Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 22nd December 2011 05:58 PM

The King's Speech

Decent performances, nice production design, boring as hell :yawn:

Super

Didn't think this would work for me, reading all the mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it (dunno if it helps that I haven't seen Kick Ass?) - probably the funniest film I've seen all year. Loved the bluring of lines between sympathetic loser / psychotic vigilante, and thought the mix of comedy and no-punches-pulled violence was handled very well. Top performances across the board too - especially Ellen Page letting rip as a psycho take on Enid from Ghost World. Great stuff.

bdc 22nd December 2011 07:10 PM

Spooky Encounters (1980)
Classic spooky comedy with some very good Chinese opera style kung fu by Sammo.

close encounters of the spooky kind. (kung-fu corpse fight) - YouTube

Armour of God (1987)
Another classic...still it helps Lola Forner is in here because there isn't that much story. ;)

Bless This house (1988)
A bit disappointed with this Ronny Yu film...
Not a straight horror as I was led to believe.
There's too much silliness and improbabilities that are delivered straight which makes the film neither a horror comedy nor a straight horror.
Just didn't work as a whole imho.
The Trail (1983) is much better. :nod:

Black Cat (1991)
Classic even with a few imperfections,this should be remastered asap! :thumb:

Black cat HK trailer - YouTube

VicDakin 22nd December 2011 09:02 PM

Rambo - The Ultimate Blu-ray Collection

1 Attachment(s)
Just watched the Rambo blu ray box set,as with many older movies the quality differs to more recent films,but overall a good upgrade,Id forgot how violent Rambo 4 was,so i did a search and nicked this list:) after watching all 4 films today im hoping it will help me kill people better on Call of DUTY

Directed by Sylvester Stallone
Starring Sylvester Stallone, Julie Benz, Matthew Marsden, Paul Shultze

200 Kills
Miscellaneous - Dead people in news video, many strewn bodies, fish, horses, dogs

John Rambo (Stallone) - 79
Schoolboy (Marsden) - 14
Lewis (Graham McTavish) - 7
En-Joo (Tim Kang) - 4
Diaz (Rey Gallegos) - 2
Michael Burnett (Shultze) - 1

Sick Game - 6
Villager blown up by mine - 1
Villagers shot by soldiers - 5

Village Raid - 3
Boys shot by soldiers - 3

River Problems - 3
Rambo shoots pirates - 3

Village destruction - 63
Villagers and missionaries shot, stabbed, burned, mortared - 63

What I Am - 12
Rambo kills in flashbacks - 11
Rambo shot in flashback (imagined) - 1

Break in the Game - 4
Rambo kills soldiers with bow and arrow - 4

Saving the Camp - 10
Schoolboy stabs guard - 1
Missionary eaten by pigs - 1
En-Joo stabs soldier - 1
Schoolboy shoots guards - 4
Rambo rips out soldier's throat - 1
Schoolboy shoots guards - 2

Diversion - 4
Rambo blows up bomb and soldiers - 4

River battle - 95
Rambo shoots soldiers - 59
Schoolboy shoots soldiers - 7
Lewis shoots soldiers - 6
En-Joo shoots soldiers - 3
Lewis accidentally kills En-Joo - 1
Diaz kills soldiers - 2
Michael bashes soldier's head with rock - 1
Resistance mortars soldiers - 9
Soldiers kill resistance - 7

bdc 22nd December 2011 09:03 PM

The Black Panther Warriors (1993)
Starts off really well but somehow loses it's way after about 45 mins.
They just should have sticked with getting "the box" from the police station as the main plot point I guess...
Great totally over-the-top action/comedy and lots of classic actors/actresses here though... :thumb:
Which still makes it worthwhile in my book,even if the storyline is somewhat of a mess.

Black Panther Warriors - YouTube

monkeyscreams 22nd December 2011 11:16 PM

Psycho (1960)
I bought a brand new TV yesterday, I used to own a (very) old one. The first movie I watched was Psycho on blu-ray. It was an amazing experience...

platostotal 22nd December 2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 205314)
Psycho (1960)
I bought a brand new TV yesterday, I used to own a (very) old one. The first movie I watched was Psycho on blu-ray. It was an amazing experience...

Virtually everyone on here has had the "holy s**t" moment when we first check out our new hi-def telly with a cracking dvd/Blu, bit like a right of passage. Mine was APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX dvd 3 years ago on my lcd, great.

Demoncrat 23rd December 2011 10:12 AM

Rare Exports : A Christmas Tale. kudos to the filmmakers for this one, moving at it's own pace made a nice change from the unbridled mayhem of Breaking Bad 4 (my other viewing experience this week).

if youve seen the shorts (on this very site!) youll need nae introduction to this saga from "the land of the northern lights" concerning the chap in the red suit.

it reminded me quite a lot of Norwegian Ninja, in that i feel they didnt let budgetary restraints get in the way of telling a cracking yarn....

recommended, though may be a tad sluggish for HK fans :laugh:;);)

PaulD 23rd December 2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 205377)
Rare Exports : A Christmas Tale. kudos to the filmmakers for this one, moving at it's own pace made a nice change from the unbridled mayhem of Breaking Bad 4 (my other viewing experience this week).

Saw this the othe rnight at the cinema and also really enjoyed it

Demoncrat 23rd December 2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 205378)
Saw this the othe rnight at the cinema and also really enjoyed it

Jam! certain sequences would definitely benefit from the big screen, busy was it??

PaulD 23rd December 2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 205380)
Jam! certain sequences would definitely benefit from the big screen, busy was it??

Oh yeah, practically sold out. It was in one the local cinema's smaller screens and you got a goodie bag (santa hat, sweets, satsuma etc) and a free bottle of alcoholic or non-alcoholic ginger beer with your ticket too. Had a great night!

It's such a great little cinema too - they're always doing great screenings like this.