Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 1st December 2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 297481)
PROMETHEUS: shit sandwich

Nooooooooo

It was certainly flawed but gets far too much undeserved flack in my eyes

Wes 1st December 2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 297480)
ALIEN RESURRECTION. A once great franchise gets covered in shit.

Worst of all, we can't blame this on a first time pop promo director but the great visualist reponsible for Delicatessen and City of Lost Children...

PaulD 1st December 2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 297485)
Worst of all, we can't blame this on a first time pop promo director but the great visualist reponsible for Delicatessen and City of Lost Children...

I think that's almost the problem with the film; his directorial style in no way suits an Alien film

Gojirosan 1st December 2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 297483)
Nooooooooo

It was certainly flawed but gets far too much undeserved flack in my eyes

Hehehe! But I had to use the Spinal Tap quote!

I thought it was utterly wretched, fully deserving of the flack and more. It was the worst film I've seen this year, but then I saw Red Riding Hood the other day...*shudder*

sawyer6 1st December 2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 297480)
ALIEN RESURRECTION. A once great franchise gets covered in shit.

You're exaggerating a bit

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2012 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let The Right One In. (2008)

I realize every one else on the forum probably saw this years ago, but i finally got round to giving it a go last night.

What a great little masterpiece it is. A haunting lullaby to all love that can never be. This Swedish film is mesmerizing from the start. Its sheer beauty interrupted by scenes of punishing horror. The snowy landscapes of urban Sweden are portrayed as a green lit canvas in which the drama plays out. And what drama? its mainly young cast are as one superb, totally believable from the off, in a story that whilst languid is utterly compelling.

Highly recommended.

PaulD 1st December 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 297506)
You're exaggerating a bit

Truly not. I think the first 3 although wildly different make a great trilogy. Resurrection is both unnecessary and poorly executed in my eyes

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st December 2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 297481)
PROMETHEUS: shit sandwich

You're thinking of the Spinal Tap album Shark Sandwich!

Wes 1st December 2012 06:51 PM

Half-watching Hunt for Red October on Film4 and even though it's difficult to mess up a submarine film, this is a surprisingly good film and I like it very much... Directed by John McTiernan, who's in the slammer these days I think...

Rik 1st December 2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 297510)
Let The Right One In. (2008)

I realize every one else on the forum probably saw this years ago, but i finally got round to giving it a go last night.

What a great little masterpiece it is. A haunting lullaby to all love that can never be. This Swedish film is mesmerizing from the start. Its sheer beauty interrupted by scenes of punishing horror. The snowy landscapes of urban Sweden are portrayed as a green lit canvas in which the drama plays out. And what drama? its mainly young cast are as one superb, totally believable from the off, in a story that whilst languid is utterly compelling.

Highly recommended.

I still haven't seen this although I have seen the remake, which I enjoyed despite what people have said about it