Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 9th July 2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 256240)
My landlady's son is currently staying with her. He is 16 years old

At time of writing, we have 'Epic Movie' on the DVD player. Oh joy! To make it even more enjoyable (?), he has chosen the audio track where the characters regularly break wind - yes, there is a 'guff commentary' on the film

Please kill me now!

Christ and I taught i was having a shit day.:eek:

Invid Ninja 9th July 2012 05:24 PM

For whatever reason I was in the mood to watch horror sequels that few people particularly
care about:

Psycho 2 - Surprisingly engaging, blackly comic follow up to Hitchcock's classic.

Alien 3 (Director's Cut) - Defended this as a young fan of the franchise in my early teens, now apart from the ending and some decent visual cues it's a resounding 'meh'.

Alien: Resurrection (Director's Cut) - Still utterly terrible after all these years, those who thought Prometheus ruined the Alien series would be wise to relive this wreck to set the record straight.

Slippery Jack 9th July 2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 256248)
Alien 3 (Director's Cut) - Defended this as a young fan of the franchise in my early teens, now apart from the ending and some decent visual cues it's a resounding 'meh'.

I prefer the ballsy opening to the ending, swiftly killing off the annoying kid and Action Man hero :clap: It's the repetitive 'run n' scream' climax that really lets it down for me . . .

Invid Ninja 9th July 2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 256256)
I prefer the ballsy opening to the ending, swiftly killing off the annoying kid and Action Man hero :clap: It's the repetitive 'run n' scream' climax that really lets it down for me . . .

I will give you that too, the one thing I personally thought was interesting were the POV shots from the Alien during the last chase; good offset to the quite jarringly bad matte effects used for the titular monster most of the time.

Slippery Jack 9th July 2012 06:16 PM

I don't know, I don't mind the monster effects - matting in a puppeteered creature seemed quite a novel approach to me - but then, I haven't seen it for a good while. Another big plus is the score by Elliot Goldenthal - really haunting stuff, second only to Goldsmith's for Alien. But then, the scores to all four alien films (not counting Prometheus) have been uniformly excellent :nod: . . .

Invid Ninja 9th July 2012 06:21 PM

The music is definetly a highlight, I usually love a good wonky matte effect but on Blu where the Alien's luminous green visage is projected against the prison's arid reds and oranges in quite eye-popping detail it's very strange to see. I suppose at the time they may have wanted to make the creature's dog/ox hybrid features seem more unnatural through this method.

:cool:

bdc 9th July 2012 07:42 PM

Five Element Ninjas aka Super Ninjas (1982)

"Two schools' rivalry comes to a bloody end when the master of the "evil" school hires a group of deadly ninjas to kill the members of the other."

What can I say about this Shaw classic...it's great fun if you like ninjas. ;)

Surprisingly bloody and gory as well and there's even some nudity.

5 Element Ninjas Celestial Trailer - YouTube

Nordicdusk 9th July 2012 08:48 PM

Laid to Rest

Not a bad film at all i went in expecting nothing and was surprised at what i got. The gore is done really well. I have Laid to Rest 2 on right now and it picks up right at the end of the first and like the first one starts off with some great gore.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th July 2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 256123)
I'm really in 2 minds about whether or not to go see this. I don't mind the idea of them rebooting it so soon after the Raimi films but I kinda object to it on the basis that it was done since the studio ran the original franchise into the ground with their interference. I might give it a go at some point as I don love these sort of films.

I was really impressed by this reboot, with different characters, narrative arcs, tone and aesthetic. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the sequel and whether Mark Webb (great name for someone to direct a Spider-Man film) and Andrew Garfield will be for however many films this series runs for in the same way as Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire did for their trilogy.

I saw it in 2D and can't imagine 3D adding anything to the viewing experience except making it darker!

demonknight 10th July 2012 04:11 PM

Watched zombie 3 over the weekend.
Jesus Christ.
Enough said.