Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

vincenzo 22nd July 2009 10:26 AM

I agree TD. It's a thoroughly repellent film with no redeeming features whatsoever. Snuff 102 is even more repulsive. :yell:

BioZombie 22nd July 2009 01:20 PM

I just finised watching The Brood, what a great ending!!! Richard Burton is great in it, he overacts just enough for the part.

Anyone know how much difference there is between the UK and US version on the anchr bay 2 disc, I watched the US.

Doesn't beat my current favourite Cronenberg though which is Scanners, but I havent seen all of his films yet.

vincenzo 22nd July 2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 35082)
I just finised watching The Brood, what a great ending!!! Richard Burton is great in it, he overacts just enough for the part.

Don't you mean Oliver Reed? Admittedly their alcohol consumption was similar. :party:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 35082)
Anyone know how much difference there is between the UK and US version on the anchr bay 2 disc, I watched the US.

It's about 30'ish secs. In the R-rated (ie UK cinema) print the 'cub licking' is reduced, as is the malleting of the old woman. The shots of the dead Susan Hogan were also shortened (pool of blood behind her head was just briefly glimpsed).

BioZombie 22nd July 2009 01:32 PM

my bad i did mean oliver reed

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd July 2009 01:35 PM

BioZombie,can I recommend these Cronenberg films if you have not seen them already.

Videodrome
Dead Ringers
Spider
Crash

hell, watch all his stuff, he's my favourite director:)

vincenzo 22nd July 2009 01:40 PM

I still love his early work. Shivers and Rabid are great fun.

BioZombie 22nd July 2009 01:48 PM

I have seen

The Fly
Scanners
Video Drome
Crash (i think but dont remember it well)
The Brood
A History of Violence

and have rabid sitting in my to watch pile

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 22nd July 2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 35087)
I still love his early work. Shivers and Rabid are great fun.

I totally agree mate. His earlier work was MUCH better than his newer stuff, IMO. I couldn't really get into Crash, but he is definetly one of the best directors. The Fly, The Brood, Shivers and Videodrome being my favs

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd July 2009 04:41 PM

"The Hearse"This is quite a good little film of the "is she going mad again or is it real"school of horror.It has some nicely drawn characters,a couple of good sub-plots and a great looking hearse.

kathyacker 22nd July 2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 34971)
Sadly "The Toy Box" does not quite live up to its trailer but is most definately worth watching if you like 70s weird.

absolutely, and even more definately if you like uschi digard :censored:

the combination of uschi and the fact its directed by the cinematographer of 'twin peaks' drew me in...

also, something weird titles seem to be half the price now on amazon marketplace that they used to be...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd July 2009 09:43 PM

Just revisted The Candy Snatchers. A great slice of '70's exploitation IMO. :coolblue:

Pete 24th July 2009 11:02 AM

Just bought a few dvds:

The Moneymoon Killers - Metrodome
Chud 2
Nightwatch
Vampires Night Orgy
Graveyard of Honour
Demonium
Fast Food Nation

BioZombie 24th July 2009 12:19 PM

Graveyard of Honour is great, gotta love Kinji Fukasaku's yakuza films. His cinematorahpy is always excellent and great soundtracks too!!!

Pete 24th July 2009 12:23 PM

It has been laying around in Cex since last year but i wasnt sure about it, but seeing as it was only £1.50 i thought what the hell.

BioZombie 24th July 2009 12:28 PM

Street Mobster is my favourite os Fukasaku's yakuza stuff I had a 3 disc set of Street Mobster, Yakuza Grave Yard, and Yakuza papers but when I moved flats and money/space became a priority it was one of the ones that went. Kind of regret selling that one now.

Kyle 25th July 2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 35136)
Just revisted The Candy Snatchers. A great slice of '70's exploitation IMO. :coolblue:

candy snatchers is a great film, i hvnt watched it in ages

i just watched 964 Pinocchio-if you ever wanted to know what taking acid is like just watch this! :twitch:

Pete 27th July 2009 12:16 PM

Some dvds arived in the post:

Doriana Grey ( Franco ) - VIP Swiss release
Female Vampire XXX Version - X Rated Kult release ( is there any need for those oversized cases? )

Kyle 27th July 2009 01:38 PM

red mist 7/10
creepshow 7/10
night warning 8/10

gag 27th July 2009 03:37 PM

Just been to Darlington for the day nvr been b4
While there come across a shop bit like cash convertors type...
Upstairs they had a section just 4 dvds and cds... i could have spent some time and money in there but sadly couldnt do much of either so had a rough look around and bought....

BRONX WARRIORS 1 .. AND 2 ....vipcos 2disc special

SPOOKIES/ A BLADE IN THE DARK ..vipco double bill

DEATH SCREAMS ...vipcos screamtime

LOST IN LAMANCHA ...terry gilliam ....optimum

MAUSOLEUM.....dark vision

BLACK CHRISTMAS ....tartan grindhouse

THEM.....

THE MEANING OF LIFE ...2 disc edition

ASSAULT ON PRECINT 13 special edition original john carpenters

EASTERN PROMISE ...David cronenberg

ELEPHANT MAN ....momentum

All for £18 :woot: :woot:

so looks like i be paying that shop a visit as often as poss

TALL DUDE 27th July 2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 35427)
red mist 7/10
creepshow 7/10
night warning 8/10

Whats your thoughts on red mist mate?
Saw this in morrisons,by the director of shrooms,which i wasnt to impressed with.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th July 2009 08:59 PM

Did a Michael Mann double yesterday with Optimum's superb anamorphic THIEF followed by THE KEEP.The visuals in this really are still great,and the monster is a fine creation.....:coolblue:

BioZombie 27th July 2009 09:06 PM

I had been putting off watching Tokyo Zombie until I had time to really enjoy it as Im a big fan of other asian zombie titles. Unfotunatly I didnt really like it, wasnt funny at all and I didnt even manage to get all the way through. I remeber some one else telling me it was really funny so I guess it just not my cup of tea.

Pete 28th July 2009 10:43 AM

Cex have the jap horror Junk for £4, is it worth getting?

BioZombie 28th July 2009 11:32 AM

It's been a while since I watched it loops but I remeber it being a pretty decent zombie film.

TALL DUDE 28th July 2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 35460)
I had been putting off watching Tokyo Zombie until I had time to really enjoy it as Im a big fan of other asian zombie titles. Unfotunatly I didnt really like it, wasnt funny at all and I didnt even manage to get all the way through. I remeber some one else telling me it was really funny so I guess it just not my cup of tea.

Hated this film,totally unfunny,and still to wade through the extras.:mad2:

KPWNINJA 28th July 2009 02:13 PM

Finally got around to purchasing The Fly: Ultimate Collector's Edition (7 Disc Set)! :p

Can't wait to watch all these great films again!

Also purchased WATCHMEN on Blu-ray and it is just as great as it was when I had seen it at the pictures! All superhero movies need to be like this!

Ah almost forgot... I got the Lethal Chiba set the other week. Looking forward to watching The Executioner hopefully tonight! ^ ^

BioZombie 28th July 2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops
Cex have the jap horror Junk for £4, is it worth getting?

I decided to rewatch this today and yes its totally worth getting. Its fast paced with loads of action, gun fights, zombies and it fare share of gore. It runs at a tight 120mins and never gets dull! I also remembered why I had be so retecent to rewatch it as the transfur on the german dvd I have can only be described as bollocks. Looks like it was ripped from a vcd loads of digital blockyness.

The film itself is totally worth £4 and if you get it I'd be interested to hear what the UK version looks like as I may replace my quite frankly extremely shitty german copy.

Kyle 28th July 2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TALL DUDE (Post 35445)
Whats your thoughts on red mist mate?
Saw this in morrisons,by the director of shrooms,which i wasnt to impressed with.

it was ok probably a 7/10 maybe

i wouldnt buy it full price i would wit until it goes down

i wasnt much for shrooms either

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 28th July 2009 03:04 PM

:p I only just watched Shrooms the other day and thought it was terrrible too. Hopefully Red Mist'll be better :)

I saw The Hooked Generation last night and LUVED it! Soo good! Soo good in fact, I've gone and bought the double feature DVD of William Grefe's Death Curse Of Tartu & Sting Of Death. Can't wait!

1313 28th July 2009 03:42 PM

Anyone here seen Neon Maniacs? I've just bought it as part of an ebay lot. Any good? It was part of a lot containing Toxic Avenger 25th anniversary edition, Class of Nuke 'Em High, Night of the Comet, From Beyond & Tales from the Darkside movie.
Only seen Tales out of those, so any good?

vincenzo 28th July 2009 04:10 PM

Watched The Machine Girl.

Go and get it. Now. Why are you waiting? :director:

Kyle 28th July 2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1313 (Post 35528)
Anyone here seen Neon Maniacs? I've just bought it as part of an ebay lot. Any good? It was part of a lot containing Toxic Avenger 25th anniversary edition, Class of Nuke 'Em High, Night of the Comet, From Beyond & Tales from the Darkside movie.

ive got it but havent watched it yet its meant to be great if you like that sort of thing

TALL DUDE 28th July 2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 35523)
:p I only just watched Shrooms the other day and thought it was terrrible too. Hopefully Red Mist'll be better :)

I saw The Hooked Generation last night and LUVED it! Soo good! Soo good in fact, I've gone and bought the double feature DVD of William Grefe's Death Curse Of Tartu & Sting Of Death. Can't wait!

Wow dude! I've just been reading the interview with william grefe in the latest issue of the darkside,and its piqued my interest in that same double feature from something weird.
I did see death curse back in the late 80's,but can remember bog all about it,so if this double feature is cheap enough,i'll order it tonight.
Also from reading that article i had no idea that grefe directed the william shatner flick,impulse. Mind you,that was dire!!:laugh:

On the subject of shrooms,it had great potential with a very interesting backstory,but was let down by a very formuliac "twist" which i honestly never saw coming. Yeah,right!:tsk:

TALL DUDE 28th July 2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1313 (Post 35528)

Its one of those 80's horrors which is really silly,but at the same time,very entertaining. The maniacs themselves are effective enough,but like i say,it has some very silly/stupid moments.
Enjoy!:)

TALL DUDE 28th July 2009 04:23 PM

Ordered a few things from amazon recently...

SOMETHING BENEATH-Monster movie starring kevin sorbo.
CERBERUS-Another of those sci-fi channel creature features.
SWITCHBLADE SISTERS-Great piece of 70's exploitation.Aint seen this since the early 80's on the iver video label,so its at the top of the to watch pile when it arrives.
DEAD IN THE WATER-Low budget zombie flick.Once again,the trailer sold this one to me.

Death curse of tartu/sting of death will hopefully be ordered this evening...after i check my bank balance!:blush:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th July 2009 08:03 PM

Received my Coffin Joe Collection & Embodiment of Evil from Amazon today :woot:... no prizes in guessing what I'll be watching for the next few nights! :eyebrows:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th July 2009 09:29 PM

I've also ordered this.I never ever fancied these films,but that Starz box looked too good.Films any good then?

Kyle 28th July 2009 09:48 PM

im 3/4 the way through S.DARKO and up to yet its a steaming pile of shit

Make Them Die Slowly 28th July 2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 35551)
I've also ordered this.I never ever fancied these films,but that Starz box looked too good.Films any good then?

I've seen "Awakening the Beast",it starts out as a fairly average 60s sexploitation film then goes crazy apeshit!I really enjoyed it.

I picked up the boxset and "Embodiment of Evil" today.

Pete 29th July 2009 10:45 AM

I watched Jess Franco's Doriana Grey and it is one of his worst films, even the occasional XXX footage failed to liven things up. I like nudity in films but showing Romays vagina in ultra ultra close up was just vulgar.