Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2016, 11:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Would anyone care to say why they like it so much.
While it's not always successful, Driller Killer takes the punk scene of 70's New York and really offers a look at the grim underbelly of what was happening in the city with the urge to create art that is tempered by the need to cater to commercial needs. It's almost like the film itself which straddles the worlds of 42nd street exploitation and Art house pretensions somewhat uneasily. In fact I think its a sensibility that came through in a lot of the directors work.
My picks were the films that I genuinely think are actually pretty good films. There are more that almost made it like I spit on your grave and last house on the left. Others that are pretty shit but would make it for reasons of being fun like unhinged, don't go in the woods & Axe.
Nightmare maker is actually a pretty unappreciated little Gem of a movie that deserves more love, looking at small town prejudice and homophobia. My only real nod to trash is Anthropophagus, a film that in spite of its obvious flaws I think is actually pretty successful at creating a genuinely creepy atmosphere.
Old 5th January 2016, 11:55 PM
Cult Addict

Yep i liked Nightmare maker too, but having only seen a dodgy copy, would need 2 see it again decently then i'm sure it would hit the top 20.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 5th January 2016, 11:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Yep i liked Nightmare maker too, but having only seen a dodgy copy, would need 2 see it again decently then i'm sure it would hit the top 20.
Oddly I originally found the pre-cert VHS in a bargain bin in a junk store in Cambridge back in the 90's for a quid and snapped it up as it was a nasty. I really liked the film but couldn't resist selling it on for a meaty profit that paid for a super nintendo! Thankfully I managed to get the code red DVD.
Old 6th January 2016, 06:52 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
I wrote this on here back in 2009(!)

"A 70's gem in my eyes, Abel Ferrara's The Driller Killer is a great play on a how a pressured, discontented mind is worn down and eventually snaps. This comes out in strange fixations, visions, and a drill powered hobo killing spree.

Laine is fantastic as psychotic painter Reno, and can monologue like the best of them. Very gritty, and shot in a very melancholic fashion, Driller Killer is an essential piece of horror cinema.
"

I would add that I can see how people would not take to it though considering how a lot of the covers of old portrayed it as a psychotic gore-fest (although that said many nasties are guilty of 'miss-selling' their wares...). Too much Tony Coca Cola is possibly another reason.
Old 6th January 2016, 08:26 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
More love for Driller Killer
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Effective management of the homeless.
I spent a lot of 2015 homeless

Are you suggesting it would have been a good thing if I had been drilled, Mr. Slowly?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th January 2016, 10:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Here's my Top Ten Video Nasties:
  1. Zombie Flesheaters
  2. The Evil Dead
  3. Cannibal Holocaust
  4. The Beyond
  5. Possession
  6. The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue
  7. Tenebrae
  8. The Burning
  9. Inferno
  10. Bloody Moon
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th January 2016, 10:04 AM
Cult Master

What is the general feeling towards The Burning. It really seems to split horror fans I personally love it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th January 2016, 10:38 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
What is the general feeling towards The Burning. It really seems to split horror fans I personally love it.
I like it but don't love it. I don't particularly care for the characters in it.
Old 6th January 2016, 10:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Main reason I like it is for the FX work by Tom Savini, same reason why I like Friday the 13th, both films would be nothing without him IMO
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th January 2016, 10:45 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Main reason I like it is for the FX work by Tom Savini, same reason why I like Friday the 13th, both films would be nothing without him IMO
Yes the kills are very good. As you say they make both films. I don't think i'd entertain either film either were it not for the kills.

Like this? Share it using the links below!