Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

J Harker 25th March 2013 09:11 PM

Bugger all. Oh finished Game of Thrones Season 2. Disappointing, not read the books admittedly, but the second series just introduced too many new characters too quick for my liking. Felt rushed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2013 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Cutter (2005)

One of the weakest Chuck Norris films i've seen. The film about the cutting of diamonds with Chuck protecting an ageing diamond merchant was just uninspiring and the action scenes were probably the weakest i've seen Norris perform, which is understandable given he would have been around 65 when the film was made, but never the less it was all quick cutaways like Steven Seagal's DTV output rather than actually showing much in the way of full contact.

Don't get me wrong, it was watchable, but Chuck has done far,far better. For Norris completists only.

Invid Ninja 25th March 2013 09:46 PM

One other film I got around to today. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ovieposter.jpg

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra (2009) - Don't hate me but, I have a lot of fun with this film. Deliriously stupid but without the grating annoyance of Bay's Transformers films. Not much to say, but I think I'm the only one who's looking forward to the second. I know, shameful. :o

Happy viewing. :popcorn:

Hawkmonger 25th March 2013 09:48 PM

Yup, GIJ:RoC is good fun.:nod:

J Harker 25th March 2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 330635)

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra (2009) - Don't hate me but, I have a lot of fun with this film. Deliriously stupid but without the grating annoyance of Bay's Transformers films. Not much to say, but I think I'm the only one who's looking forward to the second. I know, shameful. :o

Not at all, I thoroughly enjoyed Rise of the Cobra. One of those films that was way more entertaining than expected. And I expected ok.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

keirarts 25th March 2013 11:01 PM

The Island.

Michael Caine plays a journalist and world's greatest dad off top investigate a spate of missing boats in a group of islands near florida only to discover a group of savage inbred pirates that have been isolated from the modern world. I say worlds greatest dad as caines character lets his son read playboy, buys hin a .22 pistol and takes him off in search of the murderous pirates leading to his son becoming kidnapped, brainwashed and ultimately a killer!
I can see why the film wasnt a big success, tonally the film is all over the place, the opening feels like the hills have eyes on water, with even more eye popping brutality, but then when we get introdued to the pirates they seem....well kind of silly... certainly David warner, michael elphick and tinker from lovejoy failed to elicit any real sense of fear from me. That said the films still entertaining and worth checking out nontheless.

Highlander 2: Renegade edition.

Of all the pointless sequels in the world, Highlander 2 was always the most pointless for me. The film had f*****g ended perfectly, and adding a whole nother lair to the back story, in this case the the immortals are time travelers (or aliens?) and the earth is the future, as soon as more immortals turn up the whole thing kicks offf again. It all feels like a desperate attempt at writing the film out of a corner. Theres some bizarre segways into pantomime humour and michael ironside feels like he's simply doing the worlds worst Clancy brown impression.
The extended and re-edited renegade edition is still a bad film, but its more enjoyably bad, this time round I got to at least enjoy some of the great pre-cg effects work, virginia madsen is hot and the whole silly mess feels like the product of some hollywood execs coke binge that got way out of hand. Idiotic fun.

troggi 25th March 2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 330635)

I concur but, then again, I am a self confessed viewer of, what my wife likes to call, "complete crap." I prefer to see it as the "glorious ephemera of modern society."

So stick that in your pipe and blow bubbles
!:whoo:

Vampix 25th March 2013 11:43 PM

Watched Return of the Living Dead on Blu-ray with the original soundtrack.A great fun film with nice performances from James Karen, Thom Mathews, Don Calfa, Clu Gulager and Linnea Quigley.The tarman is one of my favourite movie zombies of all time, but the zombie extras make-up left a lot to be desired (most of them didn't even look like they had make-up applied).The half-corpse and brain-munching dwarf zombie are faves too. :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th March 2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 330623)
Was Grave Encounters any good B_E?

It wasn't too bad - of all the pseudo documentary/found footage ghost hunter films I've seen, it's certainly one of the better ones. I've heard that the sequel is awful, though.

jiraffejustin 26th March 2013 12:43 AM

I finally got around to watching The Wicker Man and it was a weird experience. Everything was borderline ridiculous and could easily have come off as ludicrous as the remake. However, it was held in place by a solid performance from Edward Woodward and direction from Robin Hardy. It was also completely bonkers. In a good way of course. Also the soundtrack is very creepy in a folksy way. Just a fantastic, weird film that I have a feeling will be sticking with me for awhile.

I also watched 97 version of Funny Games. Michael Haneke hates his audience. But the film is fantastic.