Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Rik 1st June 2017 01:53 PM

That's the one, I think it was a fake news story about people fainting to build up hype

keirarts 1st June 2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 535881)
RAW

I've said this before, the French don't often do horror, however when they do the results are worth watching. This is certainly true of this fantastique tale of a girl becoming a woman as she navigates the worl of university studying to be a vet. Not only does she have the usual issues being new at school, its compounded by her nascent cannibalisitc tendencies that are brought out in a hazing ritual where shes forced to eat raw rabbits liver. Could the cannibalism be a metaphor for the struggle of becoming an adult? Perhaps the paranoid fantasies of someone who copromises their prinicples (vegetarianism) to fit in. Either way the end result is great and well worth watching.

:woot:
Is this the movie that was meant to have caused a stir or controversary??[/QUOTE]

It is. Its not as messed up as they hype suggests but it has wince inducing moments. The bit that had me cringing, weirdly, was the scene of the character getting a 'brazillian' off her sister. :lol:

MrBarlow 1st June 2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 535885)
Is this the movie that was meant to have caused a stir or controversary??

It is. Its not as messed up as they hype suggests but it has wince inducing moments. The bit that had me cringing, weirdly, was the scene of the character getting a 'brazillian' off her sister. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I got it on pre order but as you say the hype I made like Antichrist and Blair Witch Project both were naff :lol:

keirarts 1st June 2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 535889)
It is. Its not as messed up as they hype suggests but it has wince inducing moments. The bit that had me cringing, weirdly, was the scene of the character getting a 'brazillian' off her sister. :lol:

I got it on pre order but as you say the hype I made like Antichrist and Blair Witch Project both were naff :lol:[/QUOTE]

I genuinely loved antichrist. :behindsofa:

I was watching it with one of my friends who genuinely hated it. I'm a bit of a lars von trier junkie though so I tend to enjoy all his stuff.

Make Them Die Slowly 1st June 2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 535885)
Is this the movie that was meant to have caused a stir or controversary??

It is. Its not as messed up as they hype suggests but it has wince inducing moments. The bit that had me cringing, weirdly, was the scene of the character getting a 'brazillian' off her sister. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Did it bring back painful memories?:lol:

keirarts 1st June 2017 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 535895)

Did it bring back painful memories?:lol:[/QUOTE]

Facial expression.....

Attachment 191201

bleakshaun 1st June 2017 03:51 PM

Cube 2: Hypercube
so like the original and the prequel the premise is simple, people awake to find themselves in a Cube room with 6 doors, the difference no physical traps and these rooms defy the laws of time and space, as usual they all have to try and figure a way out.
This one has a rather interesting idea with it in the form of 4 dimensional world where time and space is convoluded. the acting is good (some characters do wear on you but meh). a really good soundtrack, some ok visuals as well. the truth is though i don't think you even need to see the first cube movie to watch this as here is only a brief mention of the original.
7/10

Cinematic Shocks 1st June 2017 05:17 PM

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

Worth a watch for Liev Schreiber's excellent performance as Victor Creed. Not for much else.

** out of *****

Demoncrat 1st June 2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 535891)
I got it on pre order but as you say the hype I made like Antichrist and Blair Witch Project both were naff :lol:

I genuinely loved antichrist. :behindsofa:

I was watching it with one of my friends who genuinely hated it. I'm a bit of a lars von trier junkie though so I tend to enjoy all his stuff.[/QUOTE]

And why not? Some stunning shots. And the fox. Laughed like a drain when she turned up in the new Independence Day ...I thought "she's going for her 2 x 4!!" a few times :lol:

bleakshaun 1st June 2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 535912)
[B]And why not? Some stunning shots. And the fox. Laughed like a drain when she turned up in the new Independence Day ...I thought "she's going for her 2 x 4!!" a few times :lol:

i was thinking she was going to bang jeff goldblum and bill pullman together
finished House on Haunted Hill (1999).
Similar premise as original, a couple with a toxic relationship decide to have a party in an abandoned building, and invite strangers to come and stay for the night to win 1 million dollars. what was meant to be a joke, transpires into something darker when the building locks down. it turns out it was an asylum almost 70 years before with the head doctor being a sick sadistic surgeon. now everyone has to try and get out alive.
As remakes go, it takes the original premise but luckily enough changes it to be something original so credit is given when necessary, it's not a bad film nor is it a terrible film. what stands out in this film is the gore effects, the set design and Geoffrey Rush's Vincent Price character (named Steven Price).
7/10

MrBarlow 1st June 2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 535913)
i was thinking she was going to bang jeff goldblum and bill pullman together
finished House on Haunted Hill (1999).
Similar premise as original, a couple with a toxic relationship decide to have a party in an abandoned building, and invite strangers to come and stay for the night to win 1 million dollars. what was meant to be a joke, transpires into something darker when the building locks down. it turns out it was an asylum almost 70 years before with the head doctor being a sick sadistic surgeon. now everyone has to try and get out alive.
As remakes go, it takes the original premise but luckily enough changes it to be something original so credit is given when necessary, it's not a bad film nor is it a terrible film. what stands out in this film is the gore effects, the set design and Geoffrey Rush's Vincent Price character (named Steven Price).
7/10

House on haunted hill is one of my fav movies would have been better if they didn't cut bits out check the special features.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2017 06:25 PM

Sorry but i have to ask.

What's a 'Brazillian'?

MrBarlow 1st June 2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535931)
Sorry but i have to ask.

What's a 'Brazillian'?

Only thing I can think of is waxing the public area

LaughingWindows 1st June 2017 06:32 PM

Omicidio per vocazione aka Deadly Inheritance(1968) Season railway work Oscar is "accidently" killed by a train, his heirs however to wait for any piece of the rich man's pie until the youngest in the family turns 21. More accidents happen along the way...which gets the full attention of a policeman. Overall its a very good giallo despite some dull periods and unconvincing acting by some(not all just some) It gets better as it goes along. Decent kills...I mean accidents of course silly me;)

Hmm 6.5/10

trebor8273 1st June 2017 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q6YodwcxDE

A virus is stolen from a lab and one of those who stole it is infected and becomes a blood thirsty zombie infecting others, a group of people including some soldiers are caught up in this and have to survive not only the zombie menace but the military are cleaning up the mess. Lots of glorious gore and zombie mayhem. 7/10

Now watching

gag 1st June 2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Sorry but i have to ask.

What's a 'Brazillian'?

Someone who comes from Brazil :lol:

MrBarlow 1st June 2017 07:47 PM

Good Zombie sequel Trebor third Zombie flesh Eater movie isn't bad either. Good luck with Freddie vs Jason.

trebor8273 1st June 2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 535948)
Good Zombie sequel Trebor third Zombie flesh Eater movie isn't bad either. Good luck with Freddie vs Jason.

I kind of like Freddy vs Jason could of it been better, yes they could of done so much more , but its not awful just all a bit meh but still a lot better than Friday the 13th.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st June 2017 08:04 PM

Quote:

Sorry but i have to ask.

What's a 'Brazillian'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 535932)
Only thing I can think of is waxing the public area

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 535947)
Someone who comes from Brazil :lol:

I think both MrBarlow and gag are correct, but in the context of the sentence, the correct answer would be a very painful, and effective, hair removal technique that leaves every follicle empty!

NSFW picture on the Wikipedia page!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini...azilian_waxing

MrBarlow 1st June 2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 535949)
I kind of like Freddy vs Jason could of it been better, yes they could of done so much more , but its not awful just all a bit meh but still a lot better than Friday the 13th.

Yeah it is a lot better than Friday 13th, watched all 8 back to back and they didn't improve

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st June 2017 08:09 PM

I just watched the 88 Films Blu-ray of Just Before Dawn, and again with the Calum Waddell/Justin Kerwell commentary. I agree with Calum in finding it a bit slow and lacking a bit in the gore department, but it is beautifully shot and very competently directed. Acting wise, it's not brilliant, but it's a step above the likes of Don't Go in the Woods… Alone.

I enjoyed it, and found the conversation about the film and the slasher genre in general by the two commentators to be enjoyable and informative, so I will probably check out the extended version later in the weekend after watching the two latest additions to the Italian Collection.

In terms of the AV quality, even though I have no idea the merits of the DVD release, the, picture and sound are top-notch.

MrBarlow 1st June 2017 08:37 PM

Darkness falls 2003.

In the town of Darkness Falls a woman people called the tooth fairy was badly burned and never left home. Two children vanished and she was blamed, before she was executed she put a curse on the town.

This film was as good as the first time I saw it, plenty edge on the seat moments and jump scares. This is one to watch in the dark with the sound up. 8 out 10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 535951)
I think both MrBarlow and gag are correct, but in the context of the sentence, the correct answer would be a very painful, and effective, hair removal technique that leaves every follicle empty!

NSFW picture on the Wikipedia page!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini...azilian_waxing

Thanks for confirming a Brazilian is someone who comes from Brazil, Nos.

All those years of study are definitely paying off. :pound:

keirarts 2nd June 2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 535957)
Darkness falls 2003.

In the town of Darkness Falls a woman people called the tooth fairy was badly burned and never left home. Two children vanished and she was blamed, before she was executed she put a curse on the town.

This film was as good as the first time I saw it, plenty edge on the seat moments and jump scares. This is one to watch in the dark with the sound up. 8 out 10.

This was apparently butchered by the studio. I'm very keen to see the directors version but don't hold out hope. He went on to do the one genuinely decent modern texas chainsaw picture, the beginning.

Cinematic Shocks 2nd June 2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 535976)
This was apparently butchered by the studio. I'm very keen to see the directors version but don't hold out hope. He went on to do the one genuinely decent modern texas chainsaw picture, the beginning.

TCM: The Beginning is pretty solid. I thought the released version of Darkness Falls was a turd.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd June 2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535963)
Thanks for confirming a Brazilian is someone who comes from Brazil, Nos.

All those years of study are definitely paying off. :pound:

You're welcome. I didn't want there to be any confusion about the situation in South America.

In other news, water is wet. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd June 2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 535984)

In other news, water is wet. ;)

Unless it's frozen.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd June 2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535988)
Unless it's frozen.

In which case it is ice, not water, and is still slightly wet to the touch!

Back on topic, I watched Alien: Covenant yesterday and realised in the first 10 minutes it has been far too long since I saw any of the Alien films, particularly Prometheus. However, the storytelling was done very well so the gaps in my memory of how Prometheus finished were filled quite subtly rather than a clunky 'Basil Exposition' way.

The opening scene with Guy Pearce and Michael Fassbender, as Weiland and his new creation, who called himself David, was a terrific piece of framing and prescient storytelling, so the (intentionally) jarring cut to a ship travelling to Origae-6, a far-off planet with a cargo of 2000 colonists and 1000 frozen embryos to populate the planet, a seven man crew, and a 'synthetic' (also played by Fassbender) called Walter. (The difference between David and Walter is revealed later on in the film, but superficially David as an English accent whereas Walter has an American accent.)

Predictably enough, something goes wrong and the ship picks up a message from a different, closer planet which could be a distress call, leading the captain to decide to take an expedition on a smaller ship to the planet, encountering the 'Engineer' ship from Prometheus as the source of the signal.

Although this is a film where the beginning and end points are known to everyone with a working knowledge of the Alien films, I found myself gripped by how it played out, the interplay between the synthetics and humans, and between the two synthetics. There is a beautifully worked action sequence where the expeditionary group is attacked by some baby Xenomorphs and the frantic pace and lighting is really exciting. Throughout the film there are some excellent callbacks to the original Alien and some spectacular practical effects work with the various stages of the Xenomorph life-cycle based on H.R. Giger's designs.

Whatever the flaws of the film, Ridley Scott's eye for detail always gives you something to enjoy, so even if there are parts of this which do not entirely work, it is a pleasure to watch a master filmmaker design the hell out of every single shot. Additionally, the entire cast are impressive, with Fassbender probably taking all the plaudits for his dual role performance and Katherine Waterston's Branson drawing parallels with Ripley in a positive, rather than derivative, way.

Prometheus is a film which has detractors, but I am not one of them, so it's perhaps unsurprising that I really enjoyed Alien: Covenant and look forward to watching it again.

J Harker 2nd June 2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 535993)
In which case it is ice, not water, and is still slightly wet to the touch!

Back on topic, I watched Alien: Covenant yesterday and realised in the first 10 minutes it has been far too long since I saw any of the Alien films, particularly Prometheus. However, the storytelling was done very well so the gaps in my memory of how Prometheus finished were filled quite subtly rather than a clunky 'Basil Exposition' way.

The opening scene with Guy Pearce and Michael Fassbender, as Weiland and his new creation, who called himself David, was a terrific piece of framing and prescient storytelling, so the (intentionally) jarring cut to a ship travelling to Origae-6, a far-off planet with a cargo of 2000 colonists and 1000 frozen embryos to populate the planet, a seven man crew, and a 'synthetic' (also played by Fassbender) called Walter. (The difference between David and Walter is revealed later on in the film, but superficially David as an English accent whereas Walter has an American accent.)

Predictably enough, something goes wrong and the ship picks up a message from a different, closer planet which could be a distress call, leading the captain to decide to take an expedition on a smaller ship to the planet, encountering the 'Engineer' ship from Prometheus as the source of the signal.

Although this is a film where the beginning and end points are known to everyone with a working knowledge of the Alien films, I found myself gripped by how it played out, the interplay between the synthetics and humans, and between the two synthetics. There is a beautifully worked action sequence where the expeditionary group is attacked by some baby Xenomorphs and the frantic pace and lighting is really exciting. Throughout the film there are some excellent callbacks to the original Alien and some spectacular practical effects work with the various stages of the Xenomorph life-cycle based on H.R. Giger's designs.

Whatever the flaws of the film, Ridley Scott's eye for detail always gives you something to enjoy, so even if there are parts of this which do not entirely work, it is a pleasure to watch a master filmmaker design the hell out of every single shot. Additionally, the entire cast are impressive, with Fassbender probably taking all the plaudits for his dual role performance and Katherine Waterston's Branson drawing parallels with Ripley in a positive, rather than derivative, way.

Prometheus is a film which has detractors, but I am not one of them, so it's perhaps unsurprising that I really enjoyed Alien: Covenant and look forward to watching it again.

Thats the first thing ive read on here that gets me excited Nos. Strange because i really like Prometheus, but there seems to have been a lot of 'meh' attitudes towards Covenant.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd June 2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 536003)
Thats the first thing ive read on here that gets me excited Nos. Strange because i really like Prometheus, but there seems to have been a lot of 'meh' attitudes towards Covenant.

I too liked Prometheus so i'll probably love this.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd June 2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

I wish I had seen Prometheus in the last week or so so the events were fresher in my mind. However, as I said, the story is such that it expands on the events in that film and takes it on so there is capacity for another couple of films to link Alien: Covenant to the events in Alien. When it is complete, the five or six film series (from Prometheus to Alien) will be epic in scope and something to both enjoy and debate over the course of a week.

There are some scenes which are almost B-movie popcorn entertainment and others which are grander in scope, drawing on Byron and Shelley, speculating on the purpose of the human race and, in David, having one of the great antagonists of science fiction cinema. It is a film I'm very much looking forward to watching again and it has rekindled my interest in Prometheus, something I'll probably revisit this weekend.

MrBarlow 2nd June 2017 10:37 AM

Yeah it seems to have a mixed review attitude but i too am looking forward to seeing it

Justin101 2nd June 2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

I think everyone who has posted on here about watching Covenant said they enjoyed it, I know I did!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd June 2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 536012)
Yeah it seems to have a mixed review attitude but i too am looking forward to seeing it

I don't know if it's just because this week is a half term holiday, but for local Cineworld is down to two showings as the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film seems to have half the showings available in a given day and other screens showing things like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, King Arthur, Wonder Woman and Baywatch, the last two which I hoped to see but haven't found time yet; maybe next week.

Alien: Covenant is still showing next week, so it isn't disappearing without a trace and shows there is demand in the cinemas for a film, although it is part of a franchise, for those who are intellectually curious and don't just want to watch Johnny Depp phone in a pantomime performance for 2 1/2 hours.

Justin101 2nd June 2017 10:53 AM

Romancing The Stone (1984)

http://basementrejects.com/wp-conten...e-mudslide.jpg

They don't make films like this anymore...
I have an exam this afternoon, so rather than worrying and cramming for the last few hours I thought I'd chill out in bed and watch an old(!!!) classic(!?!). I picked this up on DVD with Jewel of the Nile as a double pack for 50p. Fantastic bargain! Especially since it was paid for by a fiver I found on the floor :lol:

Anyway, the film is an absolute rip-roaring comedy adventure caper that could only have been made in 1984, although I'm sure that in 1985 Cannon and 'Italy' probably had a damn good go of replicating. However, I'm digressing. Anything with Kathleen Turner in it is an instant classic for me, she has seriously good comedy skills both physical and snarky. The one unbelievable thing (??) for me was the casting of Michael Douglas (he also produced the movie...) as the hero/hunk/love interest as he is not good looking in any sense of the word and that haircut reminds me of Planet of the Apes...

http://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/Act...1570-4-267.jpg

That being said, he does excel as Jack, the rogue with a heart!

Great fun, 4 out of 5!

nosferatu42 2nd June 2017 10:53 AM

I enjoyed Covenant too, thought it was a decent Alien film that also managed to combine and extend some of the more interesting parts of Prometheus.

The only downside was that i wasn't too enamoured with the new female lead and thought that if Shaw had continued as the lead it would have been even better because i liked the actress from the prequel.

Although this would have affected the new storyline, oh well nevermind.:rolleyes:

Still it's a good sequel in my opinion, with Fassbender giving a good dual performance.
:pop2:

bleakshaun 2nd June 2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 536024)
Romancing The Stone (1984)

http://basementrejects.com/wp-conten...e-mudslide.jpg

They don't make films like this anymore...
I have an exam this afternoon, so rather than worrying and cramming for the last few hours I thought I'd chill out in bed and watch an old(!!!) classic(!?!). I picked this up on DVD with Jewel of the Nile as a double pack for 50p. Fantastic bargain! Especially since it was paid for by a fiver I found on the floor :lol:

Anyway, the film is an absolute rip-roaring comedy adventure caper that could only have been made in 1984, although I'm sure that in 1985 Cannon and 'Italy' probably had a damn good go of replicating. However, I'm digressing. Anything with Kathleen Turner in it is an instant classic for me, she has seriously good comedy skills both physical and snarky. The one unbelievable thing (??) for me was the casting of Michael Douglas (he also produced the movie...) as the hero/hunk/love interest as he is not good looking in any sense of the word and that haircut reminds me of Planet of the Apes...

http://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/Act...1570-4-267.jpg

That being said, he does excel as Jack, the rogue with a heart!

Great fun, 4 out of 5!

personally i'd say Jewel of the Nile is better than Romancing the Stone, but it's still a good film.
The Dark Crystal
The story is about 2 species that arise from the breaking of a magic crystal - the skeksis and the mystics. Jen a gelfling is told to reunite a shard of the crystal to prevent the skeksis from eternal rule of the world. who are using the crystal to replicate (not heard of the good old in out approach of replication i suppose ;)).
I think 80's fantasy is awesome and this is no exception; the design and animatronics are great, there is a lot of time, love and effort put into this film as well as also dripping in atmosphere (one of the few films that scared the s**t out of me as a kid) and it's a masterpiece from Jim Henson.
9/10

SymbioticFunction 2nd June 2017 03:39 PM

Rewatched Trainspotting yesterday in preparation for the sequel's arrival on Monday.

Stunning film that is still relevant today. I do find the toilet and bedsheets scenes quite nauseating but once they're out of the way, I settle down and (despite the dark subject matter), actually enjoy myself.

btw When Renton retches, I find myself doing exactly the same thing. lol

The film's ending is extremely uplifting and it has a lot of enjoyable dark humour throughout. The monologues and music are excellent. Probably the last truly great British film made and easily, one of the best films of the 1990's. 10/10.

Hopefully T2 won't be too much of a letdown (tough act to follow) - really looking forward to revisiting the surviving characters, 20 years later. Roll on Monday. :)

trebor8273 2nd June 2017 08:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSB4wGIdDwo

finally DC get it right, no confusing and disjointed scenes like Batman Vs Superman, this time we have a story basic as it is. Wonder woman leaves Themyscira with Steve Trevor to hunt down and kill Ares who she believes is behind WW1. Not as much action as you would expect, but when we have it, its fantastic with Gal Gadot not only looking the part, but also makes Superman look like a wimp, is it wrong that i was turned on when she was kicking ass !

strangely the showing i went to was dead, with bay watch showing around same time being sold out, so could this be that DC have a critical success, but not a finical success, which is the opposite of the others, also of the people i went with two of us loved it while the other two hated it, taking in mind the two that hated liked Batman Vs Superman and even worse dirty grandpa!! 8.3/10

Tonights viewing Wolf Guy.

Justin101 2nd June 2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 536150)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSB4wGIdDwo

finally DC get it right, no confusing and disjointed scenes like Batman Vs Superman, this time we have a story basic as it is. Wonder woman leaves Themyscira with Steve Trevor to hunt down and kill Ares who she believes is behind WW1. Not as much action as you would expect, but when we have it, its fantastic with Gal Gadot not only looking the part, but also makes Superman look like a wimp, is it wrong that i was turned on when she was kicking ass !

strangely the showing i went to was dead, with bay watch showing around same time being sold out, so could this be that DC have a critical success, but not a finical success, which is the opposite of the others, also of the people i went with two of us loved it while the other two hated it, taking in mind the two that hated liked Batman Vs Superman and even worse dirty grandpa!! 8.3/10

I think I'm going to go see this on Sunday - quite looking forward to it.