Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

iank 20th May 2017 08:01 AM

I did say '"that I've sat through", rather than turned off or just not seen. ;)

J Harker 20th May 2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 534453)
I did say '"that I've sat through", rather than turned off or just not seen. ;)

I really enjoyed it although i havent seen it since the cinema. I've watched Alien a few times and always find it a slog.

J Harker 20th May 2017 08:22 AM

Odd isn't it, does anyone else find they've watched some films they're not that keen on quite a few times but stuff they like only the once or twice.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 534457)
Odd isn't it, does anyone else find they've watched some films they're not that keen on quite a few times but stuff they like only the once or twice.

Yes The Witch for example. I loved it so much on first viewing i'd hate for any subsequent sittings to diminish that power.

Demoncrat 20th May 2017 01:39 PM

Can only interject here and say that The VVitch does bear repeating.
I find that if I really dislike something to begin with, I will probably end up loving it after watching it again.
We all have our comfort zones. The tension between that and a film maker's intentions is where the art is imho.

The Mad Magician (1954, John Brahm)
Vincent Price is Gallico The Great. Well in his mind anyhow....
Superb wee thriller centred round a well worn plot device. VP looks like a wounded puppy in one scene..prompting me to go "AWWW" and to side with him immediately. Whilst the ending is incredibly pat, I still recommend this highly. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 534467)
Can only interject here and say that The VVitch does bear repeating.
I find that if I really dislike something to begin with, I will probably end up loving it after watching it again.
We all have our comfort zones. The tension between that and a film maker's intentions is where the art is imho.

Quote:

I see filmmaking as a business and pity anyone who regards it as an art form
Herschell Gordon Lewis.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th May 2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 534464)
Yes The Witch for example. I loved it so much on first viewing i'd hate for any subsequent sittings to diminish that power.

I've yet to revisit The VVitch, and whilst I don't worry too much about its effect being diminished on repeat viewings, there are plenty of 'favourite' films that I've only seen once due to the worry that they won't hold out as well on a re-watch.

Demoncrat 20th May 2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 534471)
Herschell Gordon Lewis.

Wow. Okay. You try and help a fellow dem ......:confused:
Fair enough sir. Il keep my mouth shut in future.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 534474)
Wow. Okay. You try and help a fellow dem ......:confused:
Fair enough sir. Il keep my mouth shut in future.

Ha'ha! That quote was the only thing of note i took from the abysmal Smash Cut.

You gave me the first chance to use it. Sorry. :)

Demoncrat 20th May 2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 534475)
Ha'ha! That quote was the only thing of note i took from the abysmal Smash Cut.

You gave me the first chance to use it. Sorry. :)

:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2017 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Easy Riders Raging Bulls (2003)

William H Macy narrated documentary which charts the highs and lows of the late 60's / 70's film makers working outside of the Hollywood studio system culminating in one of the most searing and phenomenal periods in film history.

Interviewees include Dennis Hopper, John Milius, Peter Fonda, Karen Black, Peter Bogdanovich, Cybill Shepherd, Paul Schrader and more.

Rather than saying how much i liked this documentary based on Peter Biskind's book i'll just say how much it made me want to watch the films discussed such as Easy Rider (one of my top 10 all time films), Midnight Cowboy, Taxi Driver, The Wild Bunch, Jaws.

Whilst much of it was extremely cool for want of a better word, there was one heart breaking moment of archive footage as Roman Polanski faced the camera's following the murder of Sharon Tate, also when interviewed about the same thing you could see the anger in Peter Fonda's eyes.

Riveting viewing.

Demoncrat 20th May 2017 02:34 PM

Five To One (1963, Gordon Flemyng)
Another of the Edgar Wallace set. Featuring John Thaw, Lee Montague, Julian Holloway and Edina Ronay, I can't imagine why this film isn't better known, decent wee programmer. PLUG!! Recommended!!!:pop2:

zeroid 20th May 2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 534481)
Easy Riders Raging Bulls (2003)

I think I have this on my Easy Rider Special Edition DVD, will have to revisit as I never watched it. I have read the book and loved all the tales of excess and personality clashes etc, is there anything in the film that's not in the book, if you can remember.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroid (Post 534498)
I think I have this on my Easy Rider Special Edition DVD, will have to revisit as I never watched it. I have read the book and loved all the tales of excess and personality clashes etc, is there anything in the film that's not in the book, if you can remember.

If you have the yellow special edition with art cards and BFI Modern Classic book then you will, otherwise it's the 65 min doc that accompanies the film on all releases. That's a quality docu as well i might add.

zeroid 20th May 2017 08:38 PM

I've just checked DVD Profiler and that (Yellow cover) looks to be the one I've got, nice one!(I put all my cases in boxes in the loft and then the discs in wallets so I need DVDProfiler to keep track of what I got...)

Demoncrat 20th May 2017 09:13 PM

Return To Sender (1963, Gordon Hales)

Another Merton Park Wallace-r. Another great cast (William Russell!! Yvonne Romain! Nigel Davenport....) gives their all, even if Chesterton is a bit bland here ahem. Worship of Mammon is at the heart of this tale, and as always there's a squabble at the end about whom shall pay the bill......;)
I digress. Blackmail b feature from workmanlike studio. Recommended.

House Of Mystery (1961, Vernon Sewell)

Independent Artists film from genre stalwart Sewell, tis an effective if formulaic wee chiller about the history of Orchid Cottage. Ably played by all, this does sort of sputter towards the end, due to the structure I felt....Recommended nonetheless!!

Make Them Die Slowly 20th May 2017 09:45 PM

The Void

Fun mash up of Carpenter, Fulci and other 80s favourites. Certainly worth seeing but certainly not worth the hype.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2017 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
La La Land (2016)

After 20 minutes and a big critically acclaimed dance number on an LA freeway bridge i could quite easily have turned this much hyped film off.

However it seems the film makers felt as i did that the big song and dance numbers sucked and couldn't compete with the Hollywood musicals of yesteryear so completely changed tack the moment Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling meet and give us a great big Jazz influenced masterpiece.

Brilliantly photographed and gorgeously lit, i make no apologies when i say it made me want to go back to Los Angeles. LA LA Land clawed it's way out of an amateurish abyss to become a bright smiley time waster. I liked it!

Justin101 20th May 2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 534522)
La La Land (2016)

After 20 minutes and a big critically acclaimed dance number on an LA freeway bridge i could quite easily have turned this much hyped film off.

However it seems the film makers felt as i did that the big song and dance numbers sucked and couldn't compete with the Hollywood musicals of yesteryear so completely changed tack the moment Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling meet and give us a great big Jazz influenced masterpiece.

Brilliantly photographed and gorgeously lit, i make no apologies when i say it made me want to go back to Los Angeles. LA LA Land clawed it's way out of an amateurish abyss to become a bright smiley time waster. I liked it!

I liked it too but I can't help but think that the hype wasn't quite warranted. It has some excellent scenes though, such as the one they used for the poster/dvd cover and the audition.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 534524)
I liked it too but I can't help but think that the hype wasn't quite warranted. It has some excellent scenes though, such as the one they used for the poster/dvd cover and the audition.

That audition number made me think of the recent horror Starry Eyes.

Next time i watch LA LA Land i think i'll do it back to back with The Neon Demon as they are essentially the same film. :lol:

I'm pleased i bought it and am happy for it to be in my collection.

gag 21st May 2017 11:41 AM

Just thought I post this for fun ..

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2017 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

An enjoyable action packed entry in JJ Abrams rebooted Star Trek movie franchise.

Benedict Cumberbatch makes for an excellent Khan and Pine, Quinto and co make for a likable Enterprise crew. But as with the first film, 2009's Star Trek, a few moments aside, it feels a long way from Gene Roddenberry's original vision as yet again it's crashes it's way, rather than boldly going, into sci-fi action movie territory.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this film as far as adventure, thrills and spectacle goes, but is it Star Trek? I'm not so sure.

Nordicdusk 21st May 2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 534519)
The Void

Fun mash up of Carpenter, Fulci and other 80s favourites. Certainly worth seeing but certainly not worth the hype.

I agree its passable but no where near as amazing as people would have you believe.

LaughingWindows 21st May 2017 02:09 PM

Blood Father(2016) Been there, done that seen it all before ex-convict (Looking a lil longer in the teeth nearing a Grizzly Adams type of look lol Mel Gibson) gets saddled with protecting his estranged daughter(Gotta love those estranged daughters popping back in your life when the going gets tough. She is played by Erin Moriarty who is really good here. Sexy to boot) and on the run from her drug-dealing boyfriend (Diego Luna, who she try to kill) and his vicious cartel. The story has been done before a great many a time. Quite predictable at times. But whether you like, hate it, or indifferent to this movie comes down to the two central performances I really thought they were excellent and convincing by the end as a father and daughter. The late Michael Parks is really good here too. William H. Macy was wasted here and the role didn't even seem all that necessary. Had some decent action and funny scenes that elevate this a bit too. 7.5/10

Buboven 21st May 2017 02:33 PM

Finally watched The Lives of Others (2012) having been on my watchlist for a good while.

Absolutely amazing, absolute film-making perfection

10/10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2017 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Creeps (1997)

Full Moon head honcho Charles Band must have a thing for small protagonists as The Creeps, like so many of his companies films - Subspecies, Demonic Toys, and all their sequels etc etc are full of em'.

In The Creeps we get a group of classic Universal monsters - think Dracula, The Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster and The Mummy - brought back to life by a mad, well something. He's not exactly a scientist. The only problem is these Universal miscreants are half size, which they ain't impressed by, so they go about capturing victims, namely naked virgins, in order to experiment again to grow themselves to their rightful sizes.

If it all sounds quite mad, it is. In a way it's typical Full Moon madness. It's not in the least bit scary, nor bloody, naturally there's a decent dose of female nudity as these miniature monsters clamber over their virginal captives, yet it's not overly exploitative and comes across as a light hearted romp more than anything.

Whether my words make you want to watch this film or not i don't know. However i enjoyed it and it was the perfect late night / early morning antidote to the LA LA Lands and Star Trek Into Darknesses of this world.

MrBarlow 21st May 2017 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After Effect 2013

A group of students sign up for a voluntary experiment to aid a new medication that deals with anxiety and are being paid $1000. What seems to be good for the group turns into a nightmare.

I never saw a trailer for this movie I picked it up at HMV it looked cheesy. The film is low budget but I really enjoyed it. Only star in this movie I know is, Daniel Baldwin. It is worth a watch but don't go O.T.T to pay loads for it.

trebor8273 21st May 2017 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

While still not up their with the first two for me I enjoyed more than all that followed. A lot more alien this time than Prometheus, has great practical effects gore scenes it also answers two important questions what happened to the engineers and more important were did the xenomorphs come from this makes the alien vs predator films not part of the cannon, but don't know if they ever were. The one big downside was most of the crew weren't the brightest people and you didn't feel or really get to know them like the crew of the nostromo. Happy to see how the other movies planed will lead into alien. 7.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEVY_lonKf4

A classic, but I can understand how some can see it as overrated as not a lot happens till near the end, but I find that time is spent build up the tension and let's us get to know the crew and care for them. My favorite film of the franchise is either between this or the more gun ho aliens which usual depends on my mood. 9.4/10

Now watching

Cinematic Shocks 21st May 2017 08:54 PM

The Terminator (1984)

IS and probably always will be the best of the franchise. This and Aliens are James Cameron’s best work, and I don’t think he’s ever made a film as good since.

****1/2 out of *****

J Harker 21st May 2017 09:19 PM

Went to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 last night. While i really enjoyed it i can see why some have said its not as good as the first. The film suffers a little from over-indulgence, the sort of thing that ruined Sam Raimis Spiderman 3. While not as damaging as Raimis unleashing had on that film GotGVol2 just feels a bit loose and sloppy, like an old sluts fudgepipe. The script frequently descends into almost surreal levels of comedy, for me it actually worked but if you didnt like the first one i can see you hating this one. The plot also feels far less clean than the admittedly flimsy story of the original. A big theme seems to be redemption and to be fair i felt it worked. Plus seeing Henry from Portrait of a Serial Killer painted blue and shouting "I'm Mary Poppins bitches!!!" Is priceless. Big downside, one of my favourite actors ever, Kurt Russel is absolutely awful as Ego the living wanker. If you like the first or Marvel on the whole then buckle up you'll have a fairly good time. Otherwise I'd suggest giving it a miss.

gag 21st May 2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 534593)
The Terminator (1984)

IS and probably always will be the best of the franchise. This and Aliens are James Cameron’s best work, and I don’t think he’s ever made a film as good since.

****1/2 out of *****

Great film. I just watched documentary Dark web 6 episodes or so .
And films like this and other futuristic films are closer to real life now than some people think.
In episode 2 a bloke has lost his eye and is prepared to get a camera put in its place .
And people are experimenting in getting themselves chipped where they can use the chip for alsort of things electronically, eg pay for things with , its only as small as a grain of rice in their hand.
Also I don't know how far they are with this, but they was working on glasses you can connect to the internet and send messages take pictures etc .

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 534598)
Great film. I just watched documentary Dark web 6 episodes or so .
And films like this and other futuristic films are closer to real life now than some people think.
In episode 2 a bloke has lost his eye and is prepared to get a camera put in its place .
And people are experimenting in getting themselves chipped where they can use the chip for alsort of things electronically, eg pay for things with , its only as small as a grain of rice in their hand.
Also I don't know how far they are with this, but they was working on glasses you can connect to the internet and send messages take pictures etc .

Wonder if they've perfected AI yet? ;)

Make Them Die Slowly 21st May 2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 534559)
I agree its passable but no where near as amazing as people would have you believe.

It's no Dem's cock.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 534603)
It's no Dem's cock.

:pound:

trebor8273 21st May 2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 534597)
Went to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 last night. While i really enjoyed it i can see why some have said its not as good as the first. The film suffers a little from over-indulgence, the sort of thing that ruined Sam Raimis Spiderman 3. While not as damaging as Raimis unleashing had on that film GotGVol2 just feels a bit loose and sloppy, like an old sluts fudgepipe. The script frequently descends into almost surreal levels of comedy, for me it actually worked but if you didnt like the first one i can see you hating this one. The plot also feels far less clean than the admittedly flimsy story of the original. A big theme seems to be redemption and to be fair i felt it worked. Plus seeing Henry from Portrait of a Serial Killer painted blue and shouting "I'm Mary Poppins bitches!!!" Is priceless. Big downside, one of my favourite actors ever, Kurt Russel is absolutely awful as Ego the living wanker. If you like the first or Marvel on the whole then buckle up you'll have a fairly good time. Otherwise I'd suggest giving it a miss.

I'm probably going to see it again tomorrow, as I really liked it and would rather see it than the king Arthur and the legend of the wank which my mate wants to see. I do think that was the whole point of Ego, which makes Youdu line "he might be your father boy,but he wasn't your Daddy, all the more meaningful. Yep the Mary Poppins line was fantastic, I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! I nearly choked on my drink.

J Harker 21st May 2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 534608)
I'm probably going to see it again tomorrow, as I really liked it and would rather see it than the king Arthur and the legend of the wank which my mate wants to see. I do think that was the whole point of Ego, which makes Youdu line "he might be your father boy,but he wasn't your Daddy, all the more meaningful. Yep the Mary Poppins line was fantastic, I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! I nearly choked on my drink.

I personally loved it in spite of Kurt Russels shit performance. But unlike the first I'm much more aware of its flaws.

trebor8273 21st May 2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 534610)
I personally loved it in spite of Kurt Russels shit performance. But unlike the first I'm much more aware of its flaws.

Did feel a bit like he phoned his performance in.

J Harker 21st May 2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 534613)
Did feel a bit like he phoned his performance in.

Something felt very off. I think it was just a bit too jarring seeing him surrounded by so much cgi. Made everything else look so damn fake.

trebor8273 21st May 2017 10:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdAh1qDmJng

An enjoyable piece of Cronenburg about "scanners" people with mind powers. As soon as the movie starts you can see its a cronenburg film from how its shot and scored, for me its not quite as good as the likes of rabid and shivers which is largely thanks to the actor playing the lead who is a bit boring and bland, but he is made up for by the always fantastic Michael Ironside. 7/10

Now watching gamera the giant monster.

MrBarlow 22nd May 2017 01:25 AM

Don't knock twice 2017

Jess is trying to reconnect with her estranged daughter, chloe. But Chloe is a bit of a rebel. One night Chloe and her friend decide to check out a old urban legend by knocking on a door of a abandoned house allegedly owned by a witch.

This film has a made up urban legend like Dead Silence.
Shot entirely in and around Cardiff this is one heck of a good horror movie it does have a few jump scenes and blink and miss it. If you like ghost stories and watch them in the dark this is one to add. 8.5 out of 10.