Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 29th December 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 206368)
Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Witches of Oz. I quite liked this, story-wise:pop2:
Santa Claus the Movie:)
Jack Frost(Michael Cooney) :lol:
Jack Frost 2....Maybe the worst film I have ever seen:nod:
Mac and Me:)
Arthur(original)
To the Devil a Daughter...I really enjoyed this until the end where it seems the producers ran out of time and money and just ruined a great film:(

I like how the final film is clearly an antidote to the previous stuff :lol: . . .

Gojirosan 29th December 2011 01:32 PM

I really wanted to like Bridesmaids as the cast was so great. But it was a huge disappointment. Uninspired and formulaic and, worst of all, just not funny! Only the amazingly talented Melissa McCarthy kept me watching it right through to the end. Such a shame.

And talking of frivolous comedy: last night I watched St Trinians 2 The Legend Of Fritton's Gold which was a pleasant way to pass the time. I liked the St Trinians reboot and this sequel was a perfectly acceptable bit of fluff to follow it. It was pleasingly absurd. Rupert Everett was wonderful as ever. And the lovely Zawe Ashton was great.

Also: Tamara Drewe, which was an excellent Stephen Frears comic adaptation. Genuinely evokes the classic cliché "funny and touching". Far surpassed my expectations. The cast (especially Tamsin Grieg) were brilliant.

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory: I like Burton's version. This was the second time I'd seen it and it was a decent enough way to spend a wet afternoon. Not as disturbed and dark as Mel Stuart's version, but nicely different. Yeah, good fun.

Scyther 29th December 2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 206378)
I really wanted to like Bridesmaids as the cast was so great. But it was a huge disappointment. Uninspired and formulaic and, worst of all, just not funny! Only the amazingly talented Melissa McCarthy kept me watching it right through to the end. Such a shame.

My fiancee was saying the same thing, and I've heard this sentiment repeated often by others who were disappointed!

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th December 2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 206378)
And talking of frivolous comedy: last night I watched St Trinians 2 The Legend Of Fritton's Gold which was a pleasant way to pass the time. I liked the St Trinians reboot and this sequel was a perfectly acceptable bit of fluff to follow it. It was pleasingly absurd. Rupert Everett was wonderful as ever.

Fully agree, both films are a lot of fun.

wongfeihung62 29th December 2011 05:16 PM

BLACK DYNAMITE - Spoof of all those Blaxploitation movies, with Michael Jai White as the titular hero. Imagine Jim Kelly crossed with Fred Williamson with a dash of Jim Brown. Lots of big afro's, bigger collars, deliberate bad acting and you sort of get the gist.
Any film that has a final nunchaku showdown between BD and President Richard Nixon has my vote. :rockon:

Baseball Fury 29th December 2011 06:29 PM

I THREW THAT SHIT BEFORE I WALKED IN THE ROOM!

I bloody love Black Dynamite, it's infinitely rewatchable.

I watched Horrible Bosses last night off Sky Box Office, and I thought it was excellent. All three male leads were brilliant, Kevin Spacey chewed up the scenery left right and centre and Jennifer Aniston looked unbelievably hot, which was impressive in itself. It was funny, (relatively) grounded in reality, and Jamie Foxx's cameo cracked me up. Much MUCH better than The Hangover.

Hubba hubba

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...19_634x476.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th December 2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 206435)
Much MUCH better than The Hangover.

A hangover is much better than The Hangover. :nod:

Mojo 29th December 2011 06:55 PM

BBC horror double bill!

The Stone Tape

I remember being scared shitless by this when I watched it on its (only) showing back on Boxing Day 1972 ( :eek: )
Nigel Kneale was brilliant at combining sci fi / horror and he succeeds here again. Highly recommended.

Lost Hearts

Another one that scared the hell out of me on original transmission. The ghostly kids are creepy as hell. One of my favouriritre BBC Ghost Stories For Christmas.

Slippery Jack 29th December 2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 206441)
BBC horror double bill!
Lost Hearts

Another one that scared the hell out of me on original transmission. The ghostly kids are creepy as hell. One of my favouriritre BBC Ghost Stories For Christmas.

Is that the one with the ghost kid playing the hurdy gurdy? Creepy's the word :eek: . . .

Gojirosan 29th December 2011 09:55 PM

Black Christmas (2006) - oddly, considering my love for Bob Clark and the original being one of my favourite genre pictures, I thought this remake was OK! I only really watched it because I worship at the altar of Michelle Trachtenberg, but it turned out to be an affable little bit of kitsch.

It's silly, obviously, but at least it tries to be. Dabbling with being tongue-in-cheek (to the point of comedy at times) really helped to cover up the more derivative and dull aspects of the story. The performances were great, the film being well cast and it was decently paced and not too long.

Obviously, the film and it's "spell out the backstory" is not going to hold up in direct comparison to the original, but I really thought this was one of the better remakes of classic horror films there has been.

Pleasantly surprised.

Captain America The First Avenger
- something of a stark lesson in mediocrity. Passed the time, I suppose.