Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2022, 12:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
So someone famous goes over and smacks the presenter on live tv yet not one single person stood up and did anything, Or any security thinking it might spiral out of control, if that was joe bloggs from the public they are all over it, normally anyone even if just security would be having a quiet word in will ear, and someone checking if Chris is ok, but nope no one at all, does that alone not seem odd, even if no one was bothered don't you think it was a bit odd that Chris didn't even put his hand on his face as if to say ow, that's normal reaction to do when someone smacks you.
Very true, gag.
Old 28th March 2022, 12:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Surely that's good acting though. It all seemed very WWE to me.

Especially when you consider there's absolutely nothing else to discuss regarding the ceremony. They've gone as inclusive as possible with the best film but ended up giving it to a film nobody has seen nor will want to see. Except your good self.

At least this has everyone talking about the drama of the OSCARS once again even if nobody gives a monkeys about the actual awards. Twitter will be on fire and that's all people care about in 2021.
Of all the films up for nomination, I've seen:
  • Nightmare Alley (Best Picture nominee)
  • West Side Story (Best Picture nominee)
  • Encanto (Best Animated Feature winner)
  • Luca (Best Animated Feature nominee)
  • Raya and the Last Dragon (Best Animated Feature nominee)
  • Cruella (Best Costume Design winner and Best Makeup and Hair nominee)
  • No Time To Die (Best Sound and Best Visual Effects nominee)
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Best Visual Effects nominee)
Old 28th March 2022, 01:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
So someone famous goes over and smacks the presenter on live tv yet not one single person stood up and did anything, Or any security thinking it might spiral out of control, if that was joe bloggs from the public they are all over it, normally anyone even if just security would be having a quiet word in will ear, and someone checking if Chris is ok, but nope no one at all, does that alone not seem odd, even if no one was bothered don't you think it was a bit odd that Chris didn't even put his hand on his face as if to say ow, that's normal reaction to do when someone smacks you.
I think everyone was a bit taken aback, Chris Rock included

I don't know what security was around, but what could/should they have done when a Best Actor nominee walks from the front row to the stage, up to the presenter, slaps him, and then goes straight back to his seat?

Chris Rock seemed to take the assault in his stride and was more bothered by Will Smith's shouted demand not to talk about his wife than the physical confrontation.

The fact that he felt comfortable saying what he did and Smith wasn't concerned about any comeback from smacking someone in the face in front of a large audience and on live TV shows how privileged they are and feel.

Like you say, if a member of the public had walked up and smacked the presenter in the face, they would have been arrested.
Old 28th March 2022, 07:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think it was staged because Chris Rock seemed genuinely surprised.
I do not think it was staged either,If you look at Jada's face when Chris makes the joke you can see she is not a happy woman after the joke and Will make his move on Chris also would the broadcaster allow so much swearing even though it was bleeped out?
it'smebilly likes this.
Old 28th March 2022, 08:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
I do not think it was staged either,If you look at Jada's face when Chris makes the joke you can see she is not a happy woman after the joke and Will make his move on Chris also would the broadcaster allow so much swearing even though it was bleeped out?
The use of expletives is what makes it authentic to me. The Oscars ceremony is a prestigious event broadcast to millions of homes and rated TV-PG. Even with the delay for networks to moderate the content, for an A-list to drop the 'F bomb' twice – not accidentally, but intentionally and with anger – would be considered a big deal.
Old 28th March 2022, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The use of expletives is what makes it authentic to me. The Oscars ceremony is a prestigious event broadcast to millions of homes and rated TV-PG. Even with the delay for networks to moderate the content, for an A-list to drop the 'F bomb' twice – not accidentally, but intentionally and with anger – would be considered a big deal.
Do you recall the MTV Awards when Sacha Baron Cohen as Bruno descended on wings and landed on top of Eminem whilst he was performing and stormed off the stage in a hail of expletives?

It was all supposedly real until it finally came out that both stars had performed it.

To me last night was a similar stunt.
Old 29th March 2022, 09:05 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Do you recall the MTV Awards when Sacha Baron Cohen as Bruno descended on wings and landed on top of Eminem whilst he was performing and stormed off the stage in a hail of expletives?

It was all supposedly real until it finally came out that both stars had performed it.

To me last night was a similar stunt.
If it was a stunt, why do it when the show is almost over and there's only a few awards to give out?

Also, say the Academy approached Will Smith and Chris Rock, saying "Chris, we want you to make a joke at Jada Pinkett Smith's appearance and we want Will to walk onto the stage, smack you round the face, and then yell at you. Will will have to apologise during the ceremony and then again on social media."

I can't see that Will Smith gains anything from this. Chris Rock possibly has a bit of material, but knows he should be wary about making jokes about people's wives again. If both men don't want to do it, what could the Academy possibly offer them to make it an attractive proposal?
Old 29th March 2022, 09:10 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
If it was a stunt, why do it when the show is almost over and there's only a few awards to give out?

Also, say the Academy approached Will Smith and Chris Rock, saying "Chris, we want you to make a joke at Jada Pinkett Smith's appearance and we want Will to walk onto the stage, smack you round the face, and then yell at you. Will will have to apologise during the ceremony and then again on social media."

I can't see that Will Smith gains anything from this. Chris Rock possibly has a bit of material, but knows he should be wary about making jokes about people's wives again. If both men don't want to do it, what could the Academy possibly offer them to make it an attractive proposal?
Attractive proposition you say? Well one of them could be guaranteed a shiny gold statue whilst the other paid a handsome bonus on top of their pay check for hosting.
Old 29th March 2022, 09:48 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

This has become boring really quickly. However i'll close with this pic of two very angry looking men who have just had a punch up on stage.

Old 29th March 2022, 10:14 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Attractive proposition you say? Well one of them could be guaranteed a shiny gold statue whilst the other paid a handsome bonus on top of their pay check for hosting.
Do you think the Oscars are fixed? Will Smith won a BAFTA, Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild, and Critics' Choice award for his portrayal of Richard Williams. He was the betting favourite because it was clear the industry had recognised he gave the best performance by an actor in a leading role.

People are now saying he should be stripped of his Oscar, which is ludicrous considering nothing like that was done to Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey.

Like this? Share it using the links below!