Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 9th January 2020 07:46 PM

A History Of Violence. 2005.

Tom Stall and his wife Edie run a small town diner, when he stops a armed robbery, he becomes the hero of the town until people start asking about his background.

Films that appear with David Cronenberg usually have violence, gore, in this he takes a step back but not too back from what we are use to with his films. There is a lot of character strength from Viggo Mortensen who plays Tom, a mild mannered who becomes a celebrity and Maria Bello as his wife who keeps him happy even with some role playing. Ashton Holmes plays their son who is being bullied and turns on them. Ed Harris plays the black suit man who think's Tom is someone else and William Hurt as the sinister Ritchie.

Only downside i think with this film is the third act of it, once everything is out in the open and the confrontation it seemed a bit rushed and became an ending only Hitchcock would feel admiration for and seemed left open as in a sequel would turn up, other than that still a great movie to watch.

trebor8273 9th January 2020 08:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kk9HBlS9SQ

Doris Day steals the show as Calamity who crackles with energy , some fantastic songs . Even though it's supposed to be a romance between Calamity and Wild Bill it seem it was more a love story between Calamity and Katie. If this doesn't put a smile on your face and have you tapping your toes, your probably dead. 8/10

Now watching Django (1966)

gag 9th January 2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 618424)
A History Of Violence. 2005.

Tom Stall and his wife Edie run a small town diner, when he stops a armed robbery, he becomes the hero of the town until people start asking about his background.

Films that appear with David Cronenberg usually have violence, gore, in this he takes a step back but not too back from what we are use to with his films. There is a lot of character strength from Viggo Mortensen who plays Tom, a mild mannered who becomes a celebrity and Maria Bello as his wife who keeps him happy even with some role playing. Ashton Holmes plays their son who is being bullied and turns on them. Ed Harris plays the black suit man who think's Tom is someone else and William Hurt as the sinister Ritchie.

Only downside i think with this film is the third act of it, once everything is out in the open and the confrontation it seemed a bit rushed and became an ending only Hitchcock would feel admiration for and seemed left open as in a sequel would turn up, other than that still a great movie to watch.

Yes I thought same , excellent film but ended was a tadge rushed .

MrBarlow 9th January 2020 09:56 PM

The Ghost and Mr Chicken. 1966.

Luther Heggs wants to be a reporter, he is challenged to spend a night in a haunted house where a murder/suicide happened 20 years earlier, and he decides to solve the case.

A old Family film comedy that will have you smiling/laughing from start to finish, Don Knotts does his best to make his character look half barmy and funny at the same time. The plot seems go off the trail a bit but the comedy does keep it entertaining up to the climatic end, it may not be for everyone but certainly worth a glance at.

MrBarlow 9th January 2020 11:29 PM

The Guardian. 1990.

A couple have a new born baby and decide to hire a nanny called Camilla who sacrafices the babies for her druid tree god.

William Friedkin returns to the horror genre with this simple tale of horror. supernatural folklore. The plot might sound a bit daft and old but it is worth a view, Jenny Seagrave stars as the mysterious Camilla, Carey Howell and Dwier Brown play the unexpecting couple who hire her and soon figure out her dark secret. Miguel Ferrer and Brad Hall provide small decent roles. There is some good gore fest moments and some decent build up suspense moments.

Demoncrat 10th January 2020 10:58 AM

Knives Out

When a famous novelist dies suddenly, the family gather round for the will. What transpires is a sort of old fashioned mystery of sorts :lol:
Ahem. Ana de Armas and Daniel Craig lead us through a labyrinthine carry on in search of the truth. Gawp at the cast if you want. Some are underused, but still ....
Recommended.

Demoncrat 10th January 2020 04:43 PM

Tammy & The T Rex

How sweet. Paul looks about 12. Terry Kiser as the maaaaad scientist :pound:!!!
Tis a tale of torment, trajedy, teens :pound: (aye right, the "bad boy" looks about 35) and tyrannosaurs. To tell more would be to rob you of the sheer delight of watching this. A hoot.

Justin101 10th January 2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 618462)
Tammy & The T Rex

How sweet. Paul looks about 12. Terry Kiser as the maaaaad scientist :pound:!!!

Tis a tale of torment, trajedy, teens :pound: (aye right, the "bad boy" looks about 35) and tyrannosaurs. To tell more would be to rob you of the sheer delight of watching this. A hoot.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. Vinegar Syndrome has released some really interesting stuff recently.

dis 10th January 2020 05:17 PM

hi guys, not watched it yet, but have recently got INSIDE.
its the 2 disc collectors edition,subtitled.

any good?

thanks

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th January 2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dis (Post 618467)
hi guys, not watched it yet, but have recently got INSIDE.
its the 2 disc collectors edition,subtitled.

any good?

thanks

If it's the French horror film, then yes, it's brilliant. Extremely violent.

Nordicdusk 10th January 2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 618470)
If it's the French horror film, then yes, it's brilliant. Extremely violent.

I second this.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th January 2020 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scalps (1983)

What good things can i say about Scalps?

Well, the film has a creative soundtrack that is both memorable and ever so eerie, setting up this tale of possession by Indian spirits of those who desecrate their burial grounds, rather well.

But for a 75 minute film (plus end credits) it's almost criminal that nothing of note happens until almost the hour mark. We have endless scenes of chatter, camping, archeology, more camping, a lot of driving and trekking the desert, but that's pretty much it.

We do have one scalping scene. It's gory but unrealistic with the end result looking more like The Mekon from Dan Dare strips than anything else. Thankfully the finale is a nightmarish world of shamanic sacrifice and murder.

I realize this film was low budget (although it was shot entirely on location so it wasn't that low ) but that really doesn't excuse that first hour.

gag 10th January 2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 618477)
I second this.

Yep I'll 3rd that, I've got this on DVD highly recommended.

MrBarlow 11th January 2020 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 618484)
Yep I'll 3rd that, I've got this on DVD highly recommended.

Definitely got 4 votes for it

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th January 2020 09:44 AM

I also highly rate Inside.

Demoncrat 11th January 2020 10:38 AM

Yes, Inside is ... a wild ride. Enjoy!

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th January 2020 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lake Fear (2014) (From Beneath - 2012)

Although Lake Fear is a film that clearly has many faults (mainly budgetary) you can tell those both in front and behind the camera wanted to make a good film.

Despite the two leads coming across as pretty amateurish you can tell they are trying and believe in what they are doing but the script which needed editing and also beefing up is letting them down. The story is too drawn out and could have played out as a twenty minute short as a segment of a VHS anthology.

Where Lake Fear does quite well is the photography. At times it's quite inspired and almost Bava-esq in it's framing. The music and sound design are very good, eerie sounds and even eerier music seep into surround systems and create something that's far too stimulating for a film of this quality.

As for the story itself. It's Cabin Fever on a tiny budget performed by just two actors.

I've just found out that this film is not titled Lake Fear nor is it from 2014. It's a 2012 film called From Beneath that's retitled for the UK market. Anyone who looks up Lake Fear and reads the synopsis will realise it's an entirely different film altogether from From Beneath.

MrBarlow 11th January 2020 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rise Of The Footsoldier 4: Marbella.

After leaving prison, Pat Tate travels to Spain for revenge and to make the big score.

After the first one which looks at Carlton Leach and the three deaths, the so so sequel, then came the 3rd of The Pat Tate story, was the fourth necessary? Based on some fact blended in with fiction, Craig Fairbrass returns as the "Yeti" Tate who is out to even the score against Frank Harris. There is the usual anger management therapy needed and heavy drug abuse but the downside is there is too much comedy to take it seriously in some parts and good karma. Worth a watch just to finish the series but view open minded.

dis 11th January 2020 08:04 PM

hi guys, thanks for the replies over inside.
yeah, the french nasty,looking forward to this now!

thanks

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th January 2020 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Quiller Memorandum (1966)

A half asleep George Segal, Alec Guinness, Senta Berger and Max Von Sydow head this West Berlin set Cold War thriller about a Neo-Nazi organisation, in which every footstep falls on the cobbled streets with crystal clear clarity.

The Berlin location work is excellent and there's a great car chase filmed the old fashioned way but otherwise this is fairly unremarkable.

MrBarlow 11th January 2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dis (Post 618524)
hi guys, thanks for the replies over inside.
yeah, the french nasty,looking forward to this now!

thanks

If you enjoy it dis, check out the French version 2008 film. Martyrs

Nordicdusk 11th January 2020 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 221926

Fish people attack a small fishing village thats already dealing with the tension and division within the community over the plan for a new multinational factory that will create jobs but at what to the natural beauty of the area and the livelihood of the local fishermen. The fish people start by killing all the dogs then raping the woman of the village then attacking the locals then raping the women them attacking the annual festival then raping the women. No joke there is a lot of raping going on here :confused: :lol:

I love this film the creatures look great the story is fun and the gore and kills are fantastic. This and The Nest are a great double bill. I never get sick any of them.

8/10

gag 11th January 2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 618528)
If you enjoy it dis, check out the French version 2008 film. Martyrs

Quite a few French horror along these lines

High tension,
Frontiers
Calvaire
Them
Irreversible so I hear I can't make past first 20 min not because of how bad the film is I literally get a headache with the constant camera work moving swaying and turning etc all the time .
Baise moi .

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th January 2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 618531)
Quite a few French horror along these lines

High tension,
Frontiers
Calvaire
Them
Irreversible so I hear I can't make past first 20 min not because of how bad the film is I literally get a headache with the constant camera work moving swaying and turning etc all the time .
Baise moi .

Baise Moi is crap. :lol:

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Nordicdusk 12th January 2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 618534)
Baise Moi is crap. :lol:

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Absolutely terrible film i was so angry i spent money on this.

gag 12th January 2020 02:35 PM

Screamtime

I forgot to mention the film (sorted now) as pointed out by nos

A real forgotten gem from middle 80s, a anthology film with 3 stories .

Each story concentrates on tension and atmophere and decent storyline, works very well and effective ,

Two friends steal some films from the local video shop and watch them round at one of their girlfriends .

First story stars stars Jonathon Morris from the TV series bread who hates his stepfather who running a punch and Judy show is his livelyhood, problem is his obsession of doing so is slowly killkng his marriage, his stepson soon gets what he deserves when he burns his puppet show down and Mr Punch comes alive and goes on a killing spree.

2nd story of a women who keeps seeing dead bodies and things happening in her house with a twist that different and not the usual story of it turning out to be haunted because of it past, a story that wouldn't be out of place from the hammer house of horrors TV series .

3rd young teenager gets a part time job as a gardener to help pay for his motorbike repair to compete in races, in a huge house with rich but weird owners (or are they ) who believe in faries and lots of garden gnomes for protection, tries to steal from them and doesn't quite end so well .

Highly recommend for fans who like their good old fashioned horrors with tension, suspense, and atmospher, very little on the gore but works well when its there .

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th January 2020 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Star Wars (1977)

I recently bought the 2006 dvd's of the original Star Wars trilogy so i could own copies of the films as they were originally shown theatrically - totally devoid of 'cleaning up', 'tweaking' and any additional scenes that Lucas Film have added in later years.

What an absolute joy Star Wars was.

Gone completely was the gloss and computer generated effects and what i watched was a fairly gritty (Picture quality wise) western in space.

It's difficult to put my feelings into words. The film felt so much more realistic in comparison to the special edition version which now comes across as a cartoon style comic book film akin to the MCU. This isn't Disney Star Wars this was the Star Wars of the maverick seventies, the film that changed the movie going landscape forever.

This version of Star Wars was akin to the very best spaghetti western rather than a polished studio production. It felt like a product of the seventies, which it of course was, the decade that film making really began again outside of the safety net of the Hollywood studios. The decade of The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Exorcist, The Last Picture Show, Apocalypse Now and Chinatown.

In short it was f*cking awesome and a proper unpolished reminder why Star Wars is thought of by many as one of the greatest films of all time. It's perfect imperfection.

I'll never watch the special editions again. Ever!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th January 2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 618537)
A real forgotten gem from middle 80s, a anthology film with 3 stories .

Is the film Screamtime (1983)?

gag 12th January 2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 618539)
Is the film Screamtime (1983)?

Lol yes clearly i forgot to mention the film DOH! :lol:

dis 12th January 2020 05:13 PM

hi guys,yeah Screamtime,proper 80s film!

yeah,already own Haute Tension (proper class), Base Moi, Irreversible and Martyrs.
anything else to reccomend?

thanks

bleakshaun 12th January 2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dis (Post 618542)

yeah,already own Haute Tension (proper class), Base Moi, Irreversible and Martyrs.

thanks

Frontier(s)

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th January 2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dis (Post 618542)

thanks

Hi dis

If you want to remain down the French route then i'd also recommend -

Livid (2011) Made by the same director and producers as Inside.

The Pack (2010)

Them (2006)

Sheitan (2006)

High Lane (2009)

Mutants (2009)

Demoncrat 12th January 2020 05:26 PM

Jojo Rabbit

Hilarious. Follow a young boy on his journey to wisdom. About as zen as it gets. Or not :laugh:. He's done it again. A very timely reminder of the seduction of evil. I think :lol:
Recommended!!!

MrBarlow 12th January 2020 06:11 PM

The Bat. 1959.

A killer known as "The Bat" is on the prowl in a mansion rented by a mystery crime writer and a hidden fortune.

This film is better than it sounds, full of mystery, thriller, horror and dark atmosphere and sinister claw hands appearing slowly through doors and curtains. Vincent Price plays the local doctor and expert on the species of bats, who is told about the money. Filmed on a low budget and use of good cinematography that outlines the shadow of the killer with some claustrophobic moments and suspense. Classic 50s film.

Nordicdusk 12th January 2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 618538)
Star Wars (1977)

I recently bought the 2006 dvd's of the original Star Wars trilogy so i could own copies of the films as they were originally shown theatrically - totally devoid of 'cleaning up', 'tweaking' and any additional scenes that Lucas Film have added in later years.

What an absolute joy Star Wars was.

Gone completely was the gloss and computer generated effects and what i watched was a fairly gritty (Picture quality wise) western in space.

It's difficult to put my feelings into words. The film felt so much more realistic in comparison to the special edition version which now comes across as a cartoon style comic book film akin to the MCU. This isn't Disney Star Wars this was the Star Wars of the maverick seventies, the film that changed the movie going landscape forever.

This version of Star Wars was akin to the very best spaghetti western rather than a polished studio production. It felt like a product of the seventies, which it of course was, the decade that film making really began again outside of the safety net of the Hollywood studios. The decade of The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Exorcist, The Last Picture Show, Apocalypse Now and Chinatown.

In short it was f*cking awesome and a proper unpolished reminder why Star Wars is thought of by many as one of the greatest films of all time. It's perfect imperfection.

I'll never watch the special editions again. Ever!

Any idea where this can be found i own it on vhs but what good is that i cant watch it :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th January 2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 618552)
Any idea where this can be found i own it on vhs but what good is that i cant watch it :lol:

I bought all three from Music Magpie for about £5.50 for the lot.

You'll have to have the dvd's as they won't be released on blu. 2006 was the last time they'll get a release according to Lucas.

Just had a look for you before i posted this.

None left whatsoever.

Justin101 12th January 2020 07:20 PM

You can buy them on MusicMagpie but you have to make sure you buy the right edition. It's the 2006 (I think) 2 disc dvds.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th January 2020 07:22 PM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...8860416&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...=used&qid=&sr=

Star Wars itself isn't available from any Amazon sellers.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th January 2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 618554)
You can buy them on MusicMagpie but you have to make sure you buy the right edition. It's the 2006 (I think) 2 disc dvds.

Not anymore.

Justin101 12th January 2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 618556)
Not anymore.

They had them last week, Treb probably bought them all lol.