Cultist

Planet Terror (2007)

**** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 25th April 2012, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tried to watch a film called the gundown a western

I just could not get into it i turned if off after half a hr it had no appeal to me..
Old 25th April 2012, 07:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
It wasn't good im afraid, the first hour is a mess and then the rest of the film is about the history of cinema which is really good. But the message in the film is we shouldn't forget where film came from, to preserve the originality, production and love put into a film in a movie in a 3D CGI extravaganza from a man who is so intune with the history of film. It's kind of hypocritical of Scorsese. I found the plot to be a bit dull to...

boy lives by himself in a railway station and does a nice thing for an old man.
That's the plot. Scorsese is way above this kind of film making. All though i will say that it's the best example of 3D moviemaking i've seen even if i am anti-3D.
Each to there own of course, I think it was masterful.

DVD and BD collection
Old 25th April 2012, 08:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Black Mask (1996)
Looks like the new Kam & Ronson dvd/bd finally has the uncut original HK cut (Cat IIB).
Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Black Mask AKA Hak Hap (1996)

Very dark and violent comic-book style action drama that succeeds in keeping the viewer wondering what's coming next.
Thank goodness there's also a little bit of comedy.

Last edited by bdc; 25th April 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 25th April 2012, 09:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Black Mask (1996)
Looks like the new Kam & Ronson dvd/bd finally has the uncut original HK cut (Cat IIB).
Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Black Mask AKA Hak Hap (1996)

Very dark and violent comic-book style action drama that succeeds in keeping the viewer wondering what's coming next.
Thank goodness there's also a little bit of comedy.

Great film Black Mask.

What gets me is that Jet Li wears this very small mask, yet no-one recognises him at work.
bdc likes this.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched oakley seven just a average film of seven students caught in underground caves under the desert wasnt a great film but at same time wasnt that bad either ....
Old 26th April 2012, 12:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Small town folk

It was a weird and strange film and rubbish at same time but so rubbish i kinda enjoyed it in a bad way..
Old 26th April 2012, 06:12 PM
Active Cultist

A Zed and Two Noughts - Holy shit this is an insane movie. Technically incredible - shot to look like like a gallery of Vermeer paintings, the blu ray pic ture is stunning. One of Michael Nyman's best soundtracks. Copious nudity. Sounds great - but wait a minute, dreadful acting (including a surreal appearance from Jim Davidson!), leaden pretentious script and no plot whatsoever make it a bit of a slog. People often say Peter Greenaway is a love him or hate him director - I disagree as I've a foot firmly in both camps. Apart from The Cook, The Thief... of course, that one was an unmitigated masterpiece. Still recommend getting this BFI release for the sensory pleasures alone.
Old 26th April 2012, 06:22 PM
Cult Addict

Decided to take my mum to the cinema today. We both wanted to see The avengers. Even at 70 she's something of a sci-fi comic book geek and we'd both been looking forward to the film.

Unfortunately due to eyesight issues (genetic I have it as well) 3d is a big no-no unless we fancy spending the rest of the evening with migranes. Rolled up to the cinema to find JUST ONE BLOODY SCREENING all day for the 2d and absolute loads for the 3d. The one screening for 2d was timed at the most awkward time imaginable as well. With nothing else to do I told my mum to pick another film so she decided on battleships (to be fair everything else either looked dreadful, or in the case of cabin in the woods just wasnt her thing)

Ah well, I went in and braced myself for crap.

The verdict?

Not the total shambles I'd expected but not great either. It avoided the fast cutting and repetive awfuness of a michael bay (shudder) movie, the effects were decent and for the most part it was distracting enough. I shan't bother picking it up on blu-ray, every positive point about the movie relies on it being seen on a massive screen with a decent sound system (both things I lack) and otherwise the film did become jingoistic at times and the plot and character exposition were so wafer thin they would make mr. creosote explode.
Old 26th April 2012, 06:27 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
A mate and I did a double bill of Escape From New York and Assault On Precinct 13.

And Lo! It was good!
A stupid question:

Ignoring the obvious answer (i.e you don't have it), but why didn't you do "Escape from New York" and then "Escape from L.A"?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!