Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th November 2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 47617)
Just finished watching the Code Red release of Messiah of Evil. I love this film, and it's nice to see it cleaned up a bit at last. :cool:

So it justifies getting rid of my Synergy release then B.E.?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th November 2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 47637)
So it justifies getting rid of my Synergy release then B.E.?

Yep, it's a terrific package reaps. It's got a brand spanking new 16x9 2.35:1 transfer, plus some nice extras including two short films and a director's commentary. :cool:

Gojirosan 11th November 2009 11:58 PM

I am really looking forward to my "Messiah Of Evil" arriving! The way you guys describe it has me practically salivating! :lol:

alex s 12th November 2009 08:45 AM

just watched this

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...ssguerilla.jpg

90 minuetes of excellent mindless entertainment. plays like an updated female version of The Wild Ones, with lots of catfights, nudity, mobsters , even a seduction of priest:woot:

i do recommend seeking this on out

pedromonkey 12th November 2009 11:40 AM

watched the shameless release of OASIS OF FEARlast night, that is a damn fine movie, but an 18 certificate? really?, and Ornella Mutti, that is one hot hippy.
i now have three shameless titles, wooowhooo.

42ndStreetFreak 12th November 2009 06:29 PM

Love a bit of Reiko Ike! :popcorn:

"Nowhere to Hide"

The under-appreciated Amy "Streets of Fire" Madigan (one of those forgotten Oscar winners) stars as the tough wife of a murdered Airforce Major, who was killed because he was investigating a series of mysterious helicopter crashes.
On the run for her life,with her little boy, she fights to discover the truth....

Dreadfully overlooked little action thriller from (I assume) Canada.
Low budget it may be, but thanks to a stirling cast, fine acting, a tight pace and well staged action this conspiracy thriller has been a favourite of mine for many years.

While not overly violent it does have its moments, the strongest being the blood spattered shooting of the Husband (well played and who could easily have been a likeable lead hero) that ends on a genuinely disturbing note when his body drops onto the bed where his Son is hiding, meaning the child has to look right into the blood smeared face and staring eyes of his dead father.

Madigan is great here and does a superb job essaying a tough, resilient woman, a grief stricken widow, a terrified victim and a determined Mother throughout the movie.
The film makes her a strong nemesis for the bad guys (she despatches them with everything from guns to a blowtorch), while never (until the rather OTT finale) moving her away from what she ultimately is...A realisticlly scared, grieving, woman trying to protect her child.

Lots of tense moments and action is spaced nicely into the opening hour, and one of the best parts of the film has yet to even make an appearance...Michael Ironside!
The always welcome and wonderful Mr Ironside plays an ex-Army family friend, who now lives as a recluse in the mountains, who Madigan turns to for help when all seems lost, and he does a lovely job in a (sadly) too short role.
But he has a chance to shine as he takes out bad guys with his doberman dogs and deadly bow and arrows!

Should be better known and available.
Check it out for some solid, no nonsense, well acted, very 80's (bad 'military' synth score included) action funstuffs.

Philleh 12th November 2009 06:32 PM

Pedro, it was upgraded to an 18 thanks to the trailers :)

Pete 12th November 2009 06:39 PM

The BBFC say it was rated 18 because of Strong Sex and Threat of Torture.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th November 2009 06:49 PM

Just watched The Dead Pit - one of my favourite brainless zombie gore-fests! :biggrin:

Philleh 12th November 2009 06:50 PM

Really? ha ha. I thought it would have been the trailers - derp, my bad.