Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st January 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 60635)
You'll feel no pain........ :chainsaw: :lol:

I don't feel any pain anyway.Call me.......Darkman! :biggrin:

vincenzo 31st January 2010 11:43 AM

Try listening to the Shat's legendary Transformed Man album. Then you'll know what pain is. :fear: :laugh:

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st January 2010 11:45 AM

Oh come on,Shatners rendition of Rocket Man is the stuff of legend.Big up the Shat.:thumb:

vincenzo 31st January 2010 11:56 AM

His canine howl at the end of Mr Tambourine Man convinces me that he is indeed not of this earth. :lol:

Pigasus 31st January 2010 12:46 PM

Never heard Shatner's singing (unless I blanked the memory of it)... but I think he was really great in TV comedy-drama Boston Legal.
:biggrin:

BioZombie 31st January 2010 12:47 PM

I watched Ninja Terminator last night, the plot was all over the place but there was some good ninja fun with plenty of samurai swords, throwing stars and weird ninja gas. There is also a lot of quite well choeographed kung fu to fill out the action. The dvd failed on me 10 mins from the end so its seems I'll never know if the good guy won, but what can you expect for 50p.

Gojirosan 31st January 2010 01:03 PM

The Hanging Woman

I've been trying to sit down and watch this for ages now and finally achieved it! Two things to cover there, the film and the presentation:

1. It's a wonderful film - cheesy Gothic of the highest (lowest?) order. Insanely plotted with a great ambience, some of the acting is a little creaky, but the characters are pretty well developed. I heartily enjoyed it. I was particularly impressed with Paul Naschy as a necrophiliac gravedigger for the simple reason that he looked like me! It was, at times, a bit disconcerting, it was like seeing myself a few years ago on the screen! :lol:

2. Troma's disk raises some issues for someone as anal about film presentation as I am. IMDb claims that the film was presented in Widescreen ie 1.85:1, and many folk online have bemoaned that Troma offer a full-screen rendering. However, the framing looks absolutely fine throughout at 4:3, shots have clearly been composed for the Academy ratio. Further more, zooming in to 1.85:1/16:9 seems to work really rather well. I presume this is an unmatted print and that very little video information has been cropped from the sides. Bearing in mind where such a film was expected to be shown in 1973, I think it was intended to be shown with variable ratios to suit any kind of fleapit with dodgy equipment. Thus, I wouldn't be too het up about it being in 4:3, it works. More worrying is that it is clearly from a VHS (or dodgy U-matic) master complete with grain and distortion to the picture early on. Matters improve as the film progresses, though.

I think this is a film worth seeing if such things are your bag, and I suspect Troma have done the best they could. So, snap it up!

DeadAlive 31st January 2010 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Windstalkers - John Woo directs the action sequences with his usual flair but between the scenes of carnage and mayhem this does drag just a little. The one thing that surprises me the most though is that John Woo manages to get quite a solid performance out of Nic Cage. Nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews would suggest but a long way down from Woo's classic Bullet In The Head.

pedromonkey 31st January 2010 04:37 PM

deadalive i totally agree with you on windtalkers.

i watched Smoking Aces 2: Assassin's Ball, last night and while not being a scratch on the first, manages to pull off an extremely entertaining action film.

there were two extremely well staged shoot outs that are reminicient of the bar room gun fight in Desperado and alot of death, The cast is pretty good too, with Tom Berenger giving an interesting part to play, Michael Parks is fun as usual as the father of the remaining Tremor family, there are hot chicks big guns and flying midgets, the only problem i had was Vinni Jones' character, although Jones plays him well, they kind of switch this insane surgical assassin from unremorsful to a complete pansy with no explanation. There were some obvious Budget limitations, CGI explosions, Back Projection during in-car scenes and the fact that it was shot on diabolical Digital film (which at points looks a little student filmaker-ish) the dialog is pretty good. yes the film has it's flaws but this is ten times better than anything Seagal has made in ten years. A recommended rental.

Daemonia 31st January 2010 04:45 PM

Shuttle (2009) - Two girls, who are friends, arrive home from abroad. It's late at night and decide to take the Shuttle bus to downtown. Only problem is, the bus driver is actually setting up to kidnap the girls - for reasons that soon become clear. The main problem with the film is that it lacks any real tension or drama and just sort of chugs along until it runs out of steam (or the filmmakers ran out of money). A good idea, but in the hands of a more capable director and a bigger budget, this could really have been something special. As it stands, it's worth a look, but nothing outstanding.

Creepshow (1982) - Decided to give the Blu-ray of this spin, as I'm a huge fan of the film. 5 stories linked by a comic book which feature zombies, a creature in a crate, bugs, meteors and more. It's a great film and the Blu-ray looks stunning. Pity it's only a bare-bones disc, so I'll be hanging onto the UK SE for all the extras.

Stargate - Caught this on Blu-ray and enjoyed it again. Scientists discover a 'Stargate' in the deserts of Africa and manage to recativate it, allowing them to instantly travel to another point in the universe. A group of soldiers, led by a fierce Kurt Russell and accompanied by scientist James Spader, venture into the Stargate and to another world of action and adventure. Good fun and the Blu-ray looks stunning.

The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue (1974) - Finally got hold of this on Blu-ray and it's the best it has ever looked - an absolutely flawless presentation. Fair play to Blue Underground, they really know what they're doing.

The Walking Dead (1936) - A crime syndicate made up of powerful but corrupt men decide a Judge must die, as he is perilously close to exposing them. To this end, they frame newly-released John Ellman (Boris Karloff) for the murder and he is subsequently executed. However, his story doesn't end there, as a scientist with groundbreaking technology brings him back from death. Ellman then sets about seeking revenge, after a fashion. It's an intriguing film and I thoroughly enjoyed it, one of Karloff's best, I reckon. Also look out for Edmund Gwenn as the scientist, he's probably better known for playing Kris Kringle/Santa Clause in the festive film Miracle on 34th Street.

Invisible Agent - A descendant of the man who discovered the invisibility volunteers to use it on himself to spy on the Nazis and gain valuable information. Hugely enjoyable and a decent entry in the series.

Bangkok Dangerous (2008) - Nic Cage is hitman 'Joe' who finds himself in Bangkok (obviously!) where he is to carry out four hits. However, he breaks his own rule when he befriends a local lad who he enlists to assist him. he also finds himself falling for a young female pharmacist and finds his conscience is pricked when he is ordered to assassinate a leading politician. Things soon escalate and he finds himself the prey instead of the hunter. It's not a bad film overall and the Pang Brothers direct with confidence. However, the middle section drags a bit - but the ending is phenomenal, pure class and totally un-Hollywood. If they had managed the same genius throughout the entire film, this could've been a minor masterpiece. As it stands, it's an enjoyable enough film and definitely worth a look. Though Nic really needs to do something with that crap hairstyle he's got going on.

Book of Blood (2009) - Paranormal investigators enlist the help of a young lad with clairvoyant powers to investigate an allegedly haunted location. Things start getting a bit weird, with the young lad being attacked and subject to paranormal forces. But it quickly becomes apparent that he's faking it - or is he? Because suddenly they are confronted with a very real force and the lad finds himself as a 'book of blood' - the dead write their stories into his living flesh. This was actually very, very good and was more like an old school horror. Even the music score was reminiscent of 80's horror fare. Nice to see director John Harrison still working too. Recommended.