Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Crimson Blade 20th December 2011 04:53 PM

Watched the stunning Edwige Fenech last night in yet another fabulous giallo by Sergio Martino. It was the classic All The Colours of The Dark.
The sound was a little muffled on the Shriek Show disc, but the PQ was superb.

Slippery Jack 20th December 2011 06:22 PM

Touch of Evil

Hadn't seen this since the re-edit first came out, so it was like discovering it all over again. Bloody brilliant film, frequently surprising with its twists and turns and tough content. Spent a whole afternoon and evening with the MOC BD - fascinating story behind the studio meddling - just printed out Welles' infamous 52 page memo from the Eureka website - reckon this might nudge out Deep End as my release of the year...

mercury 20th December 2011 08:26 PM

The Burbs.:pop2:

keirarts 20th December 2011 10:46 PM

A triple bill of films rented from work tonight.

first up (because it looked to be the weakest of the three, and I was right!)
Cowboys and aliens, not terrible just inconsistant in tone and overly long. Worth picking up if its cheap but i'll not be rushing out to buy it.

Second was final destination 5. Not bad, but totally unorigional. If you've seen any of the prior final destination releases you'll know what to expect from the get go. Theres a nice little twist at the end and though its unorigional it does deliver the goods in terms of nasty death scenes. If you hate the previous final destinations give it a miss, if not its worth watching and certainly not the worst entry in the series (more tony todd is a plus!)

Finally almodovar's The skin I live in. Glad I left this gem till last. I've never totally been into almodovars movies, but I loved Matador and hearing he was returning to horror/thriller teratory was too much to resist. I wasn't dissapointed. Its a very dark and twisted tale about a mad surgeon (played perfectly by antonio banderas, seriously this is possibly the best film he's been in for years) and the young woman he holds captive. Theirs lots of brilliant and disturbing twists to the tale and is a definate must see for everyone. Turns out three of my top ten fims this year are spanish, julia's eyes, Kidnapped and now this!

Handyman Joe 21st December 2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 204800)
A triple bill of films rented from work tonight.

first up (because it looked to be the weakest of the three, and I was right!)
Cowboys and aliens, not terrible just inconsistant in tone and overly long. Worth picking up if its cheap but i'll not be rushing out to buy it.

Second was final destination 5. Not bad, but totally unorigional. If you've seen any of the prior final destination releases you'll know what to expect from the get go. Theres a nice little twist at the end and though its unorigional it does deliver the goods in terms of nasty death scenes. If you hate the previous final destinations give it a miss, if not its worth watching and certainly not the worst entry in the series (more tony todd is a plus!)

Finally almodovar's The skin I live in. Glad I left this gem till last. I've never totally been into almodovars movies, but I loved Matador and hearing he was returning to horror/thriller teratory was too much to resist. I wasn't dissapointed. Its a very dark and twisted tale about a mad surgeon (played perfectly by antonio banderas, seriously this is possibly the best film he's been in for years) and the young woman he holds captive. Theirs lots of brilliant and disturbing twists to the tale and is a definate must see for everyone. Turns out three of my top ten fims this year are spanish, julia's eyes, Kidnapped and now this!

I missed The Skin I Live In and Kill List when they were in cinemas and have, for ages, been looking forward to a double bill when they're released on Boxing Day - for once HMV will see some business as I can't face waiting for the post.

PaulD 21st December 2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 204800)

I saw this at the cinema earlier this year and felt like I'd been punched in the brain after it finished. Such a brilliant, twisty disturbing film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st December 2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 204848)
I saw this at the cinema earlier this year and felt like I'd been punched in the brain after it finished. Such a brilliant, twisty disturbing film.

I missed it at the cinema but, with a description like that and with Pedro Almodóvar directing, it sounds like a film worth a blind buy.

Scyther 22nd December 2011 04:33 PM

Watched Tomas Milian in The Bounty Killer last night (awesome) and Pam Grier in The Twilight People (not so much).

sawyer6 22nd December 2011 04:46 PM

Had a double bill yesterday,first I watched Suck.Sorry but that movie totally sucked! and then I watched Monsters,well it was a good idea but wasn't developed well,I was so bored,the characters were dull and the whole monsters situation was not convincing.Luckily I redeemed myself today by watching Mike leigh's Career girls,very well written and very good performances by both leads

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd December 2011 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I watched Role Models the other day.

A decent fun film with a few laughs and a very good rock soundtrack. Seann William Scott is decent as always and plays his American Pie Stifler character for the majority of the film.

Kiss fans really should check it out as the film is full of their music and imagery.

An enjoyable ninety minutes which isn't too daft.