Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Upcoming UK Blu-ray Releases (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/1782-upcoming-uk-blu-ray-releases.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th August 2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 359990)
It is indeed. How's this for shit?....

"When high school student Charlie attends a study abroad program with his horror obsessed friend "Evil" Ed and ex-girlfriend Amy in Romania, he soon discovers their young attractive professor Gerri Dandridge (Jaime Murray) is a real life vampire. Too bad no one believes him. In fact, Evil Ed finds it amusing and it only feeds his vampire obsession. When Gerri turns Ed, Charlie seeks out Peter Vincent, the infamous vampire hunter (well, he plays one on TV) who is in Romania filming his show "Fright Night," to teach him how to take down Gerri before she gets to Amy, who's blood will cure Gerri of spending eternity as a vampire."

That sounds very crap and utterly pointless.

napalm-in-the-morning 20th August 2013 10:32 AM

Sawney flesh of man £7.99 on blu ray. Got to be a bargain!

oaxaca 22nd August 2013 08:32 AM

Final Cuts releases of BRIDES OF DRACULA and EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN were shipped today from Sainsburys. Still can't find any reviews online though. Fingers crossed the transfers will be up to scratch!!

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th August 2013 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Entertainment Store exclusive FORBIDDEN PLANET steelbook. £14.99

Forbidden Planet

Attachment 119150

trebor8273 30th August 2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 362373)
Entertainment Store exclusive FORBIDDEN PLANET steelbook. £14.99

Forbidden Planet

Attachment 119150

October is going to be a very expensive month.

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th August 2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 362400)
October is going to be a very expensive month.

Just mentioned this on Facebook. I have no idea why everything seems to be getting announced for October.

trebor8273 31st August 2013 07:05 PM

another limited edition steelbook up for preorder at zavvi.

Zatoichi - Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray | Zavvi.com

Wes 5th September 2013 07:17 AM

I'm really looking forward to this, after the BFI's excellent The Great White Silence. And on the strength of the trailer it sounds like another great score by Simon Fisher Turner. Due out in January...

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7881/98j1.jpg

The Epic of Everest (1924) - Trailer - YouTube

oaxaca 5th September 2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 363638)
I'm really looking forward to this, after the BFI's excellent The Great White Silence. And on the strength of the trailer it sounds like another great score by Simon Fisher Turner. Due out in January...

Great shout! I can't wait for this either, its amazing to get a look back in time at some of these incredibly remote locations and the pioneers who were breaking new ground. Also, the BFI know how to restore classics like this; GREAT WHITE SILENCE won awards for its restoration and soundtrack. This will no doubt be an early contender for 2014's release of the year :D

Edit: Just thought, a great accompaniment to this release would be a nice new restoration of Hammer's THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN. You know it makes sense :p

Mojo 6th September 2013 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More Hammer in October:

Attachment 119540

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th September 2013 06:20 PM

Upcoming UK Blu-ray Releases

1 Attachment(s)
From Second Sights FB page...

STREETS OF FIRE update. Blu-ray released on 18th November (Region B) and will feature:

DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM Stereo

RUMBLE ON THE LOT: WALTER HILL'S STREETS OF FIRE REVISITED
A brand new 80 minute documentary featuring new interviews with Walter Hill, Michael Paré, Amy Madigan and James Allen produced for us by Fiction Factory.

ORIGINAL ELECTRONIC PRESS KIT
Featuring 'Rock and Roll Fable', 'Exaggerated Realism', 'Choreographing the Crowd', 'Creating the Costumes', 'From the Ground Up', 'Personality Profile', Featurette, Teaser Trailer and On-Air Promos

MUSIC VIDEOS
'Tonight Is What it Means To Be Young'
'I can dream about you'

Attachment 119618

J Harker 6th September 2013 07:31 PM

Is Mr Wilson somewhat excited?

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th September 2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 364082)
Is Mr Wilson somewhat excited?

My response on Facebook, of "I just did a sex wee", should indicate my excitement. :D

J Harker 6th September 2013 07:50 PM

Haha. Didn't spot that one. The facebook post did inspire me to dig my dvd out and give it a quick peruse of some of my favourite bits. Can't wait to see it in HD, it's such a good looking film visually. And I love the music.

Invid Ninja 6th September 2013 08:31 PM

Along with Southern Comfort, Streets Of Fire is arguably my favourite Walter Hill film; one of my most anticipated Blus this year. :D

J Harker 6th September 2013 09:43 PM

I've still not seen Southern Comfort. Have to pick that up.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th September 2013 07:55 AM

So many great titles being released on Nov 18th... Amazon are going to need to deliver using a packing crate at this rate! :eek:

sjconstable 17th September 2013 05:48 PM

Is anyone else over the Moon about the upcoming Halloween Blu-ray? Now THAT'S the film that scared me to death as a child, not the sunny and colourful version on the original Blu-ray.

Halloween Blu-ray: 35th Anniversary Edition

Wes 17th September 2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 366597)
Is anyone else over the Moon about the upcoming Halloween Blu-ray? Now THAT'S the film that scared me to death as a child, not the sunny and colourful version on the original Blu-ray.

From Blu-Ray.com, linked above

Overall, this is a significant upgrade from the previous release. Not only do the colors enjoy a cooler, more natural tone, but the image is significantly more crisp and well defined. Fans should be ecstatic with this presentation.

Jesus wept... the thought of having to buy this film again !!

Rik 17th September 2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 366601)

Jesus wept... the thought of having to buy this film again !!

Yeah, considering I don't think there's **** all wrong with the other release (still got it pre-ordered though :lol:)

Wes 17th September 2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 366602)
Yeah, considering I don't think there's **** all wrong with the other release (still got it pre-ordered though :lol:)

Yeah, me too. I didn't want to say it for fear of board sending me to Specsavers but I thought the UK Blu was really quite fine. I'm disappointed that none of the trims and outakes that Don May discovered a few years ago were not included...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th September 2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

You can never have too many copies of your favourite films!

sjconstable 17th September 2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Have you not compared the screenshots in that link? Screenshots from the old Blu-ray are at the bottom, since when was Halloween a nice sunny film?

Rik 17th September 2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 366622)
Have you not compared the screenshots in that link? Screenshots from the old Blu-ray are at the bottom, since when was Halloween a nice sunny film?

Yeah, I don't remember mine looking so bright, will have to give it a spin and compare with the old DVD, I haven't watched it since last Halloween

Wes 17th September 2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 366622)

I thought it looked sunny because Carpenter shot the film in California in the summertime. Nope, I'm not disagreeing, the new edition will surely be an improvement. By the way, I love that cut early in the film when the girls are driving around in the late evening sunshine and the next shot is night time dark. I love that...

Andra Jai 17th September 2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

I was going to get this and had it pre-ordered but decided to cancel.

With the exception of dawn of the dead, there is a limit to how many times I can buy the same film over again and I don't personally see anything wrong with the earlier blu-ray.

In addition to that, there are so many other titles coming out around now that "double dipping" comes across as a lot less appealing these days.

sjconstable 17th September 2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 366627)
I was going to get this and had it pre-ordered but decided to cancel.

With the exception of dawn of the dead, there is a limit to how many times I can buy the same film over again and I don't personally see anything wrong with the earlier blu-ray.

In addition to that, there are so many other titles coming out around now that "double dipping" comes across as a lot less appealing these days.

For me it was a no-brainer as I've never been happy with the current Blu-ray, the boosted colours looked artificial, robbed the film of its atmosphere, and didn't tally with how I remembered the film looking from childhood. This new one on the other hand is EXACTLY what I wanted, and will increase my enjoyment of the film tenfold. Plus it comes with a new audio commentary with Carpenter and Curtis and other stuff, and the steelbook looks well cool. So yeah, very excited for this, I sold my other Halloween Blu-ray to CeX a few weeks ago in anticipation :rockon:

Dean Cundey has now fixed The Fog and Halloween, so how about The Thing next pleeeease?

Wes 17th September 2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 366630)
Dean Cundey has now fixed The Fog and Halloween, so how about The Thing next pleeeease?

Jeez, I thought The Thing looked fantastic ! Damn !

Rik 17th September 2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 366630)

What's wrong with The Thing?

Wes 17th September 2013 07:28 PM

I think Escape from New York might need another pass...

sjconstable 17th September 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 366634)
What's wrong with The Thing?

Filtered and too colourful, lacking atmosphere.

sjconstable 17th September 2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 366635)
I think Escape from New York might need another pass...

Yes, it does, although I have the US one which is better than the Optimum.

The US Blu-ray of Big Trouble in Little China is fine by the way, that one doesn't need an upgrade, if I'm giving people the impression I just pick at anything. I don't, I pick at things that are clearly wrong.

Rik 17th September 2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 366639)
The US Blu-ray of Big Trouble in Little China is fine by the way, that one doesn't need an upgrade, if I'm giving people the impression I just pick at anything. I don't, I pick at things that are clearly wrong.

Thank God for that, I was thinking all my Carpenter BD's needed binning :lol:

It does have shite artwork though :nod:

Wes 17th September 2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 366638)
Filtered and too colourful, lacking atmosphere.

I'm shocked ! I thought it looked amazing, and faithfully drab to the original art direction. Admittedly it was one of the first Blus I saw but I was really pleased with it (and I was a Blu sceptic back in the day)

zane 17th September 2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 366651)
I'm shocked ! I thought it looked amazing, and faithfully drab to the original art direction. Admittedly it was one of the first Blus I saw but I was really pleased with it (and I was a Blu sceptic back in the day)

This should give you an impression. It's only moderately filtered though in my opinion and still looks good. Baffles me though why didn't just take the HD DVD transfer and left it like it was.

The Thing | Blu-ray: DE vs. HD DVD: US

Jinx_Barkman 17th September 2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

I own a 35mm print of Halloween and I can tell you right now that the colors on this are wrong. The older blu ray release is not correct either. Shame because the new transfer is very good, they just went a little too far with the de-saturation.

Wes 18th September 2013 09:22 AM

Well, I've slept on this and I've decided to give this new edition a skip - I'm happy enough with my old sunny Blu and I neither have the money nor the conscience to buy Halloween for the 3rd time. I'm gonna wait for the inevitable 40th Anniversary multi-disc edition in 2018, with the film, TV version, Workprint, extra blah, blah, blah...

fuzzymctiger 18th September 2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman (Post 366696)
I own a 35mm print of Halloween and I can tell you right now that the colors on this are wrong. The older blu ray release is not correct either. Shame because the new transfer is very good, they just went a little too far with the de-saturation.

Own a 35mm print? That's impressive.

Do you have many 35mm films?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th September 2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

I own a 35mm print of Halloween

We're not Worthy!!!! - YouTube

sjconstable 18th September 2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

When's it from? If it's from the '70s, its colours will have changed over time, and if it's new then it will have had to have been colour-timed like any Blu-ray, no? Not all prints look the same!