All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Quite possibly, but surely MGM provided the transfer?
Probably but I don't think Second Sight have a deal with them. Not that it matters - I'm just happy we're getting good BD's of these things!

Quote:
As for the remarks that we may wish we'd bought the TT titles, I beg to differ. As production costs of BDs comes down it will make t easier and more financially viable for companies to take a chance on niche titles. I don't doubt these films will surface on BD in other territories at some point. I just think that those who bought the TT titles secretly hope that they don't get released in other territories so that their copies retain their value and rarity.
Agreed! I'm in no rush to buy these Twilight Time releases because I know they'll resurface eventually. A bit foolish to think they wont.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 3rd September 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 3rd September 2012, 04:54 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Quite possibly, but surely MGM provided the transfer?

As for the remarks that we may wish we'd bought the TT titles, I beg to differ. As production costs of BDs comes down it will make t easier and more financially viable for companies to take a chance on niche titles. I don't doubt these films will surface on BD in other territories at some point. I just think that those who bought the TT titles secretly hope that they don't get released in other territories so that their copies retain their value and rarity.
I don't care if my TT discs retain their value. If I did, I would've already sold Fright Night for silly money
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I don't care if my TT discs retain their value. If I did, I would've already sold Fright Night for silly money
Oh I know that doesn't apply to you. I was thinking more along the lines of people on other forums who bought multiple copies and are hanging on to them to maximise their profits.

What annoys me is that Sony are advocating this limited edition nonsense. This is the same company that fought hard to win the format war and wanted Blu-ray to be the next big thing. Now they won't even release their own titles on Blu? What's that about then? They wanted us all to adopt Blu-ray over HD DVD and then they don't even support the format themselves, choosing instead to license out their catalogue titles for limited runs? That's hardly supporting the format they virtually invented, is it? It's not exactly helping them build a library of BD titles to attract custom.
robertzombie likes this.
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sony as a whole aren't doing particularly great at the moment by all accounts. They're struggling in almost every division against competition so I dare say their focus has changed in the past 6 years. The licensing makes money for little effort so I can see why it's a good move for them.

Personally, while I don't enjoy the TT model, I would rather they license titles out and films get released than sit around forever. I also prefer it to the on-demand programmes as well. Companies like Olive are probably taking some big risks with titles they're releasing on BD but I can't see Paramount releasing them honestly.

It's also not just TT who are doing the limited route. Eureka's Universal licenses are limited, although noone knows to what quantity but we've had some cracking films emerge from that.

I think the licensing model is the way forward for BD as it'll probably be the last physical home video format so studios will probably be reluctant to sell off their catalogues for long periods to retain rights for downloading.
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I disagree that BD will be the last physical format. Already I notice people getting fed up with the whole digital thing - things like vinyl records are starting to sell again. I think things will go full cycle and we'll see a re-emergence of physical formats. What I do think is that the next format might move away from disc-based optical formats to something completely different altogether.
Old 3rd September 2012, 02:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I disagree that BD will be the last physical format. Already I notice people getting fed up with the whole digital thing - things like vinyl records are starting to sell again. I think things will go full cycle and we'll see a re-emergence of physical formats. What I do think is that the next format might move away from disc-based optical formats to something completely different altogether.
I for one predict a slotted, floppy disk like format for the future.
Like those little cartradges DS game's use (I forget what there called).

DVD and BD collection
Old 3rd September 2012, 02:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I for one predict a slotted, floppy disk like format for the future.
Like those little cartradges DS game's use (I forget what there called).
I don't, for the simple reason that it would require an investment of millions from replicators for new machinery and systems into a market that wouldn't reap the rewards.
Old 3rd September 2012, 05:17 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Oooooo seems there's a rumour going around that Twilight Time are releasing Christine on BD next year. Come on people, you know you want it!
Old 3rd September 2012, 05:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Oooooo seems there's a rumour going around that Twilight Time are releasing Christine on BD next year. Come on people, you know you want it!
It's true and here's the artwork!
brum-toys-big-town-5423-2206_medium.jpg
Daemonia and sawyer6 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd September 2012, 05:29 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
It's true and here's the artwork!
Attachment 78221
Sold!

Like this? Share it using the links below!