Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

James Morton 1st February 2010 01:26 AM

'What films have you seen recently?'‏

Romero's BRUISER, not one of his best but still good
Argento's underrated MOTHER OF TEARS, still great horror from the master
De Palma's BLOW OUT, again an underrated film, from the master of suspense
Fulci's DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING, a very good giallo
Jake West's DOGHOUSE, very funny and some good gore
SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS, an overrated giallo
Ferrara's KING OF NEW YORK, not as good as I hoped
Carpenter's best film THE THING, excellent non-CGI horror
Pitof's VIDOCQ, an underrated and fantastic French CGI horror
MARTYRS, another French horror, I enjoyed it but went in another direction, and the story about those business people wanting to know about martyrdom was stupid
Cameron's TRUE LIES, very good
TERMINATOR 2, the best of the series, TERMINATOR SALVATION is just crap, directed by the same guy who directed the CHARLIE'S ANGELS crap!

Wolf 1st February 2010 02:44 AM

Finally got round to watching Driller Killer.

I liked it. It had a kind of bleak atmosphere throughout and some good deaths.

nekromantik 1st February 2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 60740)
TERMINATOR SALVATION is just crap, directed by the same guy who directed the CHARLIE'S ANGELS crap!

I agree that as a Terminator movie it was quite weak but as a stand alone action movie I quite enjoyed it. McG is a bit like Michael Bay as he can do very good action sequences but as far as story goes, they are both sh*t.
:lol:

antmumford 1st February 2010 11:20 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed Terminator Salvation. I played it really loud so I could engross myself into it more. Much, much better than I expected after hearing bad things about it.
Full of great camera work and excellent action, brilliantly directed too. Very impressed.
I've spoken to a few people about this film and it seems lots more agree that it is highly underated. It was never going to have that raw, edgy feel like the original 2 did as modern day films can't quite pull that off but for what it was, it was great.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st February 2010 11:38 AM

I had the narrow-sightedness to pay to watch Terminator Salvation at the cinema... :ack: It makes T3 look like Citizen Kane! :eek: :lol:

Paul@TheOverlook 1st February 2010 12:24 PM

Recent viewings:

Cinema:

Sherlock Holmes – Great fun
The Road - very good, very bleak, but hampered by what I think is a very weak ending
44 Inch Chest – way better than the reviews would suggest. Yes it's stagey but it's also well written and brilliantly acted by a great ensemble.
Up In The Air – best film I've seen in the cinema for some time. This is a great flick.
Edge of Darkness – still not seen Martin Campbell's original mini series (though I've had the DVD release for eons) this big screen translation is a good, gritty and quite compelling conspiracy thriller. Not brilliant but well worth watching.

DVD:

Into The Night – Had never seen this John Landis-directed comedy/thriller. Very entertaining though not a classic by any stretch of the imagination.

Blu-ray

Antichrist – still undecided on what to make of this. It's definitely a brilliantly crafted film and is by turns dramatic, thrilling and downright squirm-inducing. Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg are both brilliant too. Just fely a little bludgeoned by all the heavy-handed symbolism, but I'm sure that was Von Trier's point.
Suspiria – talked about this in the film-specific thread. Great transfer that really does justice to this marvel of artistic filmmaking.
Gamer – daft but very fun. Wasn't expecting to like this one at all, so I was pleasantly surprised.
A Perfect Getaway – nice, twisty survival thriller from David Twohy. Well worth watching.
Wake In Fright – brilliant, supposedly lost film from Australia in the 70s. Very well made (by Ted Kotcheff who would go on to direct First Blood), featuring great performances from lead Gary Bond and Donald Pleasance. Beware: there is some extremely troubling animal cruelty in this film.

Daemonia 1st February 2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 60708)
iAnd It does'nt surprise me that Tarantino knows who Hugo Stiglitz is because the man would put any of us to shame over movie knowlage, well maybe not Vincenzo.

Shame he doesn't quite know what constitutes a Grindhouse movie though...well, not if Death Proof is anything to go by...

Tarantino certainly appears to know his stuff, though. I'll give him that.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st February 2010 05:26 PM

Yesterday I watched;

REVOLVER-Cracking little film that deserves to be better known.
Oliver Reed and Fabio Testi are on fine form as a prison warden and convict forced to form an uneasy alliance to rescue Reed's wife from gangsters.

THE HEROIN BUSTERS-Dumb but entertaining enough actioner with some horrendous fashion styles!:laugh:

THE CHILLING-A RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD clone from the late eighties which has quite a few in-jokes.
Some folk rate this,but I found my attention wandering quite regularly.
Code Red have did a sterling job with the disc though.:nod:

Ste67GB 1st February 2010 06:28 PM

re: What films have you seen recently?

Watched My Dear Killer, liked the decapitation by digger/crane.

mbv 1st February 2010 08:32 PM

Just watched The Bronx Warriors. Loved it. :nod: