Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 19th January 2020 04:01 PM

Coherence (James Ward Birkit)

Just watched this. Worth a look .... Buffy alert, Xander's aw grown up now :lol:
Ahem. An evening in with some dear, close friends? What could possibly go wrong?
Well ....
Worth it, but needs a rewatch, like Primer did cough.
Would make a great double bill with The Invitation, though that's no spoiler ;), as it's nowt like that except superficially.
Ahem. Recommended.

trebor8273 19th January 2020 10:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvqpFbRKtQ

As Dem said it's feels like a totally different movie compared to George's bastardised versions, which I don't think I will ever watch again.

Think Disney could make a tonne of money if they released these on blu ray but of course that will never happen because of George being such a Helen Hunt with either destroying the originals or locking them away.

Strange behaviour for a man who once said films were the property of film goers and not the director, but hey since then he become ever thing he despised.

Now watching Laitude Zero.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th January 2020 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Woods (2006)

Lucky McKee's second horror film following the excellent May (2002) is an interesting but slow burn supernatural thriller which has echoes of Suspiria and Evil Dead but none of those films visceral thrills.

It's a nicely acted piece with great turns from Agnes Bruckner, Patricia Clarkson and Bruce Campbell in what is basically an elongated cameo. McKee gives the film a great atmosphere and kept my interest throughout as the secrets of Falburn girls academy are gradually unlocked.

MrBarlow 20th January 2020 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Collateral. 2004.

Max who drives a taxi in L.A. dreams of having his own Limo company, on a night shift, Vincent asks him to be his only fare for a fee of $600. What starts off normal becomes a eventful night for Max.

Director Michael Mann keeps up the tension of the film as Tom Cruise's character as Vincent who is a hit man doing his rounds and Max played by Jamie Foxx does his part well as man chasing his dream and questioning his fare. There is a good feel of atmosphere and good direction but the film seems to fall apart towards the end IMO.

iank 20th January 2020 08:20 PM

Taste the Blood of Dracula. A trio of "community pillars" who lead a hypocritical double life as hedonistic thrill-seekers are suckered into participating in a ritual to resurrect Count Dracula, who soon reigns down terror on them and their families as a thank you. The 5th Hammer Dracula is better than the disappointing Dracula Has Risen from the Grave - which I actually turned off on account of being so dull - not least thanks to a very impressive cast including Peter Sallis, Russell Hunter, Isla Blair and Martin Jarvis and other familiar British actors, and a more interesting story. Taste also looks absolutely fabulous on Blu ray for a now 50 year old movie, and is let down only by a "WTH that was easy" ending and a trait of the mid-term Dracula movies, the lack of a strong hero (Peter Cushing is very much needed at this point). Generally rather good though. :nod:

MrBarlow 20th January 2020 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
White House Down. 2013.

While on tour of the White House, a Capitol policeman tries to protect the president and save the hostages one of them his daughter from a group of mercenaries.

Aside from having a good cast from James Woods, Jamie Foxx, Jason Clarke and Channing Tatum, this was a slow burner from the start and didn't really get any better as it went on. Some action movies do have little funny one liners this one seems to have a lot that are not really rib tickling. Roland Emmerich that was known as the master of disaster, was he on something when he made this, don't get me wrong the visual effects were decent but that's the only thing that was good about this film.

trebor8273 20th January 2020 09:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQh-mTarUow

Shorter than the original Japanese version with the anti war/ nuclear message gone, it's faster paced but the scenes added with Raymond Burr are quite jarring at times and he's rather dull and boring. 6.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4l0r11MreA

Godzilla is back , well sort of as it's a new Godzilla as the first was destroyed with the oxygen destroyer . how will it be stopped this time as the secret of the oxygen destroyer was lost to make matters worse another beastie Anguirus is also on the loose and it a way is not found to stop these two they will destroy Japan . 7/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th January 2020 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Alligator People (1959)

Run of the mill mad scientist creates mutation movie most notable i think for starring character actor George Macready as the mad scientist. There are a couple of decent swamp scenes but the alligator people, or should i say person, doesn't actually appear until the final seconds and looks less than impressive at that.

Having said that i just know i'll be watching it again at some point as i love shit like this.

Graveyard 20th January 2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 618918)
Coherence (James Ward Birkit)

Just watched this. Worth a look .... Buffy alert, Xander's aw grown up now :lol:
Ahem. An evening in with some dear, close friends? What could possibly go wrong?
Well ....
Worth it, but needs a rewatch, like Primer did cough.
Would make a great double bill with The Invitation, though that's no spoiler ;), as it's nowt like that except superficially.
Ahem. Recommended.

I watched this movie, and I remember was quiet good, but I don't remember nothing about it! LOL maybe need to rewatched it.

Demoncrat 21st January 2020 04:37 PM

:laugh:

Enjoy!!!

Demoncrat 21st January 2020 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Serial Killers Guide To Life (Staten Cousins Roe)

British road flick. It's nowt really new, but the execution was interesting. Two women meet at a self help seminar. One desperately needs help. The other offers such. Watch the bloody trailer, as I'm saying nae mair :laugh:

Recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st January 2020 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Death Race 2050 (2017)

Bonkers reinvention of Roger Corman's Death Race 2000, produced by the man himself.

OTT in gore but so OTT it becomes laughable as heads are severed, squashed and generally mangled by the maniac racers led by Manu Bennett's infamous Frankenstein.

Still, it's fast and frenetic and effortlessly entertaining with Bennett as quietly charismatic as always.

Very enjoyable but not as gritty or as good as the recent series of films starring Statham then Luke Goss as Frankenstein.

gag 21st January 2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 619047)
Death Race 2050 (2017)

Bonkers reinvention of Roger Corman's Death Race 2000, produced by the man himself.

OTT in gore but so OTT it becomes laughable as heads are severed, squashed and generally mangled by the maniac racers led by Manu Bennett's infamous Frankenstein.

Still, it's fast and frenetic and effortlessly entertaining with Bennett as quietly charismatic as always.

Very enjoyable but not as gritty or as good as the recent series of films starring Statham then Luke Goss as Frankenstein.

I enjoyed it, felt like even tho original dated now but good at it time they kinda tried sticking to same format and making similar style to original .

gag 22nd January 2020 02:53 AM

Doctor sleep, haven't watched it but the 3 hr version directors cut available to stream on Amazon prime.

https://www.ihorror.com/mike-flanaga...now-streaming/

Rik 22nd January 2020 07:23 AM

Only in the US, UK Prime just has the theatrical version :nod:

iank 22nd January 2020 07:43 AM

Bloody hell, I liked it but it was long enough as it was! :scared:

Deadite 22nd January 2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 618975)
The Woods (2006)

Lucky McKee's second horror film following the excellent May (2002) is an interesting but slow burn supernatural thriller which has echoes of Suspiria and Evil Dead but none of those films visceral thrills.

It's a nicely acted piece with great turns from Agnes Bruckner, Patricia Clarkson and Bruce Campbell in what is basically an elongated cameo. McKee gives the film a great atmosphere and kept my interest throughout as the secrets of Falburn girls academy are gradually unlocked.

This was on tv a few times years back, not sure what channel. I remember seeing it a couple of times and thinking it was decent.

Demoncrat 22nd January 2020 10:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Psychos In Love (1987, Gorman Bechard)

A charming tale of two lost souls who find salvation in each others arms.
OR
Low budget silliness with amateur performances agogo.
Take your pick.

Fractured (Brad Anderson)

Where do I start? I enjoyed it ... mostly. Sam Worthington can't seem to find his family after an unfortunate accident on a Thanksgiving trip. Is his fear unwarranted?? Or is there something really wrong?? Kept us guessing (until I got it haha), so will say it's worth a look. Trailer might give away too much tbh.

MrBarlow 22nd January 2020 06:05 PM

Nemesis. 1992.

In the future, Alex is a L.A.P.D cop and part human part cyborg, he is given a job to retrieve data from terrorists and stop the battle between the humans and the cyborgs and slowly begins to feel he is being set up.

Science Fiction B movie, were some of the dialogue seems messed up and the actors are trying their best to keep the film entertaining as possible, Tim Thomerson and Brion James play the men in black head hunters. Oliver Gruner plays the good guy Alex who thinks he is human and questions those around him. There is some good action sequences and laughable effects but does have that Terminator and Blade Runner knock off vibe to it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd January 2020 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd January 2020 07:59 PM

My favourite version of the oft filmed tale.

Second only to Witchfinder General and Theatre of Blood on Prices' CV.:nod:

MrBarlow 22nd January 2020 08:28 PM

Nemesis 2: Nebula. 1995.

73 years have passed and the humans lost the cyborg wars, when the humans are enslaved, a woman takes her young daughter Alex in a escape pod back to 1980. After 20 years, Alex is now hunted by the government and a robot Nebula is hunting her down for her DNA.

Holy Sh@t, what da f@ck was this? this seemed to have no ties to the original film, was the film makers trying to improve it from the first with a muscle bound female (no objections here). The plot must have sounded good in someone's head, there are some action sequences, cheesy 90s film all the way.

nosferatu42 22nd January 2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 619124)
My favourite version of the oft filmed tale.

Second only to Witchfinder General and Theatre of Blood on Prices' CV.:nod:

Yep, i'm with you there I am legend is a great little book and that is my favourite version by a long mile.:nod:

MrBarlow 23rd January 2020 10:33 AM

Nemesis 3: Time Lapse. 1996.

Alex is fighting the cyborgs this time in 1998, unaware she has more sister's in 2077 who went her to come home and escape the hunter Farnsworth 2.

Filmed back to back with Nemesis 2, Sue Price returns as Alex who has a different strain of DNA that can save humanity but the cyborgs want for their plan. Tim Thomerson returns as the new cyborg model Farnsworth 2, which is a bit of a rip off from Alien 3 model Bishop II. The plot is a little bit better aswell as some of the acting and more muscle bound women.

MrBarlow 23rd January 2020 01:02 PM

Nemesis 4: Death Angel 1996.

The war between humans and cyborgs escalated, Alex now a assassin is given a target and fails, now the corporation has now issued a bounty for Alex.

This was a bit different but not much better except Sue Price is a bit more in the nude and things popping out her nipples, this could be a stand alone film from the other previous films. This did have a lower running time which seemed to make the film last longer and the effects were a bit laughable, watch at your own risk of boredom.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd January 2020 02:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lemmy (2010)

A two hour doc about the legendary Lemmy from Motorhead.

Includes interviews with Billy Bob Thornton and a host of rock royalty from Slash and Duff to Peter Hook and Jarvis Cocker with a barrel full of Metallica's in between.

What was surprising was there was no contribution from Biff from Saxon. Perhaps the doc makers should have got off their LA arses and taken a trip to Barnsley.

49% Mother****er, 51% Son of a Bitch

Anne of the Thousand Days (1969)

A historical drama about Henry VIII's short but pivotal relationship with Anne Boleyn.

Although both Richard Burton as Henry and especially Geneviève Bujold as Anne are both very good i found the first hour so talky and lacking drama that it became slightly tedious even if some of the chatter was on the risque side.

However the following hour and a half upped the drama dramatically and the film improved no end as Anne proved to be not just a scheming home wrecker but also brought about the end of the Catholic Church's absolute power over England to boot.

With a fine supporting cast and great production values throughout, i find films like this good to watch every so often.

MrBarlow 23rd January 2020 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
F/X. 1986.

A movie special effects creator Rollie is hired by the justice department to create a assassination attempt on a witness. When things don't go well, Rollie becomes a target and goes on the run using his work to get some answers.

Decent 80s action thriller with a blend of comedy, Bryan Brown plays the fall guy Rollie who gets the blame for the mess up by Cliff De Young who thinks that Mobster Jerry Orbach. would be safe if people think he is dead. Brian Dennehy turns up halfway through the film and seems to move from place to place but his acting skills are not put to waste. There is some good suspense moments and few twists and turns, even though some of the effects are old, back then they were high class.

Dave Boy 23rd January 2020 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 222150
THEY CALL ME TRINITY (1970)

Excellent Italian western comedy in which brothers Trinity and Bambino help a Mormon settlement from a land grabbing Major and a group of bandits.
Plenty of gun play, fast moves, fights and a huge brawl make this a very enjoyable fun time.

MrBarlow 23rd January 2020 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
F/X 2: The Deadly Art of Illusion. 1991.

Rollie Tyler now living as a toy maker is approached by his girlfriend's ex husband Mike who is a cop, to set up a sting operation. When it goes wrong Rollie teams up with Leo, ex policeman now P.I. to find who had MIke killed.

Decent sequel to the film with a bit more comedy and some fast paced action and suspense. Bryan Brown and Brian Dennehy team up for the police corruption with New York's police. Still with the effects from the 80s that are a bit outdated (but were better than the CGI)they are still fun to watch and laugh especially with Rollie's new toy, a remote controlled clown that pops up.

iank 24th January 2020 08:48 PM

Mission Impossible: Fallout. The MIF team are forced to break the international terrorist leader they captured in the previous film out of jail to try and track down stolen plutonium being used to make nuclear weapons for a terrorist attack - and Ethan Hunt soon finds the case getting all too personal in more ways than one. The most recent MI film got rave reviews, but left me a little cold at the cinema, but I suspected I may not have entirely been in the mood, and a second viewing confirms this. I still prefer Rogue Nation (I just think the overall plot is more interesting) but I did thoroughly enjoy it this time, even if it is a bit long. The last act in particular (which is like 50 minutes or so) is spectacularly thrilling. :nod:

Demoncrat 25th January 2020 10:28 AM

The Velocipastor (Brendan Steere)

Testify!! :laugh:

A priest finds "salvation" on a trip to China :pound:
Short and sweet at 72 min. Very silly.
Hysterical "pimp" baddie etc.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2020 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Unwanted (2014)

A young woman arrives in a rural town seeking the whereabouts of the mother she never knew and becomes involved with an emotionally fragile self harming waitress.

I quite enjoyed this revision on Le Fanu's Carmilla. Eschewing actual Gothic for American Southern Gothic this is a beautifully acted piece if rather slow moving during it's middle third.

As it's based on Carmilla it is essentially a story of a lesbian vampire but those hoping for lashings of steamy sex will be disappointed as will those hoping for a blood bath - although one scene rips off Hammer's Countess Dracula right down to Ingrid Pitt's shocked pose as she's discovered in yes, a bloody bath.

It's all quite ambiguous with no proper villains so to speak - although William Katt as the obsessive father probably comes closest - but the characters drive the film along with i think very good performances and Christen Orr as Carmilla and Hannah Fierman as Laura convincingly portray two lost and tortured souls slowly coming together.

The finale is very effective and took me by surprise how it played out.

A solid slow burner, ideal for anyone wanting something a bit different from the norm.

MrBarlow 26th January 2020 06:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Delta Force. 1986.

When a plane bound from Athens to New York with a stop over in Rome is hijacked, a delta unit is tasked to rescue the passengers. when the attempt fails, they travel to Lebanon, failure is no option.

Aside from having the Cannon name and directed by Menahem Golan, this was actually decent action film based on a true story that happened in 1985.

Screen legend Lee Marvin stars as the Leader of the delta force and Chuck Norris as the second in command forced out of retirement for the rescue mission. Robert Forster stars as Abdul, leader of the terrorist freedom fighter and makes his character convincing and menacing at the same time. George Kennedy, Martin Balsam, Robert Vaughn star alongside. Recommended.

Delta Force 2: The Colombian Connection. 1990.

When DEA Agents are taken hostage, Delta Force team lead by Scott McCoy are sent to South America and rescue them and take out a drug lord.

Chuck Norris returns for this sequel with a new team taking on Billy Drago who is ruthless and evil, his portrayal as the kingpin and makes him terrifying and sadistic. There is some nice camera work, plenty of action and explosions.The film may not be best sequel and doesn't live up to the first movie but it is watchable.

MrBarlow 26th January 2020 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rambo: Last Blood. 2019.

John Rambo is now living on his late father's Farm, with his Niece and her grandmother. when his niece goes looking for her father in Mexico, she runs across a drug cartel and Rambo wages a new war.

Two words can only describe this film...****ING AWESOME, Sly Stallone shows to stopping at slowing down with his character, the way he brings the enemy to his own battleground and a cache full of weapons at his use. There is plenty of action and good amount of blood splatter. Recommended

Demoncrat 26th January 2020 03:24 PM

Blood Mania (1970, Robert O'Neil)

What a swizz. Exploitation at it's cheekiest, as there is very little of either in this. If it had been called The Bastards, it might have prepared me. Horrible folk try and outdo each other in the sleaze stakes. Kind of reminded me of Franco, with all his goodness taken out :lol::lol:
Lovely print I must say, but after the screamingly BAVAesque opening sequence, it begins to falter. Mate hated it :laugh:
Next!!!

trebor8273 26th January 2020 04:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnua-InrBgY

The story of a naughty boy called Brian who might or might not be to some the messiah and remember to always look on the bright side of life. 9/10

MrBarlow 26th January 2020 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Punisher. 2004.

A Undercover F.B.I. agent become a vigilante after his family is killed in a mob hitman execution.

Decent stylish remake of the Dolph Lundren 80s film, this time Thomas Jane takes the lead role of Frank Castle who visits his family for a reunion before moving to London after a botched sting operation leaving one dead who is the son of Mobster Howard Saint played brilliantly by John Travolta.

The film does have it's laughs and flaws which are ignored with the amount of action, sadistic torture and how Castle plots the revenge and able to turn people against each other. Will Patton co-stars as the family lawyer who enjoys inflicting pain on others, Rebecca Romijn, Ben Foster and John Pinette star as the lucky new neighbours of Castle.

Nordicdusk 27th January 2020 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 222210

In the woods next to an all girls school a student is raped while taking a short cut home. After the vicious assault the girl ends up in a care home from the shock. The school is sent into panic and the girls are not permitted to walk home alone they must be collected by family or carpooling with a teacher. But one girl slips away and is once again raped in the same woods but this time the attacker goes a step further and murders the girl.

Assault is a sleazy little affair where every male character comes across a little rapey in their treatment of woman. There are plenty of suspects but one or two act a bit too odd to throw you off picking the killer but overall an entertaining watch. I would of liked a better choice of music when the attack where happening something a bit more sinister but just a minor flaw.

7/10

Demoncrat 27th January 2020 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Doctor Sleep (Mike Flanagan)

Renton versus The Overlook is it?? Come hither then, ye weary travellers.
I sort of enjoyed the book, as twasn't one of his BIG mothers, the vilians are reprehensible scum, the usual nod to his own alcoholism etc etc. The film isn't different in this respect, even if some of it seems rushed cough.
When the music kicked in at the end, I did get a chill up the spine. Whether I ever revisit it again.... we shall see.
Recommended in that at least as a sequel it isn't just a retread.

MrBarlow 27th January 2020 12:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Taken. 2008.

Ex C.I.A. operative Bryan Mills travels to Paris and puts his skills to the test when his daughter is kidnapped by Albanians who use girls for sex trafficking.

Liam Neeson proves he can kick ass his way in this action flick, a ex counter terrorist specialist with a teen daughter who seems to be spoiled by her rich step father and moody mother played by Famke Janssen. The film does start a bit slow and the pace does quicken up good, to finding the kidnappers and using his own method of torture to find the answers. Never gets boring.

Taken 2. 2012.

Bryan Mills is in Istanbul doing security detail, when his ex wife and daughter appear to join him, unaware the father of one of the kidnappers Bryan killed is seeking revenge.

This was so so sequel, with the changed attitude of the characters, Kim and Lenore have seemed to matured a little bit, Kim not acting spoiled and throwing a tantrum when things don't go her way and Lenore not acting like a spoiled wife and Bryan being too observant. There is action and some fighting scenes , it does have its shady camera work, the shots over and in Istanbul are amazing. Rade Serbedzija gives a good performance as the father of Marko who wants his revenge by any ways necessary.