Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

mercury 15th June 2011 07:08 PM

Tightrope starring Clint Eastwood.:pop2:

Gojirosan 15th June 2011 08:54 PM

Tightrope is a stupidly under-rated film, in my book.

I have just returned from finally seeing Apocalypse Now on the big screen. I found it a very moving experience. Shed a lot of tears. I reckon I must have a mini-dose of Stendhal Syndrome! :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th June 2011 09:17 PM

This afternoon/evening I watched Husk on BD which was alright, but nothing special and Faccia a Faccia, which is much better than I expected even if the picture quality isn't outstanding.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th June 2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 158291)
This afternoon/evening I watched Husk on BD which was alright, but nothing special and Faccia a Faccia, which is much better than I expected even if the picture quality isn't outstanding.

I saw Husk on Saturday, you are right, every other scarecrow/ cornfield film seemed better.

nekromantik 15th June 2011 09:24 PM

Husk sucked lol

I went to see Xmen First Class tonight and it was awesome!!

But this years biggest will be Super 8!!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th June 2011 09:29 PM

I went to see X-Men: First Class at Cineworld on Tuesday only to find they'd cleaned the seats on Monday and they weren't dry. An hour's round trip for absolutely nothing!

nekromantik 15th June 2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 158298)
I went to see X-Men: First Class at Cineworld on Tuesday only to find they'd cleaned the seats on Monday and they weren't dry. An hour's round trip for absolutely nothing!

ouch :lol:
is that closest cinema?

Gojirosan 15th June 2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 158296)
But this years biggest will be Super 8!!

I am not generally a fan of big Hollywood popcorn-shifter blockbusters, nor am I a fan of JJ Abrams (admittedly, Star Trek was OK) or Steven Spielberg (admittedly, he has been behind at least two good films when he stays as a producer), but - for some reason - something intrigues me about Super 8.

Don't know if I'll pay cinema prices to see it, mind...

nekromantik 15th June 2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 158312)
I am not generally a fan of big Hollywood popcorn-shifter blockbusters, nor am I a fan of JJ Abrams (admittedly, Star Trek was OK) or Steven Spielberg (admittedly, he has been behind at least two good films when he stays as a producer), but - for some reason - something intrigues me about Super 8.

Don't know if I'll pay cinema prices to see it, mind...

I love both people ha ha
:lol:

Lost is the best thing EVER to grace TV screens and Star Trek and Cloverfield was amazing.

And Jurassic Park, ET, Schindlers List, Poltergiest (even tho it was a Hooper flick, SS was said to do most of the movie and it does feel like a SS movie). Close Encounters all CLASSICS!

When two people like that come together then the end product will never be bad.

Gojirosan 15th June 2011 11:38 PM

Well, I hated Lost and despised Cloverfield (seriously, one of my all-time worst films) and of the Spielberg related films you mention I only have any time for Poltergeist and Close Encounters... so you'll excuse me if I dread the pair of them getting together! :lol:

gag 16th June 2011 12:15 AM

Spielberg

Directed over 30 films

Duel ...fantastic film
Jaws ....no need to say anything film title says it all
Cllose encounters
Raiders lost ark
ET
Indiana jones
Jurrasic park
Schindlers list
AI

Just a few to name

He was writer for

Close encounters
Et
Poltergiest
Goonies
Ai

and other things

Poducer

Twilight zone
Gremlins
Men in black 2
Money pit
Arachnophobia

Just some films to name of but he produced over 50 films

Also collaborated with other famous film directors

His list of films is endless what"s not to like about him

Gojirosan 16th June 2011 01:24 AM

Well there are a number of films on that list I do not like (pretty much everything after Close Encounters... though I did like Empire Of The Sun and thought Catch Me If You Can was OK despite its flaws). With some exceptions, his films are not to my taste. That's not to say they are "bad films" (the man is clearly very talented), just that I either don't like them or think they are average entertainments that don't make much of an impression (upon me) otherwise.

He has a better track record as a producer from the 80s on, for my taste - Back To The Future, Poltergeist, Arachnophobia

Duel, Jaws and Something Evil are sublime, however. I guess I liked his youthful verve and style.

I don't like The Beatles either...

:lol:

nekromantik 16th June 2011 01:28 AM

ha ha
well Im speechless!

Pete 16th June 2011 01:31 AM

Just watched the Arrow BD of BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE and the picture looks really good (although there is less grain than the BU edition). It's just a real shame it's cropped as it does effect the film and makes Argento look a bit incompetent as a filmmaker, like he's incapable of framing a shot correctly. Storaro is a total ****.:censored:

Also watched the Troma BD of POULTRYGEIST and I enjoyed it although some of songs irritated me. I'll probably never eat chicken again though :tongue1: For some reason I couldn't access the extras, anyone else have that problem?

pedromonkey 16th June 2011 01:48 AM

just watched Drive Angry, great fun, violent, funny and Cage is great, amber Heard is hot and William Fitchner steals the film as the accountant....

PaulD 16th June 2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 158298)

Just think of how thrilling the film must be if they have to give the seats a good clean afterwards!

I watched Foxy Brown and Paul last night. The former was great, the latter not so much. A few laughs but the humour was too broad overall and they got way too much mileage out of the sweary-jokes.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 158306)
ouch :lol:
is that closest cinema?

It's the closest multiplex. There is a cinema in Darlington, but it has a crappy sound system and tiny screens in comparison. Plus I have a Unlimited card at Cineworld so I don't need to pay anything when I get there.

As for Spielberg, I also think Jaws, Duel and CE3K are the best films he's made as director (I didn't rate his War of the Worlds remake at all). However, I really liked the stuff JJ Abrams has directed, written and produced so I'm also intrigued by 8mm.

nekromantik 16th June 2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 158354)
It's the closest multiplex. There is a cinema in Darlington, but it has a crappy sound system and tiny screens in comparison. Plus I have a Unlimited card at Cineworld so I don't need to pay anything when I get there.

As for Spielberg, I also think Jaws, Duel and CE3K are the best films he's made as director (I didn't rate his War of the Worlds remake at all). However, I really liked the stuff JJ Abrams has directed, written and produced so I'm also intrigued by 8mm.

Ah right. Back in Bristol im like 45 min walk from Cinema De Lux which is a posh multiplex lol 13 screens plus 2 director's lounge screens which have a private bar and leather seats that recline and u can order snacks and drinks from your seat :)

PaulD 16th June 2011 10:54 AM

Where's the Cineworld then Nos? I wish we had one near me in Newcastle - I'd go a lot more if I had one of those unlimited cards.

Gojirosan 16th June 2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 158336)
just watched Drive Angry, great fun, violent, funny and Cage is great, amber Heard is hot and William Fitchner steals the film as the accountant....

I've seen Amber Heard in a few films now and I think she's a shining star for the future. Great screen presence, good actor, seems to inhabit her rôles. Just hope she avoids any further Pineapple Express type mistakes! :lol:

Last night I watched a couple of flicks from 2007's 8 Films To Die For:

Unearthed - mediocre monster flick that passes the time. It's rubbish, steals from the Alien films so heavily I would have thought it actionable, and a great deal of screen time is either too dark or too rapidly edited or has too jerky camera moves to actually see what on earth is going on. I would have been harsher on it, but I realised that if it had been made in the early 80s in Italy we'd all be clamouring for a Special Edition release.

Mulberry Street - thought I'd finally sit down and watch this as I was so impressed by the writer/directors' current film, Stake Land. The British DVD title (Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street) is very misleading - this is an "infected" film rather than zombies. So far as I am concerned this is a big discovery.A superb, tense, excellently made arthouse horror films that has,like, a good script, and well drawn characters and superb handheld camerawork reminiscent of Abel Ferrara's "grit not gloss" films. Written down the premise is ridiculous (a rat borne virus turns victims into flesh-eating "rat people") buit it really, really works. And works extremely well. Besides, is the idea of corpses coming to life to eat flesh/drink blood any less absurd? There is some (very) dark humour and satire here, but it lurks beneath the visceral tension. It's a fantastic film and I genuinely feel like I've made a big discovery. That so much can be done with so little money (the film-makers had to rely upon guerrilla film-making and unpaid favours from friends and family to get it made apparently) is an abject lesson to all film-makers and to the obscene high budget crap that Hollywood's bowels regularly void.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 158375)
Where's the Cineworld then Nos? I wish we had one near me in Newcastle - I'd go a lot more if I had one of those unlimited cards.

It's straight off the A66 and is near the railway station in the 'Middlesbrough Leisure Park'.

Here's a link to the Middlesbrough Cineworld page which has the address and postcode so you can use Google Maps to see exactly where it is:

Cineworld Cinemas: Cineworld Cinema In Middlesbrough See Film Times For The Latest Movies & 3D Films and Book tickets for Performances In Middlesbrough

PaulD 16th June 2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 158438)
It's straight off the A66 and is near the railway station in the 'Middlesbrough Leisure Park'.

Here's a link to the Middlesbrough Cineworld page which has the address and postcode so you can use Google Maps to see exactly where it is:

Cineworld Cinemas: Cineworld Cinema In Middlesbrough See Film Times For The Latest Movies & 3D Films and Book tickets for Performances In Middlesbrough

Nah, too far for me to venture for the sake of a Cineworld Unlimited card!

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spielberg's The Terminal is a fantastic film. Both funny and moving, absolutely terrific.

As for JJ Abrams, he has yet to do anything better than Alias imo.

nekromantik 16th June 2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 158415)

Mulberry Street - thought I'd finally sit down and watch this as I was so impressed by the writer/directors' current film, Stake Land. The British DVD title (Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street) is very misleading - this is an "infected" film rather than zombies. So far as I am concerned this is a big discovery.A superb, tense, excellently made arthouse horror films that has,like, a good script, and well drawn characters and superb handheld camerawork reminiscent of Abel Ferrara's "grit not gloss" films. Written down the premise is ridiculous (a rat borne virus turns victims into flesh-eating "rat people") buit it really, really works. And works extremely well. Besides, is the idea of corpses coming to life to eat flesh/drink blood any less absurd? There is some (very) dark humour and satire here, but it lurks beneath the visceral tension. It's a fantastic film and I genuinely feel like I've made a big discovery. That so much can be done with so little money (the film-makers had to rely upon guerrilla film-making and unpaid favours from friends and family to get it made apparently) is an abject lesson to all film-makers and to the obscene high budget crap that Hollywood's bowels regularly void.

If you wanna see another good After Dark flick check out The Hamiltons :)
its getting a sequel too, also Seconds Apart from this years AD was pretty good for a AD flick too/

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 158469)
Spielberg's The Terminal is a fantastic film. Both funny and moving, absolutely terrific.

I thought it worked well when it was just Tom Hanks with a 'foreign' accents living in the airport and the romance with Catherine Zeta-Jones just felt tacked on and unnecessary. Hanks is a better comedic actor than dramatic one as anyone who's seen Big and some of his early work (such as The Bachelor Party) would know.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 158474)
I thought it worked well when it was just Tom Hanks with a 'foreign' accents living in the airport and the romance with Catherine Zeta-Jones just felt tacked on and unnecessary. Hanks is a better comedic actor than dramatic one as anyone who's seen Big and some of his early work (such as The Bachelor Party) would know.

When i said moving, i meant at the end of the film, his relationship as you say feels a bit tacked on.

For a small film though, it beats quite a few of Spielbergs huge blockbusters in my eyes.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 158475)
When i said moving, i meant at the end of the film, his relationship as you say feels a bit tacked on.

For a small film though, it beats quite a few of Spielbergs huge blockbusters in my eyes.

I read about the real case on which this is based and it was fascinating stuff. The Terminal is, as you say, better than some of Spielberg's blockbusters such as War of the Worlds. I thought that was rubbish, came down to check the reviews and was amazed to find so many glowing comments and high marks. Thinking I must have missed something, I went back to watch it again and dozed off for a bit in the middle!

PaulD 16th June 2011 06:50 PM

Just watched The House of the Devil.

I really enjoyed this, very slow for the most part although I didn't mind that. Just before the final scene I felt a bit cheated but then it ended brilliantly. It looked really authentic too, in terms of an 80's teenager-in-peril/satanism movie.

oaxaca 16th June 2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 158482)
Just watched [b]The House of the Devil[b].

I really enjoyed this, very slow for the most part although I didn't mind that. Just before the final scene I felt a bit cheated but then it ended brilliantly. It looked really authentic too, in terms of an 80's teenager-in-peril/satanism movie.

Agree completely. A great homage to the legendary 80s horrors.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Just watched [b]The House of the Devil[b].

Loved it.

It is very much about tension and atmosphere. Any reader wanting thrills and spills should look elsewhere.

PaulD 16th June 2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 158484)
Loved it.

It is very much about tension and atmosphere. Any reader wanting thrills and spills should look elsewhere.

Yeah, definitely. There was a bit where I thought "but shouldn't something actually happen!?" (other than the bit with her friend in the car which was clearly put in there as a "no, this *is* a horror film you're watching"-moment) but I just went with it and it all turned out satisfactorily :)

Gojirosan 16th June 2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 158474)

As you might imagine, I did not like The Terminal one bit. I couldn't even watch it through to the end. I don't like how Spielberg does sentiment. It's so unsubtle and sickly. Mawkish rather than moving.

The combination of Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg is not a good cocktail for me! :lol:

For me Hanks was at his best in the likes of Big and Splash. I've not liked his later career for the most part, though was pleased he didn't manage to ruin The Road To Perdition.

Gojirosan 16th June 2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 158473)
If you wanna see another good After Dark flick check out The Hamiltons :)
its getting a sequel too, also Seconds Apart from this years AD was pretty good for a AD flick too/

On the list, cheers!

platostotal 16th June 2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 157709)
I totally forgot that I had a copy of 5 Deadly Venoms, so yesterday I decided to watch it. Its awsome, I love the atomosphere, the kung fu, the story Shaw Brothers are pretty hard to beat when it comes to martial arts films.

Also saw Hangover 2 and X-Men First Class at the cinema recently. Hangover was funny, but it was pretty much beat for beat the first film, so I didnt enjoy it as much as the part 1.

X-Men First Class was really cool, my GF is a huge fan of James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, so she was in her element. If you like X-Men it's definately worth a watch and totally makes up for X-Men 3 & Wolverine

5 Deadly Venoms:) is a fave of mine, had it on vhs and... lost it(sigh)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Just watched The House of the Devil.

I reviewed the DVD just before it came out and have no idea where it went. It is a BD I've been meaning to buy for ages and this may be the prompt I need -- it is a top movie.

PaulD 16th June 2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 158518)
I reviewed the DVD just before it came out and have no idea where it went. It is a BD I've been meaning to buy for ages and this may be the prompt I need -- it is a top movie.

If you're not too bothered about a SD version of the film I've got a spare brand new/sealed version of the dvd I picked up at a pound shop I could send you. Don't mind paying the p&p as I'll just send it 2nd class. Up to you :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 158523)
If you're not too bothered about a SD version of the film I've got a spare brand new/sealed version of the dvd I picked up at a pound shop I could send you. Don't mind paying the p&p as I'll just send it 2nd class. Up to you :)

That would be great although I would feel better if I sent you some money.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th June 2011 08:35 PM

Actually, scratch that. I've just had a look and have found the review disc, but many thanks for the offer.

PaulD 16th June 2011 08:42 PM

Ah right, fair enough! I only offered as I picked up a couple of copies as they were £1 each and figured I could pass them on. Seemed like a good deal

antmumford 16th June 2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 158354)
I'm also intrigued by 8mm.

I think you mean Super 8 mate ;)