All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2012, 07:09 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Well good for you. You got something out of it - that's fine. I was hoping to, but found it an ultimately shallow experience. Hey ho.
Absolutely, different strokes for different folks. Will say, gonna wash it down with some genre goodness. I'm thinking Yuzna's Society, blind bought it from HMV.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 20th November 2012, 07:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
REALLY want to see this one. Unfortunately my local is showing nativity 2 and a bunch of other crap, the only thing of interest to me is GAMBIT. Naturally they will never show the master as our town is populated by chavs.
Going to go see it in 70mm sometime between the 16th and 22nd of December
keirarts likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 20th November 2012, 08:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
Absolutely, different strokes for different folks. Will say, gonna wash it down with some genre goodness. I'm thinking Yuzna's Society, blind bought it from HMV.
Well there you go, something we might agree on. I love Society. A blind buy you say? It's quite something.
Old 20th November 2012, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Christmas Evil (though I think You Better Watch Out better suits the film)

A blind buy for me, and decided to read through the booklet on the train home. Interesting reading the director’s introduction, where he sort of dismisses Kim Newman’s ‘sober’ piece, saying he subscribes more to John Waters ironic, campy attitude towards his film. So going into the film I think I was expecting some kind of camp ‘so bad it’s good’ trash fest. Pleasantly surprised to find it wasn’t that at all, but a largely well-handled character piece. Reminded me a little of Don’t Go In the House and Dan Grimaldi’s sympathetic performance, eschewing the one-note psychopath route for something with a little more depth. Sure there were some enjoyably trashy moments and silliness (flaming torch wielding villagers straight out of Frankenstein!), but on the whole the film appeared to me to be playing it fairly straight (in a good way!). I’m interested to hear the commentary now. Hope Waters and Jackson don’t just spend it mocking the film. It’s much better than that . . .
I love this film. I'd probably go as far as to say it's one of my fave movies period. I'm not sure why, because objectively maybe it's not that great. But it just has a glum intensity, whereas the tongue in cheek moments do actually work.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 20th November 2012, 08:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I love this film. I'd probably go as far as to say it's one of my fave movies period.
Wow, high praise indeed! Looking forward to delving into the extras tonight . . .
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 20th November 2012, 09:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just finished watching Lifeforce for the first time. Never heard of it before the announcement from Shout Factory so thought I'd give it go and rented the DVD. Wow, I absolutely loved it. The effects were awesome and as I knew nothing about the synopsis I found myself swept along with the story as it almost changed genre from act to act. Just brilliant. Gonna have to check out the Blu for sure. Question is who will win my money? US region A or European region B. There's only one way to find out....... FIGHT!

PS. I think I have a new crush now too

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 20th November 2012, 09:19 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Just finished watching Lifeforce for the first time. Never heard of it before the announcement from Shout Factory so thought I'd give it go and rented the DVD. Wow, I absolutely loved it. The effects were awesome and as I knew nothing about the synopsis I found myself swept along with the story as it almost changed genre from act to act. Just brilliant. Gonna have to check out the Blu for sure. Question is who will win my money? US region A or European region B. There's only one way to find out....... FIGHT!

PS. I think I have a new crush now too
I adore Lifeforce, it's pure sci-fi insanity. For me, probably the best film to come from Cannon and I love a vast majority of the Golan-Globus output. Roll on that Shout Blu I say.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 20th November 2012, 11:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Best Boy (1979) a documentary by Ira Wohl following his 52 year old, mentally handicapped cousin, Philly around his day to day business, I'm sure you all will know it and if not describing any more will basically tell you most of the documentary. Very touching, certainly made me shed a tear or a thousand.
& The Naked Kiss (1964) which I'm sure most of you are aware of. Both Lovefilm rentals, pretty good day all in all. I'm sure I've watched some other films recently but I just can't remember, they must have been films I'd already watched.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:24 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Nine Dead: post-Saw psychological horror/thriller. A masked madman kidnaps nine people and keeps them each chained to a pole. The key to their survival lies in them working together to find out why they have all been put there; if so they'll be released and the madman will go to the police and confess. However, every ten minutes one person will die if they can't get to the answer. It's a so-so thriller for this type of film although deals horribly in crude stereotyping (black man; robber and gun dealer? Check! Overly camp gay person a child molestor? Check!) and also suffers from incredibly silly inconsistencies and moments where suspension of disbelief just won't cut it (one of the kidnapped is a Chinese woman who can't understand what everyone else says but at no point does she ever appear to be even remotely perturbed by the whole experience) It's an odd mix of Saw, 12 Angry Men and An Inspector Calls starring Melissa Joan-Hart who at times seems to be the one who knows more about this than any of the others and you get the feeling that if Clarissa Explains It All you'd be saved some time as the main reason to keep watching is to get to the secret.

Bloody Murder: teens at a summer camp get killed off by a mysterious hockey mask-wearing psycho. They spend a lot of the time thinking that the killer in question is someone called Jason...

Seriously.

Utterly dismal Friday the 13th knock-off from 2000 (a time where people should know better) which fails on every conceivable level. It's poorly written, looks ugly (even the credit sequences look hideous), badly acted, not scary (or even gory) and just stupefyingly dull. It attempts a vaguely thoughtful ending with two surviving Final Girls (both with gender neutral first names Carol J Clover fans!) but by this point who cares? It's been a while since I've seen a film with so much utter contempt for the audience. Bloody Murder? Bloody Awful.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last watched Zebra Crossing . A grim depressing B/W film of gang life on a London council estate. Not bad , and at times funny but definetley not a feel good film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!