Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th July 2009 05:49 AM

One of the best discs ever released Bio.The 'Nightmare' doc is also fantastic.:coolblue:

Make Them Die Slowly 19th July 2009 07:04 AM

Just watched "Aenigma",it is gastropodtastic.:pound:

BioZombie 19th July 2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72
The 'Nightmare' doc is also fantastic.

Cool I will have to try and watch it tonight after work.

vincenzo 19th July 2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 34578)
Has anyone watched the American Nightmare doc? Looks interesting and is feature length which is cool, worth looking at?

It's very slightly cut alas (Last House On The Left footage) but it doesn't ruin your enjoyment. It's an excellent documentary and well worth viewing.

mark meakin 19th July 2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 34607)
It's very slightly cut alas (Last House On The Left footage) but it doesn't ruin your enjoyment. It's an excellent documentary and well worth viewing.

You can add my recommendation too regarding this fine documentary.Finally got around to watching NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD (Optimum) last night which is also very good.

Make Them Die Slowly 19th July 2009 06:53 PM

Just finished watching "Horror Express".It's the first time I've seen it since childhood.Wow,what an amazing film.Chris Lee even gets the girl,now that's something you don't see every day.

Daemonia 19th July 2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 34083)
Just ordered Troll 1 & 2 and Something Weird's double feature of The Hooked Generation and The Psychodelic Priest. Hopefully they're as fun as they sound!

All good choices there, mate. Although many would beg to differ - but having good taste is not something I've ever been accused of. :)

vincenzo 19th July 2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 34653)
Just finished watching "Horror Express".It's the first time I've seen it since childhood.Wow,what an amazing film.

"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're BRITISH, you know!"

Terrific film. :cool:

Pete 19th July 2009 10:30 PM

Thats the best line i have ever heard in a horror film.

HE is an excellent film well worth the £3 i paid for it.

Make Them Die Slowly 20th July 2009 09:06 AM

"Bloodlust!" a 1963 rip off of "The Most Dangerous Game".Nowhere near as good as MDG but contains a fair bit of gore for the time:an acid bath face melt;people handling flayed skin and a nice blood squirting spikes through the wrists final scene.Oh and Robert Reed from "The Brady Bunch" is in it too!

gag 20th July 2009 10:42 AM

I thought id dig out some old films got on copies that not seen b4 or ages
Watched marting last night by george a romero what a complete pile
of crap...

Make Them Die Slowly 20th July 2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 34708)
I thought id dig out some old films got on copies that not seen b4 or ages
Watched marting last night by george a romero what a complete pile
of crap...

I'll have to disagree with you there Gag,"Martin" outclasses all of Romero's zombie stuff and is easily his best film by a long zombie shuffle.Of course that's just my opinion.

mark meakin 20th July 2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 34675)
Thats the best line i have ever heard in a horror film.

HE is an excellent film well worth the £3 i paid for it.

Cushing uses a similar line in the corny but endearing AT THE EARTH'S CORE when one of the Mahars is about to hypnotize him.:)

mark meakin 20th July 2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 34730)
I'll have to disagree with you there Gag,"Martin" outclasses all of Romero's zombie stuff and is easily his best film by a long zombie shuffle.Of course that's just my opinion.

Prefer Romero's gutmunchers but I've always liked MARTIN a great deal too.

Make Them Die Slowly 20th July 2009 08:36 PM

"The Phantom of Soho",a seedy little krimi about a sparkly gloved killer laying waste to regulars at a Soho strip club.Unashamedly sleazy in places, I rather enjoyed it.Great soundtrack too.

Mojo 20th July 2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 34803)
"The Phantom of Soho",a seedy little krimi about a sparkly gloved killer laying waste to regulars at a Soho strip club.Unashamedly sleazy in places, I rather enjoyed it.Great soundtrack too.

Saw this one recently too and really enjoyed it. Been watching quite a few Edgar Wallace films on dvd in the last few months - recommended!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th July 2009 09:28 PM

Had a Chuckathon yesterday.
DELTA FORCE
MISSING IN ACTION 2
MISSING IN ACTION:woot:

spooks 21st July 2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 34812)
Had a Chuckathon yesterday.
DELTA FORCE
MISSING IN ACTION 2
MISSING IN ACTION:woot:

Very nice! :thumb: Just starting to have regular Chuck Norris film nights myself with some mates. Missing in action is next up!

Tonight I watched Frankenhooker, which is hilarious fun, my fav henenlotter film along with basket case and brain damage. Love the scene with the hookers smoking the 'supercrack'. And I also watched The Trip (appropriate smiley time!) :hippie:, which I found a bit boring, but kinda interesting for what it is.

Angel 21st July 2009 06:30 AM

The Children

Another great Brit horror flick. Very restrained in terms of violence but the story and acting make for an extremely scary experience. :behindsofa:

mark meakin 21st July 2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 34831)
The Children

Another great Brit horror flick. Very restrained in terms of violence but the story and acting make for an extremely scary experience. :behindsofa:

Along with Eden Lake,I agree it's another cracking british horror.

gag 21st July 2009 10:59 AM

Yes thought the children was quite good
Just got round to watching martyrs cracking film any dea how much has been cut from british release. and could some1 tell me a decent site that gives good info on films and how much it cut etc.. all i got it the melon farmers ....thanks

spooks 21st July 2009 11:01 AM

martyrs is uncut.

Pete 21st July 2009 11:01 AM

Martyrs is uncut over here:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...F?OpenDocument

mark meakin 21st July 2009 11:11 AM

The BBFC are pretty lenient now Gags (Look at the recent passing of Antichrist).Usually only animal cruelty & particularly unpleasant sexual violence that gives them major cause for concern now.

BioZombie 21st July 2009 07:54 PM

I just watched Axe its a strange little film. It about three guys who commit murder then hide out in a house they take over inabited by a girl called Lisa and her Grandfather. At first I didnt like it it's extremely slow and I didnt really like the soundtrack. After a while though I found myself kind of hypnotised by it and by the time Lisa started bumping off the intruders I was transfixed. Its has a nightmarish quality and managed to be quite diturbing with minimal blood and gore.

Make Them Die Slowly 21st July 2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 34938)
I just watched [/b]Axe[/b] its a strange little film. It about three guys who commit murder then hide out in a house they take over inabited by a girl called Lisa and her Grandfather. At first I didnt like it it's extremely slow and I didnt really like the soundtrack. After a while though I found myself kind of hypnotised by it and by the time Lisa started bumping off the intruders I was transfixed. Its has a nightmarish quality and managed to be quite diturbing with minimal blood and gore.

I'm a big fan of "Axe",like yourself I found myself lulled into the film."Lemora:a Child's Tale of the Supernatural" and "The Child" did the same.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st July 2009 08:04 PM

I have been watching a mixed bag of stuff over the last few days: Lenzi's fun cheese-tastic Nightmare Beach; Odd indy Brit-shlocker Penetration Angst; and tonight: the surreal Mexican wonder Mansion of Madness (from Juan 'Alucarda' Lopez Moctezuma); plus Franco's perverted masterpiece Exorcism. :coolblue:

BioZombie 21st July 2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly
I'm a big fan of "Axe",like yourself I found myself lulled into the film."Lemora:a Child's Tale of the Supernatural" and "The Child" did the same.

I'll have to try and search those out MTDS.

I think its all the elements of Axe, the minimalistic kind of jazzy score, the repative images, the juxtaposition of images, the use of the candle red blood and even the stilted dialouge seem to pull you in with its syren like alure.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st July 2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 34938)
I just watched Axe its a strange little film. It about three guys who commit murder then hide out in a house they take over inabited by a girl called Lisa and her Grandfather. At first I didnt like it it's extremely slow and I didnt really like the soundtrack. After a while though I found myself kind of hypnotised by it and by the time Lisa started bumping off the intruders I was transfixed. Its has a nightmarish quality and managed to be quite diturbing with minimal blood and gore.

I too am a fan of Axe. It surprised me on first viewing; I was expecting this gorey, grindhouse trash-fest, but instead it was nice, but strange morbid chiller.

BioZombie 21st July 2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye
I was expecting this gorey, grindhouse trash-fest

Thats exactly what I was expecting especially with the art work in the ILC "Harry Novak Presents AXE" box.

I think I may have to revisit this one soon.

Anyone watched the doc on disc 2? From the description it seems it doesnt have much to do with AXE at all

Make Them Die Slowly 21st July 2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 34944)
Thats exactly what I was expecting especially with the art work in the ILC "Harry Novak Presents AXE" box.

Anyone watched the doc on disc 2? From the description it seems it doesnt have much to do with AXE at all

It's a great doc all about Novak,with tons of clips from sexploitation films.Check out the clips from "The Toy Box" a mind boggling feast of trash.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st July 2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 34939)

Yeah, now you mention it they do lull you in. Lemora is a particularly strange, but beautifully hypnotic film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st July 2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

I have the R1 Something Weird Special Edition release, which along with the trailers also has a bonus film called 'The Electric Chair' and a couple of shorts ('Don't be Like Lisa!: Learn how to stay sane with 1952's Mental Health: Keeping Mentally Fit' & 'We Still Don't Believe It' - about sword swallowing :pound:). I'm not sure whether these are present on the UK disc(s)!

Make Them Die Slowly 21st July 2009 08:41 PM

I certainly can't recall any sword swallowing on the uk release!

vincenzo 21st July 2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

As MTDS says it's pretty sunning & sleazy stuff. The excerpts from The Toy Box are outright jaw-dropping. The ILC pack is quite a nice addition and can be found pretty cheaply now (even the 2-disc). Contents as follows....

Disc 1: Film (uncut) and original U.S trailer.
Disc 2: 40 min Harry Novak featurette (mostly film extracts) plus 25 min director's showreel (basically 10 U.S trailers including Axe again).

Pack includes 8 postcards which are repros of Something Weird video sleeves. As follows......

Axe
The Toy Box/Toys Are Not For Children
Hitch Hike To Hell/Kidnapped Coed
I Drink Your Blood/I Eat Your Skin
Kiss Me Quick/House On Bare Mountain
The Child
Mantis In Lace
A Scream In The Streets

Well worth getting.

Make Them Die Slowly 21st July 2009 09:35 PM

Sadly "The Toy Box" does not quite live up to its trailer but is most definately worth watching if you like 70s weird.

vincenzo 21st July 2009 09:41 PM

Personally I thought the trailer was the best thing about it. I enjoyed Axe though.

BioZombie 21st July 2009 10:02 PM

I will have to look at some of the bonus stuff on the second disk. Not tonight though as I will watch The Brood

I think the copy of Axe I picked up a CEX is missing some of the postcards

Gigantor 22nd July 2009 03:47 AM

Skeleton crew

TALL DUDE 22nd July 2009 07:52 AM

Watched august undergrounds mordum last night..two words..****in vile!!!:mad2: