Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 31st March 2021 04:44 PM

I had a blast with Terrifier its a great film to veg out to no story just killing cant see the problem :lol:

Graveyard 31st March 2021 05:00 PM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...82,268_AL_.jpg

When the East meets the West(ern) :happy:

Kurando Mitsutake didn't disappoint me yet, Karate Kill was a blast, Samurai Avenger it's funny, gory and trashy everything you want in a movie.

nicholasrope 31st March 2021 08:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Never Back Down

A MMA take on The Karate Kid, which sees a teen encounter issues with the local bully and therefore takes up MMA training to defeat him in a (Not so) underground tournament. Very enjoyable and the tournament does have a twist at the end (Which I kinda appreciate).

Rat Race

A madcap modern take on The Cannonball Run which sees random people go on a chase to be the 1st to a locker that contains 2 million dollars. It's silly, stupid and ludicrous (As in nobody could destroy a Airport Radar and get away with it or steal a Land Speed Car) but it's funny, enjoyable and perfect for a hot day if you don't want a film that you have to concentrate on.

Creed II

The Sons of Creed and Drago do battle for the Heavyweight Championship of the World. A quality edition to The Rocky Saga with a career best performance from Dolph Lundgren. It has also has some nice Easter Eggs for fans. It will be interesting to see how Creed III handles being it's own entity with the characters it's established without the Rocky characters.

MrBarlow 31st March 2021 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Dark and The Wicked. 2020.

A brother and sister return to their family farm as their father is slowly dying but the mother believes there is a evil presence there.

This was another haunted house/farm that looked like it had potential, there is a few jump scenes that were timed perfectly, the acting was decent and everyone trying their best to make it as genuine and creepy. Cannot fault the cinematography as it was handled under good direction and with the low light used that gave it the perfect dark atmosphere. Yet the the plot to it made no sense, why was the family targeted, no idea, was the father a bad person and some demon coming to claim his soul, not a clue, was hoping it would all be revealed yet nothing. Think 90 minutes of my life have been wasted.

Attachment 232279

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2021 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Australia (2008)

Hugely enjoyable epic movie from Baz Luhrmann.

At two hours forty minutes it's probably too long but this Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman headliner constantly entertains as it lurches from comedy to western to wartime adventure with Aboriginal Walkabout's thrown in.

Luhrmann's photography is sumptuous and the film has several memorable sequences including a deadly cattle stampede straight out of Howard Hawk's Red River.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st April 2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 649026)
Australia (2008)

Hugely enjoyable epic movie from Baz Luhrmann.

As much as I like Moulin Rouge!, Romeo + Juliet, and The Great Gatsby, Australia is my favourite Baz Luhrmann film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2021 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some Like it Sexy (1969)

The fantasies of of a young man (Christopher Matthews - who you may remember as Paul in 1970's Scars of Dracula) who zips about London in his E-Type seducing a variety of swinging sixties 'dolly birds'.

This is largely plotless affair with Matthews seemingly wishing he was Michael Caine's Alfie but actually coming across like a knock off Robin Askwith and is memorable only for his sex scene double having a ridiculously hairy arse and dozens of moles on his back. It's amusing to begin with but quickly smacks of film making incompetence.

The only decent and slightly sexy scene involves Matthews threesome with the Collinson twins, Mary and Madeleine, soon to be seen in 1971's Twins of Evil. It soon becomes clear that they prefer each other to the floundering Matthews so director Donovan Winter clearly filmed a surprisingly graphic and lengthy lesbian sex scene (Sans Matthews) to spice things up.

Justin101 1st April 2021 02:04 PM

I've had Australia on BD for years in a Luhrman box set but never thought to actually watch it, I kind of want to give it a go though now.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st April 2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 649052)
I've had Australia on BD for years in a Luhrman box set but never thought to actually watch it, I kind of want to give it a go though now.

If you have a few hours one afternoon or evening, put your phone on silent and enjoy some brilliantly accomplished filmmaking. It's a far from typical Baz Luhrmann film, an epic action-adventure with serious things to say about the more regrettable aspects of Australian history.

Demoncrat 1st April 2021 10:02 PM

Creation Stories (Nick Moran)

Couldn't resist seeing this.
If only to see how The Jesus & Mary Chain would be portrayed :lol: in the course of events. Spud plays McGee. A well known cast play various folk I grew up listening to tbh :lol:, much to a greater or lesser effect depending on how much of The Golden Bough you've read :laugh:
Ahem.
A film. You may recognise some of the ST :rolleyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2021 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blood From the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

A slo-burn Hammer film based on Stoker's Jewel of the Seven Stars is one of the 'Studio that Dripped Blood's' output that improves with repeated viewings.

Swapping the typical bandaged undead fella for the statuesque Valerie Leon as a young woman possessed by the spirit of a long dead Egyptian queen.

Leon is actually rather tasty in the role and shows a good range from vulnerable to decidedly sinister and is my favourite of Hammer's latter day femme fatale's whilst James Villiers makes for a remarkably fun sneery villain. The film naturally looks great and features gory neck wounds Tom Savini would have been proud of.

Nordicdusk 2nd April 2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 649050)
Some Like it Sexy (1969)

The fantasies of of a young man (Christopher Matthews - who you may remember as Paul in 1970's Scars of Dracula) who zips about London in his E-Type seducing a variety of swinging sixties 'dolly birds'.

This is largely plotless affair with Matthews seemingly wishing he was Michael Caine's Alfie but actually coming across like a knock off Robin Askwith and is memorable only for his sex scene double having a ridiculously hairy arse and dozens of moles on his back. It's amusing to begin with but quickly smacks of film making incompetence.

The only decent and slightly sexy scene involves Matthews threesome with the Collinson twins, Mary and Madeleine, soon to be seen in 1971's Twins of Evil. It soon becomes clear that they prefer each other to the floundering Matthews so director Donovan Winter clearly filmed a surprisingly graphic and lengthy lesbian sex scene (Sans Matthews) to spice things up.

Is there anything worse than an incestuous lesbian scene ruined by a big hairy arse :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd April 2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 649104)
Is there anything worse than an incestuous lesbian scene ruined by a big hairy arse :lol:

That nearly made me spit my coffee!:pound:

Demoncrat 2nd April 2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Water off a duck's back to a Franco fan :pound::pound::pound:;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

No hairy arse in that lengthy scene. Just the twins. :high5:

Nordicdusk 2nd April 2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 649115)
No hairy arse in that lengthy scene. Just the twins. :high5:

Not that i dont believe you but i think i better see it myself just to be sure :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2021 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Haunting of Margam Castle (2020)

A very low budget film with a surprisingly starry cast (Derren Nesbitt, Jane Merrow, Caroline Munro, Garrick Hagon, Judy Matheson) as well as some paranormal investigators - all young actors probably friends of the producer with minimal acting ability but at least they try hard. Speaking of acting ability of the 'stars' only Nesbitt seems comfortable in front of a camera and he gives an enjoyably natural performance. Merrow speaks like she hasn't acted in years and Munro yet again proves she only got acting gigs back in the seventies because she looked good in a bikini holding a bottle of rum.

The film itself is deeply flawed and factually incorrect (For example Merrow tells a tale of the Pendle witches being burnt alive on Pendle Hill by Matthew Hopkins - Complete nonsense on every level, plus can you believe a group of ghost hunters had never heard of the Necronomicon?). It's also not in the least bit horrifying (although there were one or two really cool ghostly shots). However there's also a lot i really enjoyed.

Margam Castle (A genuine Victorian mansion in South Wales) is a stunning location - Seriously, every old dark house movie should have been filmed there - and the cinematography complements it beautifully with some amazing shots. The score is also excellent. A mixture of known public domain classics beautifully arranged and new music which as an accompaniment to the photography brings a soothing calmness to the ham fistedness of other parts of the film.

Yet despite all the negative things i've written i know it's a film i'll return to in the future. It actually had enough about it technically to make it an enjoyable watch and i was never bored.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2021 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trouble with Eve (1960)

'Cosy teas with tasty tarts and crumpets'.

So says the sign on new arrival Hy Hazell's cottage tea room on the edge of a quaint English village inhabited by suspicious church going locals.

If you can see anything remotely funny in that tea room sign then this comedy will be right up your street.

Needless to say. I loved it!

MrBarlow 3rd April 2021 01:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Phantom Of 42nd Street. 1945.

A theater critic and a police Lt. team up to investigate the death of a stage actor during a performance.

This was a decent film apart from some daft dialogue and the actors try to make it better in this murder mystery thriller that does leave you scratching your head as to who was the killer. Dave O'Brien plays critic Tony Woolrich who is reluctantly forced to look into what happened and Jack Mulhall plays Lt. Walsh who hates the idea of a critic investigating and with no clues joins forces. Kay Aldridge plays the daughter of the actor who may be next in the line of fire and tries to help with the mysterious figure in the back. There is some comedy in this but not side splitting mere more smirk and a grin but enjoyable enough for 58 minutes.

Attachment 232316

MrBarlow 3rd April 2021 03:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Phantom Light. 1935.

When a lighthouse keeper dies, his replacement Sam Higgins takes over, he is told the stories of a mysterious light that appears that lures ships to be shipwrecked.

This was a decent ordinary British mystery set around the coast of Wales with some good light humour (Pun intended), Gordon Harker stars as Sam who takes the role of the lighthouse keeper and brings in some good comedy lines. Binnie Hale the stranded woman at the train station who then becomes some sort of heroine, her acting may tend to go overboard at times but doesn't stop her trying to outsmart the men round her.

Attachment 232317

Demoncrat 3rd April 2021 10:32 AM

Man Vs (2015)

Man Vs Budget would be apter :lol:
A Bear Grylls type is dumped in the Canadian wilderness to fend for himself (with support team within jogging distance ahem) but finds more than truffles during his "ordeal".
Reasonable build up shattered by the cheapo CGI.
To be brutally honest, Man Vs Food is scarier :laugh::nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2021 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hellraiser: Judgment (2018)

I might as well say it straight away. I really enjoyed this.

It had everything i want from a direct to dvd entry in a series which is now 34 years old. It had an easy to follow storyline about two detective brothers tracking a serial killer. It has some seriously fun gore. Cenobites in it a lot (Which can't be said for many of the films in the series), some cool new Cenobites as well as one or two from past movies and it also introduces new aspects of hell such as the Stygian Inquisition which work beautifully.

Although he's not Doug Bradley (His own choice not to be involved), Paul T Taylor is a pretty good Pinhead and new Cenobites such as the Auditor and the Cleaners are in my opinion great additions to the franchise.

With a running time of 80 minutes Hellraiser: Judgment is quit short and thankfully none of the time is wasted. It's to be commended for adding several new ideas to the series and not simply trying to get by on what has gone before.

Because there's so much Cenobite action and a storyline that zips along i think this is the best of the DTV sequels by far and is also a more coherent movie than the majority of Hellraiser films full stop.

Demoncrat 3rd April 2021 09:37 PM

Godzilla Vs Kong (2021)

Monkey fight lizard. Things break. Eric! Eleven! Ahem.
I'm going to watch it again just to make sure of what I saw :nod:

MrBarlow 3rd April 2021 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Zombies Of Mora Tau. 1957.

In the East coast of Africa, Zombie-like sailors always protect their fortune from treasure hunters, will a new group try and succeed?

A good campy example of the 50s B movies era that was enjoyable to watch, good scenery for the atmospheric plot that does the film some justice, there is something remarkable from Alison Hayes being a zombie and nobody wants to believe it, the other actors do try to keep it entertaining and able to pass an hour or so, certainly worth another watch,.

Attachment 232335

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 649165)
Zombies Of Mora Tau. 1957.

In the East coast of Africa, Zombie-like sailors always protect their fortune from treasure hunters, will a new group try and succeed?

A good campy example of the 50s B movies era that was enjoyable to watch, good scenery for the atmospheric plot that does the film some justice, there is something remarkable from Alison Hayes being a zombie and nobody wants to believe it, the other actors do try to keep it entertaining and able to pass an hour or so, certainly worth another watch,.

No wonder if she's a 50ft zombie.

MrBarlow 3rd April 2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 649167)
No wonder if she's a 50ft zombie.

:lol::pound:

MrBarlow 4th April 2021 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Vampire's Ghost. 1945.

In a African port, a small bar is run by Webb Fallon who is a vampire, Webb is slowly becoming tired of his life, when murders are being committed he is blamed by the locals.

This was a different take on the vampire genre, there is no gothic house or atmospheric scenery, there is some sympathy for the character Webb until his dark side emerges halfway through the film. John Abbott takes the lead role as the vampire who writes a book on how to properly kill a vampire,that may be used to kill him. I won't say this is a classic film but certainly enjoyable and worth a watch even for Adele Mara's exotic dance number.

Attachment 232342

SymbioticFunction 4th April 2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 648945)
Soul

Pixar Movie in which a Soul from a Jazz Musician tries to get back into the body instead of going to The Great Beyond. The Soul tries to mentor a new Soul that doesn't want to enter a body. I first thought that this was a sequel to Inside Out but to be honest for a Pixar Movie, I found this to be rather slow and boring (Apart from a couple of funny moments)

My wife and I loved Pixar's Soul. We found it to be funny and actually very moving. I'm not ashamed to say that my eyes were wet when it finished. It's the best standalone Pixar film in a very long time and takes you back to the quality times when they were on top of their game with projects like Up and WALL-E. It might possibly be, the very best Pixar movie to date and it honestly gets my highest recommendation. :)

trebor8273 4th April 2021 01:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6HqTjuZPAk

Highly enjoyable monster movie that looks fantastic , forget the human characters especially Miss Brown's team as they are secondary and it's all about Kong and Godzilla blowing and smashing shit up. The last act is spectacular with Kong and Godzilla teaming up to take down megagodzilla. The young deaf girl was by far the most interesting and likable human character and her relationship with Kong was quite touching. The kill rate puts man of steel to shame with hong Kong being virtually destroyed!

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_JU7HpSYQ

trebor8273 4th April 2021 05:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_JU7HpSYQ

Gordon Bombay is a lawyer whom is given community service to coach a inner city pee wee ice hockey team, which he's not happy about as he has dislike of the game after a disastrous game when he was a child. Can be turn these bunch of losers into a winning team and turn himself into a better person in the processs. A enjoyable and underdog story with a likable cast.

Up later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6enhzzeK6l0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUjZHFNMlOM

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2021 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Birds of Prey: and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn (2020)

How can a movie vary in quality so much from scene to scene? In this case it depends which characters are on screen.

Most of the characters range from minor irritants to genuinely annoying other than Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn who is fantastic and lights up the screen with her manic demeanor.

Plot wise i can't remember much except some annoying girl who swallows a diamond that a hammy Ewan McGregor want to get his hands on, but really for the 100 minutes run time (Thankfully it wasn't a film that went to Marvels's bum numbing lengths) i got by loving the crazy antics of Robbie's Harley in this violent, sweary and colourful mess of a movie.

Demoncrat 4th April 2021 06:37 PM

Most Disturbing Person On Planet Earth (2013)

Never again. Basically a series of clips showing some of the nastiest real footage I've seen in my life.
Not in anyway a recommendation.
:behindsofa:

To complete my Easter Sunday, I am now going to peruse something called Decapitarium :lol:

MrBarlow 4th April 2021 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House Of Secrets. 1936.

Barry a globe trotter is informed he has inherited a house in London, when he tries to see the house he is put of by a man living there, he is asked by the daughter of the doctor to let them stay there for six months. Barry decides to find out what they are hiding in the house.

I came across this one by fluke and even though the main character is frustrated at not seeing what is happening inside the house it does leave the viewer wondering what exactly is going on and seems to go in another direction of fortune hunters. At 70 minutes this film felt like I had watched it for two hours, as it seemed to drag on, not sure if it's the frame of mind i'm in or just this film, maybe a second watch may change my view.

Attachment 232371

nicholasrope 4th April 2021 08:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Timecop

Time travel is now a thing and criminals including a Presidential Candidate are travelling back in time changing history therefore it's up to Jean Claude Van Damme to stop them. One of my favorite Van Damme films, still an enjoyable watch.

Friday Night Lights

Fascinating film based on School American Football in Texas where the pressure on The Coach (Played brilliantly by Billy Bob Thornton) and players is so unfair, it's basically extreme. It's such a great film that you feel for them and whatever they are going through, you're going through it too.

I basically wanted them to go on the Pitch and basically stand there before a game and said enough is enough and I wanted Thornton's character to go off on all the people who felt that they know better than him and stick all their advice up their...

Even if your not an American Football fan, still watch this if you can.

Gauntlet

Clint Eastwood in a could have been Dirty Harry film in which he is charged with bringing a witness from Vegas to Phoenix whilst dealing with crooked Cops and Mafia Henchmen. One of those films, I was meaning to see and it was on TV and it's not a bad watch.

Shaft

Samuel L. Jackson is the Nephew of the original Shaft and he is determined to bring rich kid killer, Christian Bale to justice. Let's face it Jackson was the only choice to play this role, it fits him like a glove. Shorter than what I remembered it to be but still as watchable.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2021 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Bible: In the Beginning... (1966)

An epic tale of death and disaster, sex and violence.

Based on the best selling book.

Demoncrat 5th April 2021 10:06 AM

Decapitarium (2021, Jeff Dunn)

If the RLM bunch don't cover this in their next Spotlight feature ... :lol:

A rather focused scientist goes for broke with his latest set of experiments, and pays the price most unreservedly ahem.
I can't quite make my mind up with this daft little film. Were they going for parody? A Paris Hilton clone finds out not all is well at her local college. It's not exam fatigue :laugh:

Assignment Terror (1970)

AKA Dracula Vs Frankenstein.
Some aliens land with domination on their minds. Michael Rennie! Their plan is simple, reactivate some ancient foes in order to bring down society. A lot of fun this was. Paul Naschy turns up to put the proverbial hairy spanner in their works :rolleyes::lol:

The Cassandra Crossing (1976, George Pan Cosmatos)

Still one of my favourite disaster movies. A disparate bunch of travellers are forced into quarantine when one of their number is found to be carrying a nasty bug (and then some :laugh:). Richard Harris tries to remain calm. A hoot.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th April 2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 649209)
The Bible: In the Beginning... (1966)

An epic tale of death and disaster, sex and violence.

Based on the best selling book.

That genuinely made me laugh and I'm still chuckling at the droll joke as I write this.

:thankingyou:

Dave Boy 5th April 2021 01:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Continuing my Easter movies. I got behind because I was working all over the Easter period and more..

Attachment 232380
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST (2004)

Mel Gibson's violent and graphic depiction of the arrest, trial and crucifixion of Jesus.

Attachment 232381
JESUS OF NAZARETH (1977)

Four part mini series. Robert Powell as Jesus has never been bettered. An all star cast in this fantastic version of the life of Christ. Superb music score by Maurice Jarre. :star::star::star::star::star:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th April 2021 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Skin Collector (2012)

It's taken nine years for this serial killer film to get a release on these shores and i'm pleased it's finally arrived.

Whilst it's not in the same league as the best of the genre it's still a worthwhile addition. Starring John Jarratt as a killer who targets Danielle Harris whilst Casper Van Dien and Rae Dawn Chong are the detectives trying to track him down.

Although it's not exactly thrilling it always engages and throws up a surprise or two. Unfortunately the script at times is a let down with some clunky exposition as the detectives basically explain everything to one another or should i say to the viewer such as what a garrotte is. However there's some fun gore on offer and the finale is a gripper.

A final verdict would be that Skin Collector is occasionally flawed but entertaining all the same.

nicholasrope 5th April 2021 08:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mrs Doubtfire

Robin Williams is the divorced Father who dresses up in drag to be the Housekeeper to his ex-wife's house and look after his Children. This is a classic and still beloved movie.

Compliance

Incredibly based on 70 True Stories in which a Fast Food Restaurant Manger is coerced by a fake Police Officer over the phone into detaining and searching an employee which ends up being a Sexual Assault. A powerful film in which you wonder how people could be fooled by this and you think thank God when another employee sees through it.

On a side note, In Season 9 of Law And Order: Special Victims Unit, there is a episode based on this which guest stars, Robin Williams.

Trafficked

Another powerful film which sees Trafficked girls in a brothel plan their escape. Another film in which you are glad to see the bad guys get their comeuppance.