LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2012, 11:18 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Had 60 mins tele time last night and stuck on Tod Brownings Freaks. What an hour it is - I would kill to see a complete directors cut of this but sadly It's never gonna happen. Part historical document, part melodrama part cheesy horror/exploitation - this is truly a unique experience. Some complain that the ending reinforces negative stereotypes but I don't see it that way - Cleopatra had it coming and was the real freak of the movie (along with her strongman lover) - there's no doubt where Browning's sympathies lay. Now I've got to track down The Unholy Three.
Freaks is a great movie, not as groundbreaking or successful a piece of popular entertainment as Dracula, but one which has fared much better with age.

If you have the R1 disc, you'll know how good the commentary is and it is a DVD which is practically a 'must own' title for horror fans. I reviewed it some time ago - Freaks DVD.

Like you, I also want to find a copy of The Unholy Three.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
If it wasn't clear, I still think the that Ring is the best of them all - a genuine classic modern horror film. I just preferred the approach of Spiral to that of Ring 2 (though I quite like Ring 2, still). Ring stands head and shoulders above them both, however.
agreed,

I kind of wish they had taken spiral and given that to hideo nakata to direct, I think we'd have one excellent movie rather than two mediocre ones. Ring 2 has more 'scares' but for me starts of well and then gets steadily worse. spiral probably had better ideas but was poorly executed and flatly directed and for me at least was frankly boring.
Old 16th January 2012, 01:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Drive - a fine noir in a retro 80s style. A really well made film with excellent performances (especially from Bryan Cranston and Albert Brooks). I thought this was splendid.
Old 16th January 2012, 03:22 PM
Active Cultist

My late afternoon movie fix today was my blu of the 1981 My Bloody Valentine. Hmm. This movies only saving grace is it's innate sense of it's own absudity. A mine populated exclusively by towel whipping high school dweebs (not an old hand in sight), a town whose every square foot is devoted to Valentines Day (!) - it can't be serious can it? I honestly feel guilty for owning this (I even upgraded it) but the nostalgic bond to my Fangoria collecting, gore obsessive 14 year old self is just too strong (to see the pickaxe through the eyeball was my holy grail)- it will remain on my shelf along with The Prowler, The Burning and all the rest despite a lack of any real artistic merit. For shame, but I get the feeling we're all in the same boat here!
Edit - Nice closing credits tune - I will give it that.

Last edited by Handyman Joe; 16th January 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 16th January 2012, 03:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
My late afternoon movie fix today was my blu of the 1981 My Bloody Valentine. Hmm. This movies only saving grace is it's innate sense of it's own absudity. A mine populated exclusively by towel whipping high school dweebs (not an old hand in sight), a town whose every square foot is devoted to Valentines Day (!) - it can't be serious can it? I honestly feel guilty for owning this (I even upgraded it) but the nostalgic bond to my Fangoria collecting, gore obsessive 14 year old self is just too strong (to see the pickaxe through the eyeball was my holy grail)- it will remain on my shelf along with The Prowler, The Burning and all the rest despite a lack of any real artistic merit. For shame, but I get the feeling we're all in the boat here!
Gosh. I couldn't disagree more. I think MBV is one of the finest of the post-Halloween films. In fact, after Halloween it may well be the best of the late 70s/80s slashers. Revel in that atmosphere! For me it has a fair bit of artistic merit.
Pete, PaulD and DryJack like this.
Old 16th January 2012, 05:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

You should see the remake,then you'll know how great the original is.
Old 16th January 2012, 05:57 PM
Active Cultist

Early 80s slashers can be an emotive subject on horror forums - many people are fiercely protective of them, love them even. There is of course no problem with this - 20 years ago I was one of said afficionados. As the years go by though and I become an old fart in my 40s I honestly struggle to defend them on an artistic level - they're formulas plain and simple -. masks/nerds/breasts/kills - As I said in my post my nostalgia and undimmed love of gore effects means I still watch them but as far as quality goes, no siree!
Old 16th January 2012, 06:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Gosh. I couldn't disagree more. I think MBV is one of the finest of the post-Halloween films. In fact, after Halloween it may well be the best of the late 70s/80s slashers. Revel in that atmosphere! For me it has a fair bit of artistic merit.
Totally agree, along with Rosemary's Killer / The Prowler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
You should see the remake,then you'll know how great the original is.
I think the MBV remake is excellent, the 3d works really well and there are some superb kills.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 16th January 2012, 06:13 PM
Cult Rookie

Watched a few films over the last weekend.

Started with Island of Death and Venus in Furs (both recorded off the Horror Channel).

Island of Death was fun in a sort "what the f**k are up to now" and "this acting is terrible" kind of way. Quite liked the irony of the lead couple torturing/murdering "perverts" (because being homosexual or french was a perversion in the 70's!) while being absolute full-on raving pervs themselves!

I fell asleep halfway through Venus... so will comment when I've seen it through.

Also watched Troll Hunter and Tucker and Dale vs Evil on DVD.

Troll Hunter was great. A good update to the "found footage" theme that went the opposite way to Cloverfield and Monsters in showing the Trolls in more of a Jurassic Park sense. Good fun if not predicatable.

Tucker and Dale was also a really fun hour and a half. Good twist on the backwoods hillbilly/slasher. Funny, some well set up deaths and a predictable twist.

Nothing thought provoking here but lots of entertainment!
Old 16th January 2012, 06:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I think the MBV remake is excellent, the 3d works really well and there are some superb kills.
It does have some good kills.

Like this? Share it using the links below!