Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th August 2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 263904)
Started watching arrested development. Now I can't stop. Carl Weathers just turned up and now I really want to watch action jackson, or maybe just predator.

Such a great show.

andgomorra 6th August 2012 01:12 AM

In the land of blood and honey. First film directed by Angelina jolee. Very good film about the war in Serbia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andgomorra 6th August 2012 04:12 AM

The iron lady turned out to be a fantastic historical drama. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Splat 6th August 2012 04:50 AM

Blood Pigs
Melancholie Der Engel
Cannibal

Hawkmonger 6th August 2012 06:23 AM

Had a marathon of the entire first series of Sherlock last night. Benedict Cummberbatch is with out a oubt part of the cream of the crop of new actors.
You can't go wrong with this series. Moffet and Gatiss get the balance between serious, disturbing, un-natural, supernatural, and humour just right.
Plus it has a head in a fridge. That's always a bonus.

keirarts 6th August 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 263905)
Such a great show.

It is indeed!

I was wary at first as the same person recommended me gavin and stacy and I thought that was dreadful.

bdc 6th August 2012 08:31 AM

In my effort to keep up with newer films I watched The Machine Girl (2008)
Very gory but some of the acting,the cinematography and the action choreography were underwhelming.
I must say the lead actress acted well (seeing this being her first film) but was obviously inexperienced in the action department.
Some of the older supporting actors were pretty good.
A big plus is that mostly old school fx were used (except for a totally misplaced cgi effect in the opening scene and some smaller fx).
But this could have used some erotica... ;)
Oh well considering the low budget I guess it's still ok+ (the + because of it being very gory and a bit weird).
Probably would have worked better as an anime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7xqgf43ibk

I then started watching Chanbara Beauty: The Movie (2008) but all the effects were so-so cgi so I couldn't keep watching...better cinematography and action choreography though.

Anyways newer Japanese movies are not really my thing I guess as I find them mostly too slow and too "dry" for my tastes.

I've switched back to the old HK stuff for now and have started watching Pituitary Hunter aka Brain Theft (1982/1990?) which so far hasn't disappointed,being very sleazy and weird... :thumb:

Gojirosan 6th August 2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 263950)
Probably would have worked better as an anime?

That it wasn't anime is what made it so successful, for me. I am biased, as I pretty much hate almost all anime, but had it been a cartoon it would have just been yet another lost in the plethora. I think this (and others of the ilk) are so interesting because they aren't anime.

bdc 6th August 2012 08:48 AM

That could be true but as an anime they could have done more with the budget I guess? ;)
I haven't seen many of these yet but I'm more interested in some of the less serious later comedy style ones for now.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th August 2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 263905)
Such a great show.

I recently watched the first season and, when I've finished watching Twin Peaks (I'm onto the last disc of season two), I'll begin watching the second season of Arrested Development. However, I also started watching Californication and thought the first episode was really good and have the seventh season of Curb Your Enthusiasm unwatched on my shelf, so it may be a case of less films and more TV!