in 1984 which is the past, because the present is 2029, when humans are fighting the machines (following Judgement Day) and, because the humans are winning, the machines send a terminator back in time to kill the resistance leader before he is born.

2029 is the dystopian/post-apocalyptic future!
Old 5th April 2016, 12:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
If we ever do an Anime top 10 you can count me out straight away. I've never sat through one of them fully.
I saw a lot back when I was into them and let me tell you, besides for anything by Studio Ghibli or Satoshi Kon, I'd be hard pressed to find 10 worth recommending, let alone say are good.

That was actually why I gave up on it, got fed up of paying through the nose for most of it to be average or flat out shit. I still have a pile of the stuff I've tried to sell but can't even give away!

Just had a look then in fact, bar the two categories above and the 4 others I listed in my list before, I couldn't even find 5 good ones!

Old 5th April 2016, 12:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Exactly, none of the are post apocalyptic except Salvation but that wouldn't get in anybodies top 10 surely.
I haven't seen the first in years and probably need to give it another watch because at the moment Salvation is actually my second favourite.

What can I say? I've enjoyed it everytime I've seen it, and Rise of the Machines is absolute rubbish.

Like this? Share it using the links below!