Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 20th November 2011 08:04 PM

Strip Nude for your Killer

Wasn't keen, apart from the ludicrous amount of stripping nude for the killer :shocked: (you definitely can't accuse it of having a misleading title!). Hilariously unconvincing portrayals of the medical, police, and modelling professions. :lol: Some top comedy nonsense, like the ‘hero’ strangling poor Edwige Fenech, and that WTF anal sex 'gag' freeze frame ending! Actually, I think I enjoyed it more than I thought, though not anywhere near the same league as comedy-bad Pieces . . .

Slippery Jack 20th November 2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 199035)
You can put me in the 'pro Monsters' category as I thought it was a beautifully realised road trip in which the monsters were just in the background (as they had been there for so long) and Gareth Edwards' writing and direction really impressed.

Yup, add me to the 'pro Monsters' camp - though it had been ridiculously over-hyped by the time I saw it, so couldn't help but feel slightly underwhelmed. Depressing viewing on the dvd extras, Edwards saying how there is really no need for printed signage in films anymore, because of how easily it can be achieved by computer effects - that's my bread and butter, you bastard :tongue1: . . .

wongfeihung62 20th November 2011 08:29 PM

Wu Xia - starring Donnie Yen and Takeshi Kaneshiro. Slow burning detective/martial arts movie, definitely worth watching.

PaulD 21st November 2011 08:55 AM

Watched Dolan's Cadillac last night - Stephen King revenge thriller starring Christian Slater. Pretty good - worth a watch.

sawyer6 21st November 2011 09:28 AM

Watched This Island Earth.Not bad really but also not great!

mercury 21st November 2011 04:24 PM

City of the Living Dead:pop2:
Hunt to Kill. I thought it was great, but I am a Stone Cold fan:nod:

Rik 21st November 2011 06:21 PM

Watched Beyond Re-animator last night, can't believe it's took me so long to see this because I loved it! Some great gags and probably the daftest end credits I've ever seen. Although it's not a patch on the first two films, it's still a good, fun, sometimes gory film and I'll definitely be getting the AV DVD now.

"They all float down here, they allll floaaaattt!!!"

Gojirosan 21st November 2011 07:33 PM

The Oblong Box

British made Gothic chiller spuriously attached to the AIP Poe Cycle. Gordon Hessler took over from Michael Reeves sadly, but this is a nice film that gets better with each viewing. Price and Lee, heaving breastlines and such. Great stuff.

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 21st November 2011 07:47 PM

My son has been watching The Walking Dead at his mothers house. So this weekend I thought it was time for him to watch the Dawn of the Dead Arrow blu.
We had to split it up between two nights because both him and the wife were pretty tired. He loved it needless to say. He got excited when I told him he met Ken Foree a long time ago. Next comes Day which has always been my favorite.

Phurious 22nd November 2011 07:39 AM

The Last Circus

Thanks to Wes for reminding me that this had been released. I heard that Alex De La Igelsias was making a new film a while back and well it's out now, kind of under the radar unfortunately.

I'm a fan of his films and whilst The Oxford Murders was seriosuly let down by Frodo Baggin's weak performance it still retained the hall marks of a skilful director.

The Last Circus is pretty special though and is a welcome return to De La Iglesias's form as a kinetic director with a very very dark vein of humour running through his ouevre. What was a very big surprise was how political this film was. The use of circus characters, in particular clowns and the long spanning backdrop of Spain under dictatorship and facism was at times less than subtle, but really unexpected which actually lent the movie a feeling of being on an emotional rollercoaster: at times tear inducing due to it's hilarity and then tear inducing because of its shocking sub-context.

I suppose some people might take this whole film at face value and see it as a fairly gory, black comedy about rival clowns fighting for the love of a gorgeous acrobat, but peel back some layers and lurking in the shadows are some very old wounds and scars about a period in Spain's history whose importance has slowly waned perhaps through it's subsequent generations of youngsters.

It'd make for an interesting double-bil with Guillermo Del Toro's allegorical Pan's Labyrinth, but whereas Del Toro's beautiful and dark fantasy displays a fairy tale subtlely (to some degree), De La Iglesia's film has machete wielding clowns, an Irreversible style face smashing with a trumpet and a sodium hydroxide face wash.

It's an insane fair ground horror/comedy ride that in turn conjures up the epic grandeur of Burton's Batman, the saturated CGI flair of Fincher, the darker side of Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the madcap surreality of characters from an Emir Kusturica film, the black comedy of John Landis and more, yet and it's a big YET, it is utterly and completely a De La Iglesias film.

Highly, highly, highly recommended :nod: